Who needs some AMAZING TT Tires for Nationals?

1LapSRT

Hankook Z214 275/35/18 in the Super Soft C91 compound or the medium C51 compound. 4 of each are available.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30141

UPDATE ! ! ! ! One set of each is now sold and headed to Nationals! Only one set of each compound remaining!

There is much talk about legality of the C91 tire in this thread. Greg Greenbaum has approved them based on availability through a link on the top of page 3. His updated ruling is the fourth post on page 3.

Thanks for looking.....

Edited by Guest

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1LapSRT

• kbrew8991

• phoenixR34

• Bueller

Where did you originally buy the C91 compound tires from? Last I checked, the C91 wasn't even available through retailers or to the general public. Hankook lists the C91 compound as only being available in a 275/40R17. I don't see how it would be TT legal if they're not readily available.

I can buy RA1s anyday. RA1s have been available forever. Show me a vendor selling C91s.

I don't care if they are available.. I'd run them if I could find them. In the meantime, I'd be a little upset if someone showed up on raceday with a top level tire that's not available to anyone.

I can buy RA1s anyday. RA1s have been available forever. Show me a vendor selling C91s.

I don't care if they are available.. I'd run them if I could find them. In the meantime, I'd be a little upset if someone showed up on raceday with a top level tire that's not available to anyone.

The C91s have been available for the public for a while now. From what i recall they have been available since last year. Last i recall Hankook ran out of Z214 tires and didnt bring any over. Thats why you cant find C91s for sale by vendors. Also same reason why vendors dont have the C51 and C71. Maybe some vendors got a hold of some, but i stopped looking beginning of this season because nobody really had them anymore, or they didnt have my size. I dont know how its like now, but thats how it was beginning of the 2009 season.

The C91s have been available for the public for a while now. From what i recall they have been available since last year. Last i recall Hankook ran out of Z214 tires and didnt bring any over. Thats why you cant find C91s for sale by vendors. Also same reason why vendors dont have the C51 and C71. Maybe some vendors got a hold of some, but i stopped looking beginning of this season because nobody really had them anymore, or they didnt have my size. I dont know how its like now, but thats how it was beginning of the 2009 season.

Very true.... Last time I looked even the "readily available" C-51's were on National Backorder (in this size at least).

the RA1 isn't readily availible (anymore, for now, should be back though) and yet its still considered legal

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30330

I can go to Sierra Tire and order some C51 Hankooks. They might be on backorder, but they're available to everyone when they are in stock. The C91 compound on the other hand, isn't even listed on Hankook's own website, better yet on the websites of any of the Hankook dealers I could find. Except that 275/40R17 size.

Last year when all the Hankook sponsored time attack cars were running the C91s, I called Hankook directly and asked for a dealer of C91s.. their response, "They're not available for sale yet." So, either that's changed and someone is selling C91 compound tires finally, or it's the same situation.

I emailed 1LapSRT asking where he originally bought them from and the response was:

"I have no connections at Hankook and I got the tires..."

So, tell me where you bought them from. Tire Rack? Frisby Tire? Someone sold them to you at a Redline TA event? Quit dancing around this topic.

I can get take offs from a Hankook sponsored car (CWest, World Racing etc.. all of which conveniently run 275/35R18 C91s) without a connection as well. I've done it.. which is why I know how badass (and worth creating a fuss about) they are.

Around January of this year (2009), i called all the tire vendors i know of who sell Hankook and Hoosier tires. From what i recall, the majority of them said they had/could only get C91 and C51 tires, but no C71s. They all said the same thing, ie the C71s are no longer available/around, but there are C91s and C51s around, and they either had them or they could get them. However, none of that really mattered to me because nothing was available in my size. Beyond that, since Hankook canceled their contingency deal there was no need for me to further look into Hankooks. Either way, i can tell you for sure that the C91s have been available for the public at least since last year.

• National Staff

Tire width is determined by the number printed on the tire sidewall by the manufacturer. If a tire

does not have a manufacturer’s printed number on the sidewall, then actual tread width

- 21 -

measurement will be used. UTQG treadwear ratings are as of the date of the current version of

the TT rules. Any new tire or tire with a changed UTQG treadwear rating must be evaluated by

the National TT Director before the rating will be legal for use in NASA TT classing. All DOTapproved

tires must be available for purchase by the general public through Federal or state

licensed tire dealers

The Hankook website does not list the Z214 275/35/18 in a C-91 compound available. I could not find a dealer that offer them either. It sounds like a protest would require the driver/owner to show where they can be purchased by the general public through Federal or state

licensed tire dealers(or the tires would require points or Mod Factor for a non-DOT tire).

I emailed 1LapSRT asking where he originally bought them from and the response was:

"I have no connections at Hankook and I got the tires..."

So, tell me where you bought them from. Tire Rack? Frisby Tire? Someone sold them to you at a Redline TA event? Quit dancing around this topic.

I can get take offs from a Hankook sponsored car (CWest, World Racing etc.. all of which conveniently run 275/35R18 C91s) without a connection as well. I've done it.. which is why I know how badass (and worth creating a fuss about) they are.

Thanks for the selective quoting....

Now for the real story! He didn't email me... I PM'd him after I typed a long response to a previous post of his in this thread. Unfortunately before I hit the submit button, he had deleted his post completely and that errored out my reply.

What I had gone into detail about was that I heard there were some for sale FROM HANKOOK in CA last fall, so I called them and ordered them. No connections, no inside information. It was posted on a message board and I picked up the phone. Pretty straight forward transaction. I have also talked to other people who are running non-sponsored cars that have purchased the tires the same (or similar) way.

I also see by your post above that you have previously used these tires, probably at a local NASA event, which I could only surmize went unreported to the officials that you were running on what is apparently (as you pointed out) a non-eligible tire! Way to go Sparky!

The Hankook website does not list the Z214 275/35/18 in a C-91 compound available. I could not find a dealer that offer them either. It sounds like a protest would require the driver/owner to show where they can be purchased by the general public through Federal or state

licensed tire dealers(or the tires would require points or Mod Factor for a non-DOT tire).

Thank You for coming in to clarify the issue at hand (at my request). The last thing I want is for someone to get called out on something I had sold them, especially at something as important as Nationals.

I will look into the availability issue through Hankook and the normal vendors to see what I can find out.

BTW - I do still have 8 of the C-51 compound available as well!

A very good tire, although not as fast as the C-91, and they will last a LOT longer....

so what is sufficient evidence that a tire is "available for purchase by the general public through Federal or state licensed tire dealers"

in this case you had to call the mfg direct instead of hit their website or a retailer, but its not like you had to be a sponsored driver or whatever there was nothing stopping a retailer from calling and retailing the tires was there?

so what is sufficient evidence that a tire is "available for purchase by the general public through Federal or state licensed tire dealers"

in this case you had to call the mfg direct instead of hit their website or a retailer, but its not like you had to be a sponsored driver or whatever there was nothing stopping a retailer from calling and retailing the tires was there?

Good point Ken.... Nothing was stopping them as far as I know...

I'm curious more as to what the "standard" is. Not that I'll have a problem with the Hoosier Rs I'm ordering from Hoosier West this afternoon, but...

• National Staff

The standard is that if there is no evidence that they were ever sold OTC to the public, and if I (or you, or anyone else) can't call a licensed tire dealer and order them, then they are not "available for purchase by the general public through Federal or state licensed tire dealers". There are Yokahama tires floating out there that may be available on E-Bay or elsewhere that cannot be purchased through a tire dealer (in the USA).

RA-1's are certainly a different story. They clearly were sold to the general public (and are coming back). So, if someone has leftover RA-1's, even if the size is now out of production, I would not consider that a violation.

I also see by your post above that you have previously used these tires, probably at a local NASA event, which I could only surmize went unreported to the officials that you were running on what is apparently (as you pointed out) a non-eligible tire! Way to go Sparky!

Actually, the tires were take-offs from Crawford's Subaru, as they were receiving/using tires from Hankook at the time. The tires went on a car used in a Magazine shootout, which wasn't sanctioned by NASA, and definitely didn't have any rules on tires.

I'm not trying to ruin your for sale ad--I just don't want someone showing up at Miller in three weeks in my class, using tires that are definitely advantageous and getting away with it if they're indeed illegal. A few people in SoCal have been using C91s in TTR, where of course it doesn't matter.

Actually, the tires were take-offs from Crawford's Subaru, as they were receiving/using tires from Hankook at the time. The tires went on a car used in a Magazine shootout, which wasn't sanctioned by NASA, and definitely didn't have any rules on tires.

I'm not trying to ruin your for sale ad--I just don't want someone showing up at Miller in three weeks in my class, using tires that are definitely advantageous and getting away with it if they're indeed illegal. A few people in SoCal have been using C91s in TTR, where of course it doesn't matter.

They can be run in any class (TTS/U/R at least), but need to take the Non-DOT tire points.... Perfectly legal, just a but more "costly" than "average" tires.

They can be run in any class (TTS/U/R at least), but need to take the Non-DOT tire points.... Perfectly legal, just a but more "costly" than "average" tires.

So you're admitting that the C91s in that size aren't OTC, publicly available +10 tires like the C71/51/31 Hankook Z214s? lol. Just giving you a hard time.. sorta.

So you're admitting that the C91s in that size aren't OTC, publicly available +10 tires like the C71/51/31 Hankook Z214s? lol. Just giving you a hard time.. sorta.

I am "admitting" it because Greg said that is the ruling! Still legal for TTR without any questions asked! And only need a slightly less than optimized car to use them in TTS/TTU!

if Hankook themselves isn't licensed to sell tires then they're in trouble

the question is proving availibility, seems like with some legwork you could prove that too I bet

http://www.philstireservice.com/pages/tires/tires_hankook_2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phil's lists the C91 but only in this particular size. I don't know if that means they can get them, but I assume it means that they could at some point.

Looks like that proves availability ! ! ! ! Tires are for SALE again ! ! ! !

Thanks DAN!

• National Staff
http://www.philstireservice.com/pages/tires/tires_hankook_2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phil's lists the C91 but only in this particular size. I don't know if that means they can get them, but I assume it means that they could at some point.

Looks like that proves availability ! ! ! ! Tires are for SALE again ! ! ! !

Thanks DAN!

I agree.

A little off topic, but they're seem to be some people up to date on the C91 compound in this thread...

Are Hankook's other sizes available(or going to be available) in this particular compound? Im particularly interested in the smaller 16" sizes...

Is it true that the C71 is going away?