Changing of the guard

JWL

Folks-

Effective today, I will be turning over my role as National Series Director for AI to Todd Covini. Many of you met Todd at the Nationals this year and in years past and he has been a fixture in NASA since the early days. Todd enjoys my full confidence and you all could not be in better hands going forward. I will be still be around if you need anything NASA-wise but Todd is in command and ready to work for you.

It's been a pleasure working on the series for 8 years and I'm sure I will see many of you during my continued travels in my other roles in NASA.

Vaya con huevos,

-JWL

Todd is also on the board of CMC directors. Will he now have a role in both classes? Under the old CMC regime, that might have been perceived as a conflict, but it could be a good thing.

Todd is also on the board of CMC directors. Will he now have a role in both classes? Under the old CMC regime, that might have been perceived as a conflict, but it could be a good thing.

merge, merge ,merge, ai 1, 2, 3, 4 aix. And Todd get us a new windshield banner like on groths car or at least allow us to use it. the ai windhsiled banner is well old and blahhhhh.......

Congrats.......

p.s. I need rolex/koni tickets for me and my wife for 2010 24hr.

• Members

Congrats Todd!!!

Interestingly Matt, I am the CMC National Director but also serve as a regional AI director. Plus we live right down the street from each other and we both work for major oil companies!!! spooky

Thanks JWL!

I also see that the formal announcement & press release has been posted on www.nasaproracing.com as well.

I look forward to the opportunity and thank you for the years of service to get this series where it is! I've got huge shoes to fill (and I don't have a Borat impression)! Last nite, I sent out an intro memo to all the regional AI directors and I plan to do the same here shortly. While there are no "mergers" planned, I will tell you that my experience inTexas is that an AI/CMC "marriage" is great in so many aspects for both series. I look forward to working with Al Fernandez (the CMC National Director), as well as the AI Leadership Team (your regional AI Series Directors) and you (the racers)!

Tone...great segway, and thanks for that. I'll be posting a separate request for 2010 rules change requests and that they be submitted to me with cc to your regional AI director, in a specific format. Stay tuned....lots of work to do!!!

Todd Covini

National AI Director

merge, merge ,merge, ai 1, 2, 3, 4 aix. :

No thanks.

Good choice John, Todd will fill the role nicely. Does that mean you will have some free time to joins us at some more East coast events next year?

Kent

Congrats, Todd. It's allot of work...get started on your Borat impressions.

mmmmm ... koolaid!

Why does it have to go down this road? No, "Congrats, Todd!", for all the hard work, just a low pot shot at someone who is willing to spend considerable personal time working with the racers.

You're a good guy, Mitch, but this is getting very old.

Yep. I'll be out on the road and will see you guys at a track near you soon. However, I will be more vigilant for those MidAtlantic CMC guys with their sneaky "Velvet 2x4" cocktails and water shot shenanigans!

-JWL

Yep. I'll be out on the road and will see you guys at a track near you soon. However, I will be more vigilant for those MidAtlantic CMC guys with their sneaky "Velvet 2x4" cocktails and water shot shenanigans!

-JWL

Todd,

Welcome, come on in, "we have a seat waiting for you" (evil, scary voice) ........

We'll give you two or three minutes to get comfortable, before we start bringing the heat.

Seriously, Congratulations.

merge, merge ,merge, ai 1, 2, 3, 4 aix. :

No thanks.

Kent, you should seriously consider getting over the anger you have toward a former AI regional director from years ago to at least consider a suggestion that could be good for both classes and NASA as a whole.

Kent, you should seriously consider getting over the anger you have toward a former AI regional director from years ago to at least consider a suggestion that could be good for both classes and NASA as a whole.

Matt,

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. I could really care less about 8 years ago. It has everything to do with the fact that most AI drivers feel that CMC2 should be brought into the AI class, and up to the current AI rule set. My contention is that all of the CMC2 drivers had a choice between AI and CMC2 when they signed up, and they didn't want the high cost of AI. I can see through the BS.....joining CMC & CMC2 into AI is an attempt to keep AI in business. If I knew it would only be a name change I could really give a crap, but that's not the feeling I get when I talk to most AI drivers......most want their car counts up and they see the addition of CMC2 cars as the quickest way to do it.

Let's be honest here, AI would have been much bigger without CMC2 around. With that said, the fact that CMC2 is growing out here twice as fast as AI means that new drivers don't like the AI rule set, and they want to race where the cars are.

Kent

Matt,

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. I could really care less about 8 years ago. It has everything to do with the fact that most AI drivers feel that CMC2 should be brought into the AI class, and up to the current AI rule set. My contention is that all of the CMC2 drivers had a choice between AI and CMC2 when they signed up, and they didn't want the high cost of AI. I can see through the BS.....joining CMC & CMC2 into AI is an attempt to keep AI in business. If I knew it would only be a name change I could really give a crap, but that's not the feeling I get when I talk to most AI drivers......most want their car counts up and they see the addition of CMC2 cars as the quickest way to do it.

Let's be honest here, AI would have been much bigger without CMC2 around. With that said, the fact that CMC2 is growing out here twice as fast as AI means that new drivers don't like the AI rule set, and they want to race where the cars are.

Kent

Kent,

It's a different story in the great lakes region. We have 0-2 cmc cars and no cmc 2 cars but plenty of AI cars. I have guys all the time say man I would love to race with you guys but AI is out of reach and I don't want to drive around by myself in cmc or cmc2.

In my opinion if cmc was called AI1 and Followed current cmc rules and cmc2 was called AI2 followed cmc2 rules and AI well you get the picture.

granted all in all it's all the same but if all cars fell under the ai banner It would give it more of a stepping stone efect to AI AIX .

AI is alive and well. look at the cars for AI at nationals. imagine cmc cmc2 on the track at the same time. 40car fields vs15. sorry but a 40car a field would for sure get my attention.

my opinion would be that AI would grow a ton.

cmc -cmc2 is dead in our region. I've talked with a few guys in your region and I could be wrong but you guys sort of have your own little set of rules for cmc cmc2 and AI overlooking a few things for cars to be legal per the ccr rules ?

It has everything to do with the fact that most AI drivers feel that CMC2 should be brought into the AI class, and up to the current AI rule set.

How would that happen if an AI 1-2-3-4 format was adopted? If anything, it would PREVENT the rules creep that is currently drawing CMC-2 and AI closer together and blurring the line. The format works for Honda Challenge and GTS, why not American Iron?

AI is alive and well. look at the cars for AI at nationals. imagine cmc cmc2 on the track at the same time. 40car fields vs15. sorry but a 40car a field would for sure get my attention.

Come to Hallett in June and you will see the largest AI/CMC fields ever recorded!

Todd, where's the picture of our standing start with 30+ cars on track!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and one for the standing start haters!

I've talked with a few guys in your region and I could be wrong but you guys sort of have your own little set of rules for cmc cmc2 and AI overlooking a few things for cars to be legal per the ccr rules ?

Yep, you are wrong about it. I allowed a 17 inch wheel rule for CMC cars and that was it. The remainder of the rules are exactly the same. The rule applied regionally to prevent a bunch of 95-96 cars from jumping right into CMC2. The rule gave them an option to stay in CMC without buying 16 inch wheels.

You should probably know what you're talking about before you stir the pot.

My only point is that I can care less about a name change as long as we don't have big changes to our rule set. I see many under-built AI cars out there that have a few to many add-ons for CMC2, but are uncompetitive in AI because the driver can't fund the car correctly. My fear is that folks will want to change CMC2 from a almost stock class to a class that is open to many aftermarket parts like AI allows.

Kent

Yep, you are wrong about it. I allowed a 17 inch wheel rule for CMC cars and that was it.

so you did allow something not legal per the ccr.

No big I was just asking . no need to take offense.

Come to Hallett in June and you will see the largest AI/CMC fields ever recorded!

Todd, where's the picture of our standing start with 30+ cars on track!

and one for the standing start haters!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

WOW excellent that is very cool and exactly what I wish great lakes was like. That may just get put on my schedule for 2010 even noticed some midwest guys in that mix/ very cool

WOW excellent that is very cool and exactly what I wish great lakes was like. That may just get put on my schedule for 2010 even noticed some midwest guys in that mix/ very cool

The cookout and party Saturday night is worth the trip alone....the racing is superb as well. Come on down, we'll keep the light on and the beer cold!!!

I'm so glad we can have a simple "Congratulations" thread without it descending into CMC bickering. Please take it elsewhere.

Congratulations Todd. You've got quite the rowdy bunch here...