2005 Mustang

mwilson7

Could I get confirmation from National AI that there are no vehicle specific restrictions placed on the 2005 Mustang other than the general rules listed in the 2005 rules as released.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mwilson7

• Grizlbits

• pederb

• bdkline

Mark-

Per Rule 6.1(b), we are working on defining limits for this car as well as some others including 3rd gen and 4th gen F-bodies. When we do have a limit defined we will post it here as a technical bulletin. If anyone has data points to add to the ones we've already collected on the Camarobirds, please e-mail them to me.

-JWL

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on it. I managed to measure a V-6 last weekend and I am trying to lay hands on a GT so I can slap some Cobra R rims on it to see how it pencils out.

-JWL

Thanks..

The SN95 and S197 have the same bolt patterns, but use different offsets.

S197 wheelbase is 107.1 vs. 101.3

S197 length is 187.6 vs. 181.5

S197 width is 72.1 vs 71.8

S197 Frt/rear track is 62.3 & 62.5 vs. 60.5 & 59.2

The S197 has much better weight distribution (F to R) but is a heavy car.

I spent several hours with a S197 GT last week.

And.......Any opinions or thoughts you would like to share?

I should add that most of the time was spent under (car on a lift) the new platform. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. I did order one.

(on the lift) As a guy that has owned 13 Mustangs and currently have three (you could say I'm biased), I was very impressed with the technical characteristics (the stock panhard bar, reduced roll center, longer wheelbase, increased track [tread width], coilovers, rear 3-link, and the general front and rear suspension).

(road test) The car is heavy. It needs a big diet to be competitive on the track. It also needs more tire and wheel. In stock form, it compares to a the pre-blower SN95 Cobras with a little better handling. The '05 GT brakes don't seem as good as a SN95 Cobra. With proper mods, I have no idea as to it's abilities vs. the AI/CMC field.

I thought it would be nice to get some of these cars on the track in NASA race events. I would guess it depends on how the rules on the '05 are submitted on this board before one could take a shot at it. Regardless, it would make a fun O/T car.

We are currently prepping a 05 for aix. Yes, this shell is heavy. Our crude measurement(with a sling and scale hung from a forklift,) it seens to be about 300 pounds more than a SN95. Other sources have verified this. We have cut 173 pounds of extra sheetmetal out of the shell as of today, and that was what was easy to get at. next week we will start at the front again and see if there is any more to be had. I had hoped to be at 3000 lbs. race ready but I really do not know if it will be possible.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Barry,

Would you mind sharing what the weight of the bare shell was before you starting cutting away. Also would like to know if the base weigh includes doors, fenders, etc.

You should be able to get down to 3000lbs

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

It is way to late to be waiting for the rule gurus to let us know what is legal. Our 05 SHOULD make its debut in May. If it is not deemed legal, we will run unlimited. It is possible to get a larger wheel/tire under the front but the flairs on the rear will make the WC Audis look svelte.

Barry

AIX66

Partially complete 95 (still for sale)

05 (starting to look like a real car)

For those of you who are interested, the Ford Racecars will be making their public debut down at Daytona the weekend after next. The Grand Am Cup race should showcase both SN95 and S197 Mustangs! Anyone going to be there?

I'll be there and look forward to watching you guys run. If you get in a spot and need a hand (you know if your whole crew ends up with food poisoning or something) call me. Good luck Scott!

Peder-

The R50 is the Cup spec motor. It's got different heads and intake, among other things. I'm not sure of the exact Rolex spec, but it seems that the R50 has more in common with the Rolex DP motor than the T50 motor.

Why?

Good question! I never understood the "why", either.

Grand Am Cup?

Good luck to the S197 and SN95 cars in the GAC race. I'll be watching it all. It seems the S197 cars did well in the practice sessions. I always worry about the new car "sorting" problems. I'll also be watching the Multimatic car in the 24 Hour race. The Roush Nextel Cup drivers will be interesting addition.

Mark, what is that (except it's a late SN95)? Looks like an interesting shop. I see the S197 in the background with the cage.

4710-05.jpg

Nothing to see here.......

How much does that hunk of metal back by the wall weigh? Are you going to run 4.6L power as God intended or are you still messing around with the SBF stuff?

How much does that hunk of metal back by the wall weigh? Are you going to run 4.6L power as God intended or are you still messing around with the SBF stuff?

The 2005 Mustang was homologated in Grand-Am Cup class GS with the 5.0L mod engine. The max. weight is 3125#'s. I assume the pushrod engine is no longer eligible in GAC.

I also assume the 2005 Mustang is not eligible in NASA. I have contacted two other race series which have indicated it will be very much welcome to run.