"American Iron Challenge Series -East" 2010 Schedule

Burnett

With the idea of large car counts at great tacks we are again arranging what is being called the "American Iron Challenge Series" for the east coast. The hope is to build a recognized opportunity for AIX, AI and CMC drivers to compete at a higher level than they may be able to at their regional events. Our desire is to offer these NASA events as evenly as possible across the existing schedules of the Midwest/Great Lakes, Mid Atlantic, South East, Florida, and Northeast regions. The choice of where you race is yours though we do value your input on our scheduling. Please keep in mind the overall picture of travel distance, timing vs. other races, weather etc. Below is what we see as the best opportunity for 2010 and it may not include all East Coast regions due to the previously mentioned issues. This is still tentative, not all of the regions have completed their schedules.

Tentative 2010 AI Challenge Series

March 27-28 VIR (great track, cant wait much longer to start)

April 19 Lowes (Monday event, Unique opportunity on oval, best fit with weather concerns)

May 15-16 Putnam (MW/GL cross over, not much else in May, pulls more MW guys in)

June 19-20 Atlanta (great track, not as hot as August)

July 24-25 VIR (great track, July should be great)

August 14-15 Mid Ohio (great track, MW/GL cross over, avoiding April weather)

Non Points Suggested Event

October 2-3 Watkins Glen (great track, if not broken after Nationals)

?Date? Sebring (Do I need to say it, GREAT track, might get in for 2011)

Rules and points system will likely remain unchanged for 2010.

Sponsors and awards are still to be determined and will be shared at a later time. A key learning of 2009 was the value of a Friday night party more so than unique event trophies so we are looking for your feedback on that topic.

Robin

Edited by Guest

Sebring would be really great!

Although I won't make the entire series under even the best conditions, it's very cool that many of you can. I'll make whatever events I can. It will nice to get back to AI next year when my year-long rebuild is completed this winter.

If all East Coast directors could also forward this information on via email to there AI, AIX, and CMC mail list that would be great.

Want to get the word out early this year so everyone can plan ahead.

I like the schedule. I attended the NASA SE July one day event at Charlotte this past July at its a blast.

We get the nice NASCAR garages. We run two sprint races and a 60 or 90 minute enduro at the end of the day. I fully recommend sticking this event on your schedule.

I can also tell you that June at Road Atlanta is about as nice as racing weather gets.

That is a 3 hour Friday enduro with weekend sprint races.

Let me suggest that there is no better testing and practice time than that 3 hour enduro race. Robin used it to get used to the track in 08 and I know he liked it.

I was out for two of the 09 events(VIR and Road Atlanta). If we can get 15 CMC cars and 10 AIX cars to join the average number of AI cars I saw at the events I took part in, we would have 40+ car race. Serious stuff.

Looks great so far, I probably will not do the oval- I am old and afraid and the walls are much too close for my comfort!

Aaron, But they are "soft walls".

yeh, no NE events? What about the glen? This national thing in sept throws a wrench in everyones schedule. Nasa ever consider running the season from oct-oct?

I think there there were a late spring thru summer date at the glen, it would be a no brainer.

But that is not when the date is available.

The NE miss was a real bummer as was the Florida miss as we were making schedule.

Bottom line was the events and the time of year of those events just weren't gonna work with the goal of being done by Nationals based on everyones feedback.

Watkins Glen will be 100% an event I think most of us will totally be attending it just won't be part of the challenge series in 2010 unless we get real strong feedback otherwise. But plan on a ton of us being there for sure as it was amazing!!

Every year we will be changing out tracks and where it goes based on schedules so my hope is next year to have a Florida (Daytona would be amazing) and Watkins Glen and perhaps even the new Bluegrass or AMP tracks if they get finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep looking at that Charlotte event with mixed thoughts. Running 95% of the tri oval is really cool, but that infield looks bland. Thats a long way for a day but i'm sure weekend costs are outrageous there.

The Charlotte infield section is not what I would call bland. Even if it was a little boring, though, paddocking in a first rate NASCAR garage between sessions really does make up for that.

Infield has about 70 foot elevation change and can be pretty wild so actually not bad at all and one of the better I have been to.

Costs for full weekend are literally insane and if I recall they wont even rent it for weekends.

ya I think this one may be worth the trip and a vacation day from work. I drove that track with the richard petty driving experience "at night" pretty cool track and facility.

• 1 month later...

OK, so it's 2010. I have a vacation schedule that I need to fill out for work and so does my wife.

is this schedule confirmed for 2010 season?

• Members
Infield has about 70 foot elevation change and can be pretty wild so actually not bad at all and one of the better I have been to.

That is correct, it is fairly challenging. In fact the first ever NASA American Iron race there resulted in a car coming over the crest on the infield and rolling on it's side!

I am wondering who might be bringing AIX class cars to the East series?

Count me in!

Jim Pantas

http://www.WildHorsesRacing.com