Running in the Rain

LGBesse

I'm torn. I'm going to Beaverun this weekend to the open track event. Here's where I'm torn. I've already attended one track event at Mid Ohio with my stock tires. Michelin Pilot HXMX4, but with the tread wearing away because they are almost at 50k. I do have the acceptable amount to do the open track event at Beaverun, but since there is a chance of rain and I'm a little nervous about traction. I ordered a new set of Hankook Ventus R-S2 tires and am debating about having them installed on my wheels and driving with those. I know the answer is probably obvious, but it's either

A) Since is the last track event of the year run what's left of what I have and change for the new season.

or

B) Run the new tires

Either way, I'm learning and open for learning and anything I can learn through experience and others experience I will use it to improve my driving skill. Everybody's input is valuable to me.

I'd run the new tires, you'd feel really dumb if you hydroplaned into a wall on the old stuff with new ones at home... and that would also hurt your learning curve between fixing the car and regaining your confidence as well.

that said I wouldn't toss the old tires in the garbage, but I would make sure they were dry use only is all

edit - what is the tread depth though? Measuring tire wear by mileage isn't very accurate, not all miles are created equal

Thanks guys. This really helps. And I agree, why kill my confidence (and possibly my car). Plus if the wife heard I hydroplaned off the track she'd kill me when I get home and I'd get grounded.

Tires probably have about 5/32 tread depth. I put then through the wringer at Mid OH and chunked them up nicely that day. They're ok now, but for dry days heretoforth.

5/32nds is probably deep enough if they're still at that level... but if they're chunking I'd go with the nicer, newer, higher performance tires anyway and relegate these to street use when you (inevitably) upgrade to track-only r-comp tires

sponsor relations is also an important thing to keep in mind gotta keep the CFO happy

FWIW, BeaveRun is not Mid-Ohio in the rain. There actually is traction in the wet at BR (M-O is a rim ride in the wet)

T4 there is a puddle on the left (just don't hit it) and on the back stretch there is a river that runs across the track (be aware of it and that's about it), otherwise unless it is really raining its not that bad there. I know of a car (with a very cautious driver) that was running slicks in the rain there just a few weeks ago and turning pretty decent lap times.

Obviously err on the side of caution and good judgment.

Thanks for the info on the track. Helps lots. Got my tires in yesterday and I'm pretty excited to put them on and break them in. Got them on sale at Tire Rack for $78 each so I couldn't pass it up. Plus since I got them so cheap the CFO (hehe) won't be too mad. I always choose the expensive hobbies it seems.

Looked at the weather and it looks wet Fri/Sat. I didn't plan on being there and my car is still on jack stands so its unlikely that I will be otherwise I would say to look me up for some pointers before going out.

...Hope you get your car fixed soon.

HAHAHA, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time... he will always be fixing something on that car

Who is running with the duct tape bumper?

Actually the car is 'fine' the alignment needs a slight tweak (like 1/32" each side). Its just still on jack stands and I am too lazy to bolt on 1 wheel and drop it off the stands, load up the trailer... blah, blah, blah. Especially to run in the rain (not that there is anything wrong with it, just been there done that too lazy to do it again)

I'm back from the weekend and it was a blast. The car performed great with the new tires. The track was a little damp in the morning but ended up dry by the second session. Just need to do some tweaking to the suspension and then I can really fine tune my line and nibble away on lap times. Thanks for the advice guys. Hope to see you at the track next year.

Thanks for the tip. I marked the sidewall at the reference points and 30psi worked best. When I got home though I inflated them back up to 36psi for the street. Thank goodness it didn't rain though. Thanks for the tips PTS.