Adjustable Horsepower

Weed Wacker

Is this legal? Im putting together a turbo car for a customer to run ST2 with and we were thinking that for longer tracks he could run 245 wide tires and more boost and then go to 275's with less boost for tighter tracks. Just wondering if this is legal provided we have classification sheets and have some way to indicate which map we are running. Obviously it would have to be something that was inaccessable to the driver while on track and stuff. Figured maybe we would do like a orange light and a blue light since those colors dont interfere with any important flags or anything.

Checked the rules and didn't see anything against it, maybe i missed it though.

Thanks

I have a Motec system in my car. We have to run a restrictor in SCCA STO and none in NASA. We have the engine programed for with and without restrictors. We take the restrictor off, twist a knob on the dash and Voila' >>>>60 more HP.

I've had no problems with NASA or SCCA.

Is this legal? Im putting together a turbo car for a customer to run ST2 with and we were thinking that for longer tracks he could run 245 wide tires and more boost and then go to 275's with less boost for tighter tracks. Just wondering if this is legal provided we have classification sheets and have some way to indicate which map we are running. Obviously it would have to be something that was inaccessable to the driver while on track and stuff. Figured maybe we would do like a orange light and a blue light since those colors dont interfere with any important flags or anything.

Checked the rules and didn't see anything against it, maybe i missed it though.

Thanks

What they said...As long as the director has your latest Dyno sheet for that set up.

I have a Motec system in my car. We have to run a restrictor in SCCA STO and none in NASA. We have the engine programed for with and without restrictors. We take the restrictor off, twist a knob on the dash and Voila' >>>>60 more HP.

I've had no problems with NASA or SCCA.

In Bob's situation yes, but If you are talking about the HP difference within the scope of a 275 tire vs a 245, don't see that being a big swing.

How much HP are you thinking about?

It would be between events for sure, not changing for different sessions

This car the 245 to 275 would be the difference between about 35 wheel horsepower. Not huge, but definitely enough that at tracks with longer straights or tracks that run inside ovals it should help.

Greg would have to chime in, but I think if you carefully document the switch and dyno sheets it should not be an issue.

However, if you pound the dog crap out of everyone be prepared for scrutiny.

However, if you pound the dog crap out of everyone be prepared for scrutiny.

Scrutiny would make no difference to me, it would only prove we put together a good package. I guess in that way im more of a "new school" kind of guy. I dont try to hide what i got, i like to wear everything on my sleeve so to speak. Most people call that stupid, but i dont care.

• National Staff

The salient points have been made already. You cannot make adjustments to a car during the competition that would change power levels. There must be a current Dyno sheet for the car's setup as driven. Adjustment buttons and switches and restrictors should all be sealed during competition so it would be clear in impound if changes were being made on-track or before impound/dyno testing. Lastly, make sure that your Series Director and Race Director know exactly what you have planned, and that they are ok with it.

awesome thanks

Would sealing the controls in a small box work that is locked with engine seals be ok? I think i have access to some of those. We could run some LED's or something on the outside to indicate the map we are running.

• 8 months later...
awesome thanks

Would sealing the controls in a small box work that is locked with engine seals be ok? I think i have access to some of those. We could run some LED's or something on the outside to indicate the map we are running.

instead of engine seals you could use plastic or metal seals you get from a truck stop they have a serial numb on them and are easily removable. a bag of 20-30 is only a couple bucks

When I competed at the nationals in 2008 I asked the officials at tech about sealing my manual boost controller. Nobody knew anything about it. Finally someone showed up with some fragile red tape and sealed it. My Evo was quite over weight/under powered then for the class. Now the weight/ratio will be much closer for competition and inspection. The trick is to stay conservative because power levels in a turbo car can move with atmospheric changes form one session to the next later in the day. If we had a tighter group of regular competitors NASA could use intake restrictor's to manage the power abilities. Since this is a inclusive class with so many various cars this current method is what we have to prepare for. Yea I would hate to lose a championship over 1 hp, after trying to tune the car fairly/correctly, but that's what the deal is!