Official Photos?

Mike B

Been following this thread for some answers. I havent heard anything from Head-on photos either. Granted i didnt buy a DVD yet, but i did call and leave him a message. Its sounds like email isnt useful also. And what sucks is that we cant get on that website to just see our pics. Maybe something happened to him? Karen said shes sponsored by them. Maybe we can have Karen find out.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eric Rosenberg

• kbrew8991

• TheDukeofEarl

• Markus

I made no other arrangements to secure photos of my son while "on track" so this is going to suck, big time, it NASA's arrangement with this photographer doesn't work out. I just forwarded this thread to Jerry in the national offices, I'm sure that he'll get to the bottom of things.

Thanks,

Eric

Four voicemails and two e-mails and no answer from Steve at Head on Photos. I sent an e-mail to Jerry in the Naitonal office and he wrote back that he "copied" Steve on his response to my e-mail...

If he's not answering our inquiries what makes Jerry think that he'll see and answer his e-mail?

Sure hope our photo CD shows up in the very near future.

Eric

Well, guess what showed up in the mail yesterday (Wednesday)? Yep, my photo disk. And I also received a phone message as well from Steve.... he was surprised that I hadn't received my disk as they were sent out the previous Thursday or Friday.

I wish the rest of you luck!

Eric

Dangit, we should have picked up a CD while at the track. I got greedy and wanted Sunday pics, so I opted to wait for a CD in the mail, and now I have nothing.

You weren't greedy, you ordered photos from the entire week as was promised by the photographer's order form. Any of you who haven't received their orders should drop Jerry an e-mail. He's quick to respond and he needs to know that one of his vendors has not supported his clients in the manner which was intended.

Both recent contacts from the photographer could have been a result from my contact with Jerry.

Let him know....

Eric

OK, I went back and looked at the envelope my CD came in. Seems that it was mailed on Monday the 5th (same day that I e-mailed Jerry and he e-mailed the photographer) and not on the previous Thursday or Friday as Steve's voicemail message indicated yesterday.

So perhaps it was the squeeky wheel afterall (as Kbrew indicated).... drop Jerry a note.

Eric

OK, I went back and looked at the envelope my CD came in. Seems that it was mailed on Monday the 5th (same day that I e-mailed Jerry and he e-mailed the photographer) and not on the previous Thursday or Friday as Steve's voicemail message indicated yesterday.

So perhaps it was the squeeky wheel afterall (as Kbrew indicated).... drop Jerry a note.

Eric

I received my CD yesterday also, and it was mailed on the 5th also. A whole 43 pictures for $106

I will see Ryan F. at this weekends event, so i will let him know about it.

Are SoCal people are WAY better also, with better trackside setups and websites!

Thank you Eric

Thanks John for the update.... You're lucky, my disk only had 32 images on it and he completely missed the last 1/3 of our Sunday race!

I've e-mailed Steve asking him to check his hard drive again in the hopes that they missorted some.

When I put them up on the lap top last night and showed my wife she was clicking through them and when they started repearting themselves she asked if that's all there was.... Yep, a great $100 investment.... only for our son!

I agree with you John, Cali Photograhy is better.

Eric

Just to jump in here and defend the photog a little...

I know another guy that went out to MMP and he said it wasn't the easiest track to shoot. Big outer perimeter, very limited access to infield, etc. So made it hard to get a variety of pictures. I haven't been there myself, but this guy is pretty good so I'll take his word on that.

Now in terms of the guy not having website galleries, or not sending things out in a timely fashion - that I can't defend. I know how much I like getting pix of my car at big events, so I hope it works out for everyone.

- Mark

Wow! I hadn't checked in on this thread for a while, and sure got an ear full at the Buttonwillow race last weekend. Several of my fellow competitor/friends know that I am "sponsored" by HeadOnPhoto, so they tuned me in to this thread, and filled me in on their experience in getting photos from Miller. Yikes!

Quite frankly, in reading this thread, I was disappointed in the experiences reported here, as well as in the interactions (or lack therof) with HeadOnPhoto following Nationals. I know Steve to be an honest and forthright person, and if his service to our fellow competitors was anything short of stellar, then, as I said, I'm disappointed. Following Nationals, I was surfing the threads, saw this one and decided to check it out. When it seemed that folks were asking questions and getting frustrated in getting photos from Nat's, I sent Steve a message on his Facebook page, and he responded asking that I let people know to send him a message via e-mail and that he would post a gallery for them. I posted that info, figured things were resolved, and haven't been back to this thread since.

To be clear, my relationship with HeadOnPhoto (along with many of my fellow competitors) reaches back to when Norm (Cabana) was running the business. I was new to Nor Cal NASA, and met him at races up in that region. He was a character (to say the least), loved to talk about racing, the track, or what he'd seen that day, and would always encourage me to keep practicing and stay with it. Norm "sponsored" a lot of racers back then, and offered a 20% discount on pictures if we ran his logo on the front and rear of our cars. Go back to pics from 2005, 06, and 07, and you'll see a number of racecars in the Nor Cal Region running his stickers.

Well, we unexpectedly (and very tragically) lost Norm not too long ago, and when his son Steve took over the business, I met him, we shared some Norm stories, and I've continued to run the HeadOnPhoto stickers on my car to this day. Quite frankly, I run them as much (or even more) in honor of Norm, as for any discount on the photos. I'm not going to romanticize about Norm, as like all folks, he had his ups and downs, but I have a good relationship with Steve, and have found that, like his dad, he is quite a phonomenal photographer. I don't know the reasons for the delay in racers getting their photos, and can't support the fact that Steve did not respond personally on this forum, or to their e-mails. Sponsored or not, I would expect everyone with whom we come in contact with via NASA to operate with honesty and integrity, and suspect NASA would feel the same. I've experienced nothing less in my dealings with Steve, but the unfortunate truth is that this has left a less than positive impression with so many of my fellow racers/friends.

As a business person, Steve will soon discover that clients often vote with their feet, and I would encourage him to address these issues openly with Jerry and the comeptitors here, or face the fact that future event photography will be, as it should be, sent elsewhere.

Yours in racing,

Karen Salvaggio, Ed. D.

FFR #28 Challenge Series Cobra

2009 CA Pony Cup Champion

2009 Southern California Region Champion

BTW.....I paid $100 for my CD too....

Karen,

Thank you for your post.... it's too bad really that Steve hasn't felt the same level of commitment and obligation to sign on and update everyone. I've left at least five e-mails and two voicemails and I only received one response and that was ONLY after I copied Jerry on one of my communications to Steve.

His service is terrible, his follow up is nonexistant and we've been overcharged for the images we received. I can only comment on the photos from our final race on Sunday (PT) but I can assure you that we only received images from the start to the mid-point of the race. We had a double yellow at approximately the mid-point and there were NO photos on our disk after the green flag was thrown for the restart.

We were on track for a total of 9 seperate sessions over four days and we received a total of 32 images. That's less than 4 images per session... not what I would call a great value for $100.00.

I would think Steve should address these issues sooner rather than later.

Thank you,

Eric

WOW!! Sorry to see so many people disappointed at a show as big as the Nats.

I visited the yellow trailer, too, and sensed that this would not be a good experience having to pre pay, and not being able to review and purchased the cd online after the race. And $100 is way too much for a cd.

Luckily, I used the business card I was given for Larry Knight at Carpixguy.com.

I emailed my car # and a description of the car and class via blackberry at the track on Wednesday. The following Monday after the Nats, I had an email with 175 preview photos of my car, pit photos, shots from every vantage point around the track. Many action shots with xlnt backgrounds of salt lake, the mountains, the grand stand with the 3 flags flying. I sent him a check for $50, and I had the cd in 5 days.

I would HIGHLY recommend him any time. This is not meant to diss anyone. I just think when someone provides an excellent service for a great price, it should be shared by the community.

OK....as an ameteur track photog just want to jump in here a little bit about price...

I typically charge $25-$50 for a cd of images taken at MidOhio, which is 90min from my house. Also I only market my photos online, so I don't pay a vendor fee at the track, don't have to have a trailer at the track with someone attending it, etc. Even at that price I've often wondered if it was worth it - in order to shoot high quality pix you probably still need at least a $2k setup and the pro guys probably double that. The track is a rough environment, so you do need to budget for equipment replacement every couple of years as well.

That means if I were to travel to an event out of town, pay a vendor fee, and drag along my wife to help me - I might very well want $75/cd too?

Once again, not defending some of the other business practices in this thread, just saying - price ain't that far out of line.

- Mark

Mark,

Thanks for posting....

Price is not the issue. Value and customer service is. Charge whatever your market will tollerate but provide images that represent four days of racing, answer your e-mails, return phone messages and mailing your orders out in a timely fashion are the issue behind this thread.

We all know the cost of pulling a trailer and running our trucks to an event. Each of us did that in order to participate in the NASA Nationals. I alone spent $650 (including fuel for the race car) in gas to get us up and back from Southern California.

You mentioned "vendor fees" and that was exactly the point I had hoped to make when I contacted Jerry in the national office. My point was to Jerry, you guys "sold space" to this vendor and I feel it was incombant on the NASA organization to make sure their supplier respects NASA's clients by providing value and good service.

Keep shooting, the racers at your track appreciate your support!

All the best,

Eric

Still waiting for Steve to return my last e-mail and voicemail messages... I guess we'll never receive the balance of our photos from our Sunday race... Great service I've got to say. Thanks Steve.

I contacted Larry the other day and received a prompt and informative message back... even though he was away on VACATION! Larry posted our images on the exact day he promised and they were just as good, if not better, than those provided by Steve and for a fraction of the cost (timely and a good value).

Thank you Larry, next year we'll purchase our images from you.

Eric

Larry Knight only had 3 pictures with my car in it, he gave them to me free of charge this time I would definitely recommend everyone give him their buisness next year, they look great and you can't ask for a better person than that!