'Racing style' roll bar fale

Mike Simard

WOW!

I put extra wide 1/4" plates under my cager's feet, wider shoes you might say. Think I'll get some mounts welded to the sills though!

It looks like the cage collapsed too, because it only partially punched through the floorboards...but the whole roof is pancaked.

It looks like the rolling action probably first sheared the front mounts, allowed the cage to fold backwards and down (up?) into the floorboards and then punched through. So it's just as important to have wide plates UNDER the car too so it doesn't rip loose like that. I assume the occupants were pulled backward into the reclined postition as the cage collapsed, and that's why they survived.

It looks like the cage collapsed too, because it only partially punched through the floorboards...but the whole roof is pancaked.

That's assuming the bar came up to the roof.

It's hard enough to weld in a custom cage and use up all the space. For that bolt in mail order bar, it has to fit in through the door and into position without anyone calling Autpower complaining that the new racing bar wont fit into the car

I wouldn't assume what happened w/o actually seeing the results. From photo's I've seen there's a good 8"x8" section of the floor that's ripped out (if not bigger). Haven't read if it had a harness bar or not. With any generic kit, there's a good 1.5" of clearance if the headliner was pulled, so I wouldn't assume that there was a bar failure.

What this has done is wake people up to mounting. Mounting only to the floor is just a bad idea. Tie them into the rockers at the minimum. Round the bottoms of any bolt in plates to keep them from acting like can openers. 1/4" plate welded to 20 guage is not a great idea. The sheet metal is the failure point, not the plates.

• 2 weeks later...

Was it DOM? I would assume it was... anyone know how it was mounted.????? was it a KIRK or Auto Power cage?? I guess that wouldn't really matter as long as it was installed correctly. Who knows of any bolt in cage surviving a end over like that?

From what I recall of a previous time this pic was posted (in the no race cars in TT thread?) there was no harness bar and the reclining seat backs collapsed giving enough room to survive.

• 2 months later...

izzy is correct it isnt the plates ..the floors are paper thin..right where you usually land the cages...you weld to paper the paper rips..iying up into the rocker is a good idea.. or land it ont the x member behind the front seats.

Those aren't the roll bar plates punching through, they're the Speed Racer style jump-jacks!

From what I recall of a previous time this pic was posted (in the no race cars in TT thread?) there was no harness bar and the reclining seat backs collapsed giving enough room to survive.

Well shucks, good thing they were totally inept, otherwise some one migth have gotten killed.