Ban race cars from TT!

Boxer12

they must've relaxed on that one since I left, or it was possibly a combined session for some reason

Nope. Not in the 2 years I've been running. Which overlaps with just before you left. (phew)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• jason

• Boxer12

• Trevor57

Top Posters In This Topic

they must've relaxed on that one since I left, or it was possibly a combined session for some reason

Nope. Not in the 2 years I've been running. Which overlaps with just before you left. (phew)

who would want to ride with any of us anyway?

who would want to ride with any of us anyway?

Katie once told me she didn't mind riding with me because anytime we entered a corner she knew I could get it through ok. I told her sometimes when I go into a corner *I* don't know if I can get it through ok. She doesn't ride with me anymore.

Katie once told me she didn't mind riding with me because anytime we entered a corner she knew I could get it through ok. I told her sometimes when I go into a corner *I* don't know if I can get it through ok. She doesn't ride with me anymore.

Let's not forget that one person's "aggresive," might be another person's 70%.

True dat, I believe I had my own thread about race cars in TT to prove that point Trevor

Let's not forget that one person's "aggresive," might be another person's 70%.

True dat, I believe I had my own thread about race cars in TT to prove that point Trevor

I was originally trying to figure out where the OP was from, to see if he was talking about you. But then remembered you didn't run much this year, let alone run TT.

FWIW, the ability to run my car in TT or PT is one of the bigger things attracting me to NASA (the other being the ruleset allowing nearly any car to be classed somewhat competively).

I would hate to use the "roll cage" as a litmus test for "race car." I am using TT as a way of fine tuning my future PT car. Same basic rule set I can work to getting it running competitive times while also getting a form of competition experience.

This is just whining....

--Doug

• Members

Just to anger the OP, a bunch of Mid Atlantic RACECARS will be running TT this weekend.

When I ran the PTB ex-HC1 car Skip was referring to (and Skip beat ME by 2 seconds), I was getting some seat time in it. I knew I was going to be slow, so I made sure I checked my mirrors all the time. In fact, BEING a racer probably made me more comfortable with the mass of cars flying by me.

and also coming from racing, I know what a flyer lap is (qualifying). Simply labeling ALL racers as reckless, dangerous, inconsiderate and irresponsible is simply we todd did.

I find it amazing this has gone 9 pages, really 9 pages

As you can see Boxer12 , although TT is not racing , it still is very competitive. In NorCal , just about every event over the last 2 years lap records are broke, sometimes in 4 or more classes. This is not just a bunch of lackeys going for a drive. It is ALL ABOUT THE LAP TIME.

I think you should stay in hpde.

• Members

Just to clarify, NASA-SE does NOT allow passengers in TT timed non -practice sessions, we used to allow it when they were combined with HPDE 3/4 and when our TT program was first starting (2006-2007) since the goal was to attract more folks to run in TT...

Now that all of our TT sessions are always full we strictly limit drivers to make sure everyone has an opportunity to get a fast lap and yes, we frequently have caged racecars in our TT sessions...

Just to anger the OP, a bunch of Mid Atlantic RACECARS will be running TT this weekend.

When I ran the PTB ex-HC1 car Skip was referring to (and Skip beat ME by 2 seconds), I was getting some seat time in it.

Eric, I was actually referring to Matt from NC. But hey, the favor will be returned this weeknd by you fo' sure!

And don't forget those rotors!

I think you should stay in hpde.

Um, are you guys for real? LOL. I was the GL TTU Champ in 2008 and runner up in 2009. Anyone who calls someone a whiner for bringing up a safety issue is a child. If I ran HPDE (which I obviously did for a while before getting a TT license), I would get one lap before having to maneuver through slow traffic. I generally get two laps in TT (being up in the top group of cars). It's only when I stay out there in traffic that I am getting passed by anyone. I very carefully pick my passing spots. Not everyone does. The usual suspect is in a race car. Anyway, I am tired of trying to have an intelligent conversation with a bunch of children.

Reading only the posts by the OP I think I now know what the intent is. Driving a car that I don't want to risk wether or not the car I am passing is aware of me and picking passing points that are less risk is what I do also. By choice I am limiting the number of fast laps I get. A big part of TT is traffic management.

Two laps before traffic is crazy. In AZ we tried something new last year. Instead of 4 20 minute sessions (80 Minutes total) we run 6 15 minute sessions with split run groups. Usually 3 sessions with SUR and 3 with TTA-TTF. We then run one 20 minute combined session. (110 minutes total). This helped the fastest and slowest cars get more clean laps. Also, we do our best to make sure the field is bunched up for the beginning of the session. This helps with closure rates and separates the caged cars going 160 mph down the straight from the street cars going 110 down the straight for the first three sessions for the driver. Most drivers skip the last session.

Every now and then a racer that doesn't understand the concept of TT gets out in the TT session (many AZ racers do understand TT and are encouraged to compete in TT). These drivers stick out like a sore thumb when they pass halfway through a lap, then pit. Or they contest the last corner and blow both drivers hot lap. They don't understand that they messed up the hot lap the car ahead was on and the fact that the following lap will probably be messed up for both cars too since they will not start with a good run out of the last corner before the straight. TT is about working together for fast laps not finishing order.

Racers and race cars should not be banned from TT. Like others have posted, dangerous drivers should be brought up to your run group leader and dealt with.

Anyway, I am tired of trying to have an intelligent conversation with a bunch of children.

It appears that trying to reason with the OP is like trying to kick water uphill.

Maybe his nonsensical typing days are over, since he surely injured at least 1 arm from patting himself on the back.

Mark

this guy cracks me up children, bah, the only child here is the guy trying to ban a whole class of people because he can't handle dealing with the one bad apple the correct way

I'm with you Boxer12, but I think the organizers should take it even further. Ban helmets and seatbelts too. That way everyone will have to drive REALLY safe and there will never be any accidents.

On a very serious note, a non-race car STi left the track this weekend at Summit Point. As was told to me second hand, he had a brake line fail on Saturday. He left the track and came back Sunday with a new line in place. Near the end of the first session Sunday, said STi lost brakes again going into T1. Estimated top speed for his car by another STi owner was ~150 mph. He went through the sand trap, (next part may or may not be correct) rolled the car twice with the tires barely touching, hit a depression between the trap and the tire wall/concrete barriers, and like a springboard launched over the tires completely and barely contacting the barriers before coming to rest on all four wheels outside of the track. This is the same turn in which our friend Cale died almost exactly one year ago.

The driver(purposely leaving his name out) walked away with soreness and a bruise or two if I was told correctly. He was wearing a Hans or Hans-type device. He had just recently had a cage put in. Again, to my knowledge he is not a racer. We are all extremely happy that that cage was put in before the end of the year.