FOR RACERS WHO INSTRUCT: Chatterbox to Helmet Radio Cable

dbbmwm3

Want to use your racing radio system ear buds and built-in mic helmet wiring system with your Chatterbox when you’re instructing or coaching?

After wiring my helmet for a racing radio set up, it was a PITA to use the Chatterbox headset or even their "built-in" mic/speaker kit. I wanted to be able to utilize my custom ear buds and built in racing radio mic with my Chatterbox, so I figured out the wiring schematics and developed prototypes for both IMSA and NASCAR style plugs. I've tested them both and they work great!

The parts are pretty pricey (damn those patents), but I can make and sell the cable for a lot less than an IMSA to NASCAR adapter which Racing Radios sells for seventy dollars a piece.

FS: IMSA or NASCAR style female jack to Chatterbox 6-pin DIN adapter cables - $45 shipped. If you want one, send an email to dbbmwm3(at)yahoo(dot)com

Do you have a way to go the other way?

Use a chatterbox student headset and wire into an existing in-car system? For instance a racer loans a car to a DE student and wants to allow them to communicate without purchasing an entire helmet wiring kit? Or perhaps more appropriate, multiple drivers in a 24hr craptastic endurance race in which we need cost effective 2-way communication.

Let me know,

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who had a cable made. I received all the parts today, built and tested all the adapter cables and shipped them out. I have a few left if anyone still wants one.

Do you have a way to go the other way?

Use a chatterbox student headset and wire into an existing in-car system? For instance a racer loans a car to a DE student and wants to allow them to communicate without purchasing an entire helmet wiring kit? Or perhaps more appropriate, multiple drivers in a 24hr craptastic endurance race in which we need cost effective 2-way communication.

Let me know,

Thanks

Ron,

I think this should work and is as easy as using a male IMSA or NASCAR plug with the DIN 6 for the Chatterbox, but I'm not 100% it will work.

Shoot me an email at dbbmwm3(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'd be happy to build one to see if it would work.

-Denis

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll take a NASCAR adapter. Just thinking that those times of needing to jump from instructing to driving (or vice versa) and not having to worry about swapping.

I'll shoot you an email.

• 4 weeks later...
For folks interested in getting adapter cables, you can now contact the folks at Sync Speed who have a bunch of both NASCAR and IMSA cables available. http://www.syncspeedinc.com/racing_store.htm

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to add that we are selling this cable at the same price that Denis offered to here for the first time, $45. A big thank you to Denis for all of his help on these cables.