street tires for enduro

bob-e

I've done a few Lemons races in other people's cars and will be doing my own car next year. I will be deciding tire choice and I'm not sure which direction I should go. We started off on Azenis and they did pretty well. The last race I said let's try Star Specs, I hear they are really good. Well they were good for a few laps, but we chunked a front later in the day and they never felt great in the long runs. So we went to the rock hard-heat cycled to death Azenis. Our lap times instantly went down and the car felt better than ever. Since none of the super street tires (Kumho XS, Star Spec, Advan, etc) were made for 200 hard laps, would a harder compound tire be better. Maybe even an all-season with stiff sidewalls? Any ideas on which tires you would look at. Am I thinking too hard for a Lemons race?

Thanks for reading this oddball post. I don't care about winning, I just want a car that handles well and thus fun to drive.

edit: the tires have to be rated 190 treadwear or harder

When we did the lemons a few years ago, we just picked up a set of middle of the line BFG's. Cheap, and worked fine. Honestly, given the amount of dirt, debris, car parts, fluids, and everything else laying on the track, you wouldn't expect any tire to work that well. Just your basic 'High Performance' street tire these days is probably nearly as good as the race tires of yesteryear..

what were you driving? The Star Spec was excellent on the 325es I was in a few weeks ago for LeMons Houston...

That would probably help.

This year was a Subaru SVX AWD (probably 3k lbs). Next year will be a 95 Nissan Sentra SER FWD (prob 2k lbs). Tire rack actually gave the owner a new star spec after the one chunked. But the harder Azenis were still better going by lap times.

oh no wonder, unless you had a very wide size on it you're going to destroy any tire with something like that, esp if it doesn't have enough camber and/or you don't take it easy on the front tires.

the Sentra you guys are talking about should be much nicer on tires, I'd be surprised to see the heat cycled out Azenis be the way to go with that one