2010 Rules - Silly Season <<Requests Due 10/26>>

tacovini

I don't know what the beef about passing under yellows is. I've been out of AI for 2 years and I only race in West - except for one Nationals 07.

My biggest beef is the leaders running/racing TO the start. Andy Bowman was NOTORIOUS for this a few years ago. These should always be waved off and repeat offenders black flagged. It's unsportsmanlike behavior. This isn't necessarily an AI rule though.

I didn't understand the 18" wheels rule but I'm just choosing to "ignore" it and continue on my 17's for now.

I vote for no changes.

Christine

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tacovini

• Pat L.

• ST#97

• D Algozine

AI#97 and Scott your both correct, I was just being selfish....I make 364hp 394tq in a very reliable package (which is why I was suprised at people having trouble keeping together motors at 300-330 AI#97) I would like to run AI vs AIX without a major detune (dang thing is slow enough as it is) and i wasn't thinking of people having to rebuild motors Scott I figured they could just take weight out per the new rule and that is FREE- keep the same power be lighter- anyway I was just throwing it out there.

Losing weight sometimes cost MORE than building more power...but when the power let's loose, it gets expensive too. My little mod motor is on season 4 and expect another 2 full seasons out of it. It's WAY overbuilt as part of an engine sponsorship I got back in 2005 and it staying together has been key for me. I think the reason folks aren't seeing long life in the LS1's and old 5.0 based motors is they are being smart about costs and keeping their engine builds sane and not using anything exotic like $2k crankshafts and yadda yadda yadda.

I too agree keep the rules as is with some cost saving measures and loop hole closing that doesn't include losing ABS.

i disagree with dean on the start situation here. only because in grand am its an endurance race, and we are running a sprint race therefore our starts are a very important part of the race. if the guy in front of you screws up you are done, might as well pull off save the car and come back another time. if our races were longer i would be all for it, however with 45 min counting from the time the first car exits pit lane, and the cool down lap we are already short on time to make up positions. turn 1 is always going to be hairy but just like at nationals even tho it was screwed up no one ran into anyone else and there was no carnage. this is racing you are never going to get rid of the dangers that come along with a flying or a standing start. tighten the belts and go balls out or feel free to start at the back....

My opinion is that the race starts when the green flag flies, keep it simple. Punish the pole sitter for speeding up/slowing down or playing games that cause an unnecessary accordion effect, but at the race directors/flaggers discrection.

Keep in mind that for 95% of the season we're racing for wood and a few tire dollars and that this is supposed to be about fun.

"No LS1's in Mudstains, rah rah rah!!!"

sorry, somebody had to go there....

Chevy Powered Mustangs get an X.

and then leave the rules alone.

Chevy-Powered Mustangs must run in AIB for Badass! That's the only thing they're guilty of

And to second what my boy, Chris, mentioned in regards to GPS - I already sent a detailed request that GPS be mandatory next year. It improves competition and makes racing in AI a lot cheaper for the competitors and NASA.

Are LS powered mustangs way faster even if they meet they same power to weight as any other setup? Just curious why they should be automatically in X.

What if like in GTS all cars of whatever make are only allowed engines from that make as well?

Again just curious i dont have an AI car or anything...

No, the LS motor does not defy the laws of physics... it is not Chuck Norris.

some might consider it unholy - like cats and dogs living together

Chevy-Powered Mustangs must run in AIB for Badass! That's the only thing they're guilty of

I just read this to Chris, and she laughed, then suggested maybe LS powered Mustangs should run in AI-Dollar Sign, cuz they blow up so much. Now I'm going to go knock on all sorts of wood so that our LT engine doesn't have any karma issues next time we run it.

Jason

In my opinion an AI Race car should use an engine that came from the cars manufacturer.

How stupid is it that a Ford Motorsports Aluminum block is illegal

in a Mustang but an LS1 is Legal. Maybe I just think on some lineal common sense level and other people don't???

I was under the impresion that AI was a sorta re-birth/take-off of Trans Am? "American Iron™ is a race series that calls to mind the legendary battles of the 1960's when champions competed against each other to win stoplight and drive-in bragging rights for their brand of choice."

I was a small child during those legendary battles of the 1960's but I don't Remember any hermaphrodite pony cars ie. Mustangs with 350 Chevy power or Boss 302 Camaro's.

So if you have unlimited funds or what my Roundy Round buddies call "more cubic dollars" that you wanna spend, go race in AIX with your $80K hermaphrodite pony cars.

Or we should let the FoMoCo boys use the Ford Motorsports Sports Aluminum Block.

Or if I'm so far outta touch than my calculations are correct and we all live in Bizzaro world.

BTW, Patrick Lindsey the LS series of Chevy engines will defy the laws of physics just ask Chuck Norris, he has one in his Tahoe.

In my opinion an AI Race car should use an engine that came from the cars manufacturer.

How stupid is it that a Ford Motorsports Aluminum block is illegal

in a Mustang but an LS1 is Legal. Maybe I just think on some lineal common sense level and other people don't???

I was under the impresion that AI was a sorta re-birth/take-off of Trans Am? "American Iron™ is a race series that calls to mind the legendary battles of the 1960's when champions competed against each other to win stoplight and drive-in bragging rights for their brand of choice."

I was a small child during those legendary battles of the 1960's but I don't Remember any hermaphrodite pony cars ie. Mustangs with 350 Chevy power or Boss 302 Camaro's.

So if you have unlimited funds or what my Roundy Round buddies call "more cubic dollars" that you wanna spend, go race in AIX with your $80K hermaphrodite pony cars.

Or we should let the FoMoCo boys use the Ford Motorsports Sports Aluminum Block.

Or if I'm so far outta touch than my calculations are correct and we all live in Bizzaro world.

BTW, Patrick Lindsey the LS series of Chevy engines will defy the laws of physics just ask Chuck Norris, he has one in his Tahoe.

I can respect your opinion but I think we need to stop telling people to go race elsewhere.

The people that have put an LS1 in their Mustang are taking advantage of what they think is a better package under the current rules. That is no reason not to make them feel welcome.

We all want to go racing and there is no reason to exclude people because they "read" the rules different than you.

Stability, stability, stability.

I can't imagine a necessary rule change from a competition standpoint. If there is something necessary from a safety stand point, by all means make a change, but otherwise leave it alone.

Bob Holmes

I can respect your opinion but I think we need to stop telling people to go race elsewhere.

The people that have put an LS1 in their Mustang are taking advantage of what they think is a better package under the current rules. That is no reason not to make them feel welcome.

We all want to go racing and there is no reason to exclude people because they "read" the rules different than you.

Here, here...well said.

Beehave, Raybob...we know your views on this one.

Im with Raybob on this one, anyone who runs a DAMB GM motor gets to run AIX period! okay now that thats off my chest can we PLEASE be allowed to run aluminum 302,351 ford blocks? I am sick of the mod motor and its torque problems! Its being parted out right now and Im waiting on an answer to this so I can build a real motor!

G Brown,

I'm really not trying to run off anyone, Honest to God....

I want everyone to feel welcome in the AI/CMC brotherhood.

However, I came from SCCA A sedan where more cubic dollars always was winning. Me and my pals jumped to AI because of the fair playing feild and affordability. I truly beleive there is no reason to exclude people because they "read" the rules different than me.

TJ Bain and Tommy Schlender are great examples of How Grassroots poor guys can be competitive in this series. I see AI getting to a point where it will scare newbies away because of Hermaphrodite cars. I love AI and don't wanna see it go that direction. Hell if I had my way we would have No Wings, No Splitters, No Lexan, but the world ain't perfect and I know that.

In RMR AI we want more AI racers and we keep growing.

99% of the AI racers in my region agree with me on this issue.

So if I'm re-elected as RMR AI director in 2010, Mustangs with Chevy Engines that come to our region get an X. They'll complain to National HQ and I'll get spanked but so be it.

Once again I'm jiggy with the rules and don't agree with them all.

I'm behaving Todd Covini just adding my .02 cents.

Thanks Fella's for your time and understanding.

Wow Raybob, I guess if you're dumb enough to believe there's a competitive advantage to putting a chevy in a mustang then I guess you can also be ignorant enough to make it run in "X".

If I'm an outsider looking at the series, this kind of attitude would keep me out, not the frankenstein mustang. AI has enough problems with a rules package that is nearly impossible to enforce, now we have to contend with vigilante series directors. My guess is I could bring my frankenstang to RMR, tell you it's a 4.6L with a crank trigger and you wouldn't know the difference anyways.

I got to watch AI, for the first time really at nationals. I loved watching it, it was really cool good racing.

Watch Paul Brown dominate the feild (the race i watched at least).

Watching Pat win/go fast/be out in front and then cruising by the dyno and seeing him on it after pretty much every session hahahahaha.

I don't know the AI rules that well.

But how is dropping in a LS motor into a mustang "cubic dollars expensive"???

A friend of mine dropped one into a 240sx, and spent less money then most people spend who drop K20a motors into hondas. (its a $5,000 motor.. used...)

The AI cars i took a look at were either carb'd or were running some kind of stand alone ecu. I thought it was pretty funny when i looked under the hood of the blue 07 (ish) mustang and saw that it was carb'd.

Pat, Raybob, whoever.. what makes this swap so expensive??

Seems to me that if you're unwilling to enforce the national rules for a class that you should remove yourself from consideration for regional race director.

We can't in one breath talk about proper enforcement of the existing rule set and then in another state that we're going to make up our own rules in our region.

A legal car by any other name is still a legal car. Your personal consideration be damned.

The cost of Pat's LSx engines 1 though ... probably aren't as great as the stupid money I've spent trying to get a Ford 2.3T to run. If I wasn't so stubborn I'd dump an LSx in my car and run.

Bob Holmes

G Brown,

I'm really not trying to run off anyone, Honest to God....

I want everyone to feel welcome in the AI/CMC brotherhood.

However, I came from SCCA A sedan where more cubic dollars always was winning. Me and my pals jumped to AI because of the fair playing feild and affordability. I truly beleive there is no reason to exclude people because they "read" the rules different than me.

TJ Bain and Tommy Schlender are great examples of How Grassroots poor guys can be competitive in this series. I see AI getting to a point where it will scare newbies away because of Hermaphrodite cars. I love AI and don't wanna see it go that direction. Hell if I had my way we would have No Wings, No Splitters, No Lexan, but the world ain't perfect and I know that.

In RMR AI we want more AI racers and we keep growing.

99% of the AI racers in my region agree with me on this issue.

So if I'm re-elected as RMR AI director in 2010, Mustangs with Chevy Engines that come to our region get an X. They'll complain to National HQ and I'll get spanked but so be it.

Once again I'm jiggy with the rules and don't agree with them all.

I'm behaving Todd Covini just adding my .02 cents.

Thanks Fella's for your time and understanding.

Whoever made you the Regional Director should rethink their decision.

I'm in disbelief, the last thing AI needs is your leadership. Making your own rules is good for the series, how?

What's the big deal about a top running car having to go to the dyno during the national event? I think it's expected, especially if there were inconsistencies in the pulls. I know there was a mechanical issue one day and then a very low pull on another. Personally I think the top 4 should get tested nearly every session.

Also, the cost to make the engine swap is not the real issue. For most of us, it's the principle. It's not the end of the world, but it just seems unecessary, and most believe is blurrs the battle of the muscle cars from the past slugging it out, which is one of the intents of the seriies.

Dave: I don't like the cross-pollination any more than you do, but I damn sure don't think that regional directors should make their own rules. Until there is a National rule change, the Mustachevs are legal. Pat has the right to run in AI anywhere in the country.

How many of the devil-spawn Mustachevs are out there?

Bob

Dave: I don't like the cross-pollination any more than you do, but I damn sure don't think that regional directors should make their own rules. Until there is a National rule change, the Mustachevs are legal. Pat has the right to run in AI anywhere in the country.

How many of the devil-spawn Mustachevs are out there?

Bob

To my knowledge, there is one.

I wouldn't worry too much about Raybobs comments. I don't think that being a director gives you the authority to make up your own rules. I think we are all safe.

I think maybe we all need to take a step back...... no I'm sorry, step forward......no step back. Hey, now were doing the cha cha !!! (Real genious with Val Kilmer, funny stuff)

Real Genious is a classic! Love that movie, and now I'll have to get it on Netflix

RayBob's not behaving...and he's unknowingly suffering from Regional Racer Menopause or "ArArMm" (RRM).

I know, because I've had it...but fully recovered now.

See when new regions startup (like Texas years ago and RM most recently), series directors have a lot of flexibility & authority to "do what it takes" to establish a baseline group of cars and build the series from nothing. As the group grows and is established, a common symptom of RRM is for the Series Director to continue to "do what it takes" because it's been so successful thus far.

Unfortunately, as RayBob demonstrated, such series director comments & suggestions to take matters into their own hands despite what the rules say cause Regional Racer Men To Pause, or RRM.

We'll ship some medicine to the Rocky Mountain and cure RayBob soon....the rules are the rules.