Better hope you have good car counts...

nape

I'm thinking Toyo should have increased the contingency money, not cut it, for making us run on the 8's in the first place.

So, they force a mistake onto the backs of the racers, then they make us pay for their mistakes. Ahhh, corporate life, ain't it great.

Of course, we are all grateful for any crumbs the great and powerful are willing to throw at us paying customers, but cheese and rice man, isn't there a tire company out there that would treat the guys writing the checks with a bit of respect....

$5??

Nothing new there, been that way all this season and last year. In fact, in years prior to that, the payout for anything less than 5 cars was the same. Now they give a few more bucks for that fourth car.

isn't there a tire company out there that would treat the guys writing the checks with a bit of respect....

yes, hoosier will . they pay tires.

Yes, but...they only pay tires to second place if there are five cars, so that means cars 3-5 get squat. At least with the Toyo deal, those guys would get at least $25 and up to $75. Something is better than nothing in my book. The Hoosier deal really puts the hurt on guys who can't afford to buy sticker tires for every race, because it ensures that the guys who do win are ALWAYS on sticker tires.

I just find it completely ironic that "American Iron" is required to run a tire "Made In Japan".You don't suppose Goodyear or Bridge/Firestone would have any interest in a "American made" racing series?

Matt, I get your points, and, my sarcasm aside, I do appreciate the fact that fields of as little as three cars get something (always better than nothing). My point is that we're one of the 'pointy end's of the stick', and as such, we are one of the marketing tools used to sell the tire. That being the case, it would be nice to see a bit more support from one of our main sponsors. I run the stickers, and, I ponied up for two sets of tires this season, so I'm a rolling billboard that "costs" me $1,600 plus, costs Toyo nothing, and this year may net me $100. From my point of view, it doesn't matter if there's 30 cars or 1 car in my class...the costs and results are the same. If the payouts are going to drop so drastically for less than 5 cars, I might be happier if NASA could just negotiate a 20%-25% discount and we did away with the "weekly" payout and just kept the regional and national cash awards.

I know there's pro's and con's to any tire (boy, did we all learn that this season), and I agree that something is better than nothing. But if we're part of the marketing of the tire, wouldn't it make sense for us to be selling the tire with "good tire, great race program", instead of "ok tire, and the race program is a joke", regardless of how many cars line up in any given class?

I might be happier if NASA could just negotiate a 20%-25% discount and we did away with the "weekly" payout and just kept the regional and national cash awards.

That's not a bad idea because they would probably sell more tires with the front runners buying more to have fresh rubber every 2 weekends instead of 4 weekends. Then we sell off our scrubs to the open track guys and get them hooked.

2 sets at 200/tire is $1600

3 sets at 160/tire is $1920

4 sets at 160/tire is $2560

What's it cost to make/ship a tire to a US warehouse...? $38-50...?

I don't know when the change occurred, but I also have both versions of the form, and I know it has been over a year since I downloaded ANY forms, since I haven't raced this year with NASA. Maybe it happened after last year's Nationals??

Either way, I agree the contingency program could be more generous considering the size of Toyo's captive audience. I have also pointed out the irony of a Japanese tire on "American" iron ponycars.

Guys-

Forms and the program has not changed this year, so this has been in place for a long time and has zero to do with the 888 conspiracy.

-JWL

Guys-

Forms and the program has not changed this year, so this has been in place for a long time and has zero to do with the 888 conspiracy.

-JWL

But John, I clearly saw a puff of smoke come from up there........ Right by that grassy knoll.

Bridgestone/Firestone is Japanese. I think Hoosier is the only tire company with a DOT tire on the market that is USA owned. Goodyear does not. BFG is Michelin. Euro owned. Bridgeston, Kumho, and Toyo are Japanese and so on.

Oh the Joy!- this is why my #20 AI Mustang is now an AIX CAR! - 2950lbs... Hoosier R6 275-40-17 360hp at the rear wheels 396tq - ok I know I know so I am way underpowered for the class and won't be competitive in X.....but.... oh what a joy to drive this car now VS when it was 3500lbs with R888's - I am still pitting with all my bud's...on the track at the same time(80% of the fun for me on a NASA weekend) and no longer feeling helpless on a spec tire I couldn't come to grips with- see I only paid 15k for my car and the guys at the front of our AI class have that in suspension and brakes alone in our region!...Chris not included in that last statement and does run up front

These may be phantom tires, since I recall Goodyear pulled the GS-CS a couple years ago, but they are still showing a DOT tire. Goodyear Eagle RS, DOT R Compound, available in 275/40R17:

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/sports.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should have gotten the championships contingency email from YOKOHAMA today! I laughed a little. Wonder if Shotz got a new driver's suit?!

its funny. i am a middle of the pack AI racer. I do it for fun. In my three seasons of AI racing I am finished in the Toyo Bucks money maybe 3 times. They were nicely spread out in terms of time, so I don't think I have ever earned a free Toyo tire.

Since its my experience that the top three cars are almost always the same top three cars or one of the same four or five, I wonder how many other guys are like me, not getting anything and therefore not missing anything.

You should have gotten the championships contingency email from YOKOHAMA today! I laughed a little. Wonder if Shotz got a new driver's suit?!

all of the contingency emails make me laugh, except maybe Hoosier... but even then the requirements and payouts are worse than a piddly little regional race

Interesting thought, Ken. Are the contingencies a make or break deal for you guys or is they something that isn't worth the time we put into setting up the programs since they don't seem to be attractive to many of you?

-JWL

There is a sweet spot around 5-7 cars.

944 Spec Midwest will get about $6K in total Toyo payout this year, With most everyone "in the money" Getting the $1,750 worth of year end money helps a lot.

It's worth it to us!

Once you get to higher car counts, the money thins out quite a bit. 5 cars pays the same as 25 cars.

My two free hoosier's came wednesday from the two second place finish's at RA in TT.I thanked them for being involved in our sport.Free tire's in these time's right now really help out.Plus that was my first time on hoosier's and damn what a tire.I didn't know I could take turn's that fast and not go off.

Robert

Hoosier lover