Better hope you have good car counts...

nape

Interesting thought, Ken. Are the contingencies a make or break deal for you guys or is they something that isn't worth the time we put into setting up the programs since they don't seem to be attractive to many of you?

-JWL

I seem to remember a spreadsheet from an earlier nats event that tracked the available contingencies by group...you guys got anything like that this year? Would make it easier for us to figure out when we get on site to be sure to hit up those vendor desks for the stickers....

Thanks.

edit:.... nevermind, did it in about 3 minutes off the champs site... Looks like GRM, Racer Parts Wholesale, Weekend Racer Hard Charger discount and Maximum. Everything else requires I have their stuff....and I don't!

Interesting thought, Ken. Are the contingencies a make or break deal for you guys or is they something that isn't worth the time we put into setting up the programs since they don't seem to be attractive to many of you?

-JWL

I think the contingencies are kickass! If i go race with other groups, aside from the classes sucking, i get nothing in return for my patronage. With nasa, its like, "hey thanks for coming out, heres a present!" Obviously the winners get the rewards but typically the winners are the ones that invest the most effort towards the racing in some-way-shape-or-from, so they deserve a bigger reward. For what its worth, I have almost no money, dont qualify for any contingencies outside of the hawk brakes one and almost never win. I dont feel bad at all, its cool knowing that if i change from goodyears to toyos i get a shot at discounted tires, and hoosiers i get a chance at free ones! Thats awesome

Thanks nasa for the help!

Mike, maybe I'll throw in a medical contingency for you - free casts at the track!

Nice! I got a cast the same color as my race car so it would heal faster! All it did was get dirty and it keeps bumping into stuff....

Sounds EXACTLY like my race car!

It's not a "don't care", or "not attractive", or any other "I can't tell my wife anything because she always takes it wrong" thing....The programs NASA has put together are wonderful and, as a newbie racer, I was surprised and happy when I found out we got anything at all. It's a great perk, and I have actually switched classes during a race weekend to help fill in a group so the front guys (and me) could make a "buck".

The question is why the steep drop off for lower car counts? The last couple of race weekends, we've had 4-5 cars at track, but it's been a brutal year for a couple of us, and by Sunday, there may only be 2-3 starters for the race. So, other than actually taking the green flag, we've done everything we can do. And, the difference between $5 and $25 for a third place is actually pretty big....$25 means that by years end, a guy might actually get a tire or two out of the deal.

The other idea was just thinking out loud...If NASA could negotiate a tire discount that benefits everyone, and the cash awards remain for the regional and national "podiums", maybe that would be a way to help the rank and file save a few bucks, help the sponsor move more product, and still have a nice carrot for the guys running up front.

Of course, a discount, year end cash, and a kick-ass per race contingency would be the best of all worlds!

KO

-JWL

well since you asked, here's my $0.01 (discounted just for you )

the Hooiser one frustrated me alot because you only need 3 cars at a regional race to win 2 tires for first, but make it Nationals and you need 5+ to get the same payout even though you have ALOT more sessions to run if you want to win and it should be a harder race to win. Now if you've got a huge class it gets better with tires getting paid down to lower positions and more tires getting paid for wins... but outside of TX you'll *never* see that many PTF cars (and really, there aren't that many legal PTF cars here, maybe 1 or 2)

Alot of the other Nationals ones frustrate me personally because they're all 5+, which would make sense if it was 5 cars minimum for a class to count but...

- Bitter, party of one

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I don't get....

The Hoosier tire is better, faster and CHEAPER. Whay are we forced to run Toyo tires?

I'm sure Toyo is bringing money to NASA, but the competitors are clearly paying for it. I'm sure Hoosier would be interested in the option of being the official tire supplier of AI. They have AWESOME trackside support!

JWL, let me in there to work this deal...

where are hoosier tires cheaper? to be competitive, if you are on hoosiers, you need sticker tires every race weekend. that is clearly not the case with toyo tires. for guys regularly running in the top 2 or 3 and winning tires, the hoosier thing can work for small budget racers.

The small budget mid packer racer will be financially killed by using hoosiers.

Here's what I don't get....

The Hoosier tire is better, faster and CHEAPER. Whay are we forced to run Toyo tires?

I'm sure Toyo is bringing money to NASA, but the competitors are clearly paying for it. I'm sure Hoosier would be interested in the option of being the official tire supplier of AI. They have AWESOME trackside support!

JWL, let me in there to work this deal...

YOu are smokin' crack unless you are talking about 18" tires....

• 2 weeks later...
John, how does the Toyo program compare to the Hoosier program? Is it close?

You kidding? Not even remotely close.

With Hoosier, 3 cars in class and winner gets 2 tires. 5 cars in class and first place gets two (2) tires and second gets one (1).

At a great lakes event we usually get 35-50 TT entrants, and 95% are running hoosier decals. Some cars the hoosier decals are the only decals so they stick out. We are very thankful for their program, and many different people have won tires it has not been a monopoly for any one guy for the most part. I was in the tower at Mid Ohio talking to the lady who is the regional rep for Khumo telling her what a great advertisement their competitor is getting because everyone is running their stuff. She agknowledged it and said she realizes what they are missing and that they have something coming... who knows what that means.

I don't have enough experince with toyos yet, but everyone says they will suck.. but suck consistently for a long time. Thats good I suppose. I wonder how 8-10 heat cycle toyos compare with a fresh shaven set?

I don't have enough experince with toyos yet, but everyone says they will suck.. but suck consistently for a long time. Thats good I suppose. I wonder how 8-10 heat cycle toyos compare with a fresh shaven set?

I buy my tires at 3/32 and get about 25-30 heat cycles on a set of RA1's. After about 20 heat cycles they fall off about a 1/4 of a second. They do suck for a long time though.

Seriously? For regionals, I can get 4 hoosiers in a weekend.

Do you guys really know how amazing this is ???

Even when Toyo gives you Toyo bucks, it should be viewed as a huge blessing !!

NASA, as a club, has probably the best tire contingency programs in the US for club racing......