• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slammed_93_hatch

• Andrie

• Redstone

• Jeremy C.

Great driving Bob, you got the worst of the 4 wide down from 9 to 10 !! Trimmed a little grass on the left..eh?

But, you ran a great race, just a few seconds back all the way.

• National Staff
b18b1 with blox manifold, hytech header and hondata s300 with a b16a 4.4 fd tranny (itr diff)

That's what I thought by the look of it!

Good to know.

You were just getting "rolled" on the straights!

Make sure we talk about this at Nats Graham. I've got a couple things I want to discuss with you.

b18b1 with blox manifold, hytech header and hondata s300 with a b16a 4.4 fd tranny (itr diff)

That's what I thought by the look of it!

Good to know.

You were just getting "rolled" on the straights!

Make sure we talk about this at Nats Graham. I've got a couple things I want to discuss with you.

hahah did you completely miss this????[

keep in mind.. during the race something was up with the motor and I had a huge GLASS rear wing. My best lap was in the mid 2:06's.

During Qual i did a 2:04.x and i still had to work on the setup. I think that car can do a a high 2:03 as is!

He was running on 15 valves, for what i would guess is most of the race.

AND the rear hatch was OPEN the entire race!!!

Watching qualifying from the track Graham was just a little slower on the straights but would make up serious ground in every braking zone.

yeah Jimmy, I saw that!

I didn't think those times were super fast though.

Those are H4 times!!

H4 track record is a 2:04.463 and that was with ideal conditions. Last weekend during the race track temp was 100+ and slowing all the cars down. In the past when T-hill temps got above 100 H4 cars slowed to 2:07's

On Saturday during qualifying Graham and I were nose to tail the entire time. I do believe if the B18b1 would have been opening all its valves it would have been up front!

The head in my car, the one that Graham Downey was driving, is shot. The machine shop said that it wasn't worth working on due to the labor involved. The spare head will be dropped off at the Machine Shop either tomorrow, or Saturday morning for them to hot tank and swap the valves and stuff over to my spare head, should be up and running again in a week or so. That makes 2 heads, and 1 block in...1 year. The head problem was something new to me, I'd never seen it before. Take a look at the ovaled hole, it's where the ball for the rocker sits...well, inside a bolt that should be there, but it was found roaming around inside the head.

Austin

borked_head2.jpg

yeah Jimmy, I saw that!

Those are H4 times!!

come up here to norcal and show us how its done!

earlier in the year in qualifying i ran a 2:01.6 in my dad's b18c5 eg at 2530 lbs.

• National Staff
yeah Jimmy, I saw that!

Those are H4 times!!

come up here to norcal and show us how its done!

earlier in the year in qualifying i ran a 2:01.6 in my dad's b18c5 eg at 2530 lbs.

Been there, done that!

Us Socal boys wanted to show you guys how it's done at Nats, but you among the other few norcal boys were the only ones willing to man up!

Oh and Graham, you just helped my point. 2:01's! That's what I'd expect from H2 cars at T-Hill.

I didn't realize it was 100 degrees at the track last weekend though, but 2:04's are pretty far off 2:01's!

When you are driving a car, I'm more looking at what's wrong with the car if its slow! Not the driver...

The car that Graham was running has...get this, full stock rubber bushings still. Something about being unemployed has slowed the car development. I have a few more things that I'm working on with the car, but it's all about $$ for me. The car should be back together in 1-2 weeks at most.

The head in my car, the one that Graham Downey was driving, is shot. The machine shop said that it wasn't worth working on due to the labor involved. The spare head will be dropped off at the Machine Shop either tomorrow, or Saturday morning for them to hot tank and swap the valves and stuff over to my spare head, should be up and running again in a week or so. That makes 2 heads, and 1 block in...1 year. The head problem was something new to me, I'd never seen it before. Take a look at the ovaled hole, it's where the ball for the rocker sits...well, inside a bolt that should be there, but it was found roaming around inside the head.

Austin

borked_head2.jpg

Austin,

Maybe Graham told you but if not. I talked to a few b18 guys who rev to 7500 (ita cars) and that bolt loosening up is apparently very common they check them after every weekend...

I don't remember Ron ever having an issue but he was ALWAYS tweaking that motor so maybe he just never mentioned it.

Edited by Guest

yeah Jimmy, I saw that!

Those are H4 times!!

Nope they weren't.

But the car hasn't had much/a whole lot of development. (as austin mentioned above)

I am pretty certain that H2 times at t-hill will be in the 2:01:xx range maybe track record at a 2 flat.

Even H1 was slow/off on times

Austin,

Maybe Graham told you but if not. I talked to a few b18 guys who rev to 7500 (ita cars) and that bolt loosening up is apparently very common they check them after every weekend...

I don't remember Ron ever having an issue but he was ALWAYS tweaking that motor so maybe he just never mentioned it.

My B18b1 had a 7500 rev limit and I never had that failure (and we all know how I like to use my rev limiter). Maybe I just got lucky...

less talk about all this engine blowing!

Andrew Gillis has you all beat.. im pretty sure he's blown up at least 12-15 Ford Focus engines over the last 3-4 years.

His current 2.3l engine (cosworth pistons) has been running strong since nov/dec 08.

• National Staff

Austin,

My B18b1 had a 7500 rev limit and I never had that failure (and we all know how I like to use my rev limiter). Maybe I just got lucky...

Yep, I think so!

We've had those reoccurring problems for the last 4 years on multiple LS motors.

• National Staff
Man up?Started racing when i was 5.Never been DQ from a race before.Unlike some people have.

Was that directed at someone specific Brandon?

I dropped the spare head off yesterday. Should be back together next weekend.

I love the B18B, but as Graham and I have observed, the built engine gets walked on the straights by non-built engines. I love it, and its a great budget engine, but it is not something that I would bring to Nationals. I'll keep running it until the budget improves.

I dont think the engine gets walked. Graham was only loosing maybe ~1 car. But head more then make up for it in the corners and braking.

IE the car makes speed in a different part of the track.

If the car had the same speed in the striaghts, it would then leave the cars in corners and braking.

Exactly, each engine package should have their strength in different aspect. Obviously the lightest car should be slowest in the straight and vice versa.

That's why b20 should be heavier as they are the fastest in the straight in H1 currently. Same with b16 in h2 IMO.

i agree the b20v needs to be slightly heavier because its a rocket on the straights.

H2 class weights are ok. Not all the engines have run yet so its hard to compare. Up here in NorCal we've only got one 1 H22A, 1 B16A, one B18C GSR, two B18C ITR, two K20A3 (only 1 has ran) and one B18B (dans hasnt really run enough)

The B18C ITR definetly has the best power/weight ratio. Most guys including us have only run them stock, no cam gears, only a decent header and stock ecu (c. smith has s300 and a good tune). A b18c itr built to h2 rules should be the fastest setup.

our b16a is not the fastest in the straights, but its right there. I think Zed's B18C GSR is the fastest, followed by the ITR and then B16A. Lock's prelude is a massive 2717 lbs so we can't compare that yet. The b16 might seem the fastest in the straight, because its usualy in someone draft!

I've driven a good few H2 cars and some HPDE cars with the ITR motor. It's all around the best motor setup. It's got great mid and top end power and a great rpm range. Stock goes to 8600, Hondata with springs can easily do 9k.

I'd love to see someone try the B20 (maybe Vito could). I can't wait to see Jimmy's k20a3 car out and running strong. It will be great to see Almazan's B16A running too.

The problem with comparing all the cars is most people run different tire size, different shocks, rubber vs. spherical and the biggest factor of all, the driver. Who's down to do a 2 lap shootout with everyone driving everyone else's car!!!

Im down for a weight adjustment, as long as everyone is willing to change back if its wrong.