actualsize

New SoCal Race Track Public Hearing Tuesday, 9:00 in LA

actualsize

Tom Malloy, owner of Trench Shoring, is a longtime friend of racing. He's sponsored a lot of folks over the years, from midgets to road racing, and he's into vintage cars himself.

He's been working on a Club Racing facility in the background for some 7 years on a parcel of land that he owns outright in the Palmdale area, and now his project is about to face an important public hearing in Los Angeles. It all goes down next Tuesday, August 31 at 9:00 am. Edit: The hearing is Wednesday, Sept 2. Calendar reading error on my part. I am still chasing down the address and room number. I'll post it as soon as I get it.

Supporters of the idea need to make themselves known, because the location of the proposed track has the Palmdale Poppy Reserve people up in arms.

The track is in Palmdale, on the south side of Avenue D out on the west side somewhere around 150th or 170th streets. The closest corner of the poppy reserve is about 1 mile away. The closest trail on the reserve is 2 miles away. It's not even as close as that, because a huge ridge towers between the track and the reserve, creating a natural sound and visual barrier. I'm told that sound measurements using Trophy Trucks on the raw track site created no measurebale dB readings at the reserve.

Despite the physical barriers and the sound data, the Poppy People remain opposed. Even though poppy season lasts but 6 weeks, they want no part of it. Well, their spokesman wants no part of it. It's unclear how deep the opposition runs.

I saw the track design last Thursday. It is an Alan Wilson creation, with two tracks that can be run independently or put together for one lone lap of something like 3.7 miles. It looks very fun. The proposed facility will have a lot of amenities, but it is not designed for spectator events or night use to help mitigate environmental impacts and be a good neighbor. Instead, it would host weekend club events, test sessions, vehicle development and engineering work, commercial shoots and the like.

As a club racer, I love the idea. More variety means more fun and a more interesting race season. And a modern facility nearby would be most welcome. Professionally, I test and write about street cars for a living. We're always looking for new venues and backdrops for our tests and photo shoots.

I'm planning on attending the hearing this coming Tuesday. As soon as I confirm it, I'll post the time and place in case you want to attend, too.

Dan

Edited by Guest

Neon2dmaX

"It all goes down next Tuesday, August 31 at 9:00 am. I am still chasing down the address and room number. I'll post it as soon as I get it."

Better check your information... Monday is the 31st... Tuesday is September 1. Sounds like this would be before the County Board of Supervisors or some commission that reports to the Board.

sagoston

Copied from the letter linked below:

Wednesday September 2, 2009 at 9:00 AM at the Hall of Records, 320 West Temple St. Los Angeles, Room 150

Tom's Letter:

http://registration.vararacing.com/images/FBEMAIL/tom_letter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Racetrack Brochure:

http://registration.vararacing.com/images/FBEMAIL/Brochure_7_4_9_9.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

actualsize

Yeah, I finally got the correct date and address last night from my contact on the project. The previous post has it right: Wed Sept 2 @ 9:00 am. Room 150, Hall of Records, at the address shown above.

I'm told it's best to arrive early to get a seat. No one knows how many opponents (or supporters) will show up.

I'm going to be there. Anyone else?

ReplicaR

I want to try to make it. Luckily for me, there is no school that morning, so I actually have time on my hands. I need to research this deal a little though, because if I'm going to say something, might as well be something intelligent, rather than "Der... I has a bucket and a racin helmet!!!"

actualsize

The hearing is in progress. Here's an update: At least 33 people registered to speak at the hearing. Supporters outnumber detractors about 4:1. The State Parks and Rec people are concerned about noise drifitng to the poppy preserve. The Willow Springs folks are opposing the project because it's so close to theirs on the grounds that it is "shockingly similar".

Gian Bowles
The hearing is in progress. Here's an update: At least 33 people registered to speak at the hearing. Supporters outnumber detractors about 4:1. The State Parks and Rec people are concerned about noise drifitng to the poppy preserve. The Willow Springs folks are opposing the project because it's so close to theirs on the grounds that it is "shockingly similar".

Soooo... what happened what happened????

Bruce L.

it kills me when racetrack projects that are surrounded by hills are made almost perfectly flat - I don't get that. (this is the impression I get from the brochure)

bruce

FOOSHE

ok..............so?

What's the deal?

caliviper

Why don't you make it super easy for supporters to help out. Create a page with a prefilled short letter (that is customizable on your site) where a person can enter their name and email into a field, hit submit, and the email is fired off to the appropriate people. You could get hundreds of letters sent this way by local racers.

-MC

Cash Is King
If you would like to read about the project in detail and view updates, all of the official documents

(including the Draft Environmental Impact Report) can be viewed on the county’s Web site:

http://planning.lacounty.gov/case/view/tentative_parcel_map_no_26805_project_no_02_176_fairmon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This link goes nowhere.

Why don't you make it super easy for supporters to help out. Create a page with a prefilled short letter (that is customizable on your site) where a person can enter their name and email into a field, hit submit, and the email is fired off to the appropriate people. You could get hundreds of letters sent this way by local racers.

-MC

I agree. Either that or we will have to search deep within ourselves and write something meaningful. I know 5 people that would want to submit letters, if they have a template to go off of it'd make their life much easier.

But on the other hand, I think the letters shouldn't be generic because it won't look good for the supporters if all of whom are opposing are writing their own letters.

howsoonisnow1985

Hope this gets approved!

I was gonna post a question about a new track and seen this thread, but realized not the same track I was referring too.

Anyone hear of the Chuckwalla Valley Raceway Desert Center, CA?

I enrolled in a MINI (Cooper) Track Day, but never heard of this place.

Cash Is King

Cool, another one.

bpanther
it kills me when racetrack projects that are surrounded by hills are made almost perfectly flat - I don't get that. (this is the impression I get from the brochure)

bruce

Bruce... you missed the part that said who the track designer is. All his tracks are flat even if they need to move mountains to get them out of the way.

mcolangelo2005

Why did the developers choose a location so close to Willow Springs? While I always like to hear of new tracks, I have mixed feelings about this one seeing as it's so close to an already popular and established one.

BTW, I lived a significant chunk of my life in the Antelope Valley so I'm very familar with Palmdale/Lancaster/Rosamond.

What the AV really needs is a drag strip to replace the one that closed down several years ago.