• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• jason

• Boxer12

• ff2skip

Top Posters In This Topic

To go with Skip's story... 2 CMC cars lost brakes earlier this year at nearly the same time in turn 1 (pictures were posted here. One hit the wall at an estimated 110+. The other went through the gap in the wall, lost control on the skid pad, and hit a tree sideways. Both drivers walked away. Without cages, I doubt they would have been so lucky. Sure they were racing, but racers I know that run TT often see higher speeds in TT than racing.

No matter what group they run in, drivers should always be encouraged to increase safety. That should include encouraging, not discouraging cages.

yikes, I hope this was not either of the 2 TTA STi's I ran against at VIR

glad whoever it is, is ok

I think those two guys are Martin and Justin, both of whom were there this weekend. This driver ran in TTS.

On a very serious note, a non-race car STi left the track this weekend at Summit Point. As was told to me second hand, he had a brake line fail on Saturday. He left the track and came back Sunday with a new line in place. Near the end of the first session Sunday, said STi lost brakes again going into T1. Estimated top speed for his car by another STi owner was ~150 mph. He went through the sand trap, (next part may or may not be correct) rolled the car twice with the tires barely touching, hit a depression between the trap and the tire wall/concrete barriers, and like a springboard launched over the tires completely and barely contacting the barriers before coming to rest on all four wheels outside of the track. This is the same turn in which our friend Cale died almost exactly one year ago.

The driver(purposely leaving his name out) walked away with soreness and a bruise or two if I was told correctly. He was wearing a Hans or Hans-type device. He had just recently had a cage put in. Again, to my knowledge he is not a racer. We are all extremely happy that that cage was put in before the end of the year.

I was the driver of that car, and this story is pretty much spot on (I watched the in-car video). Other than some bruises and a lot of back pain, I'm fine. I am positive that had it not been for a very well built cage (thanks IAG Performance), HANS, 6-point harness, and halo seat, I wouldn't be here typing this. I don't recall much since it happened so fast, but the video shows how violent the whole incident was. A roll cage and the proper safety equipment saved my life, I can't see why anyone would want to ban this. We should be moving towards building safer cars, not going the other direction.

• 2 weeks later...
Otherwise, I am going to have to put in a cage, and won't be able to drive my car on the street anymore. That would make me sad.

"All cars faster than mine are racecars. Therefor, I have the fastest streetcar!"

smack your director upside the head the next time you see 'em

Bring yer ass to RA in Dec and do it yourself.

Just make sure I'm around to watch.

This thread (just found it today) sure got personal all of a sudden. Go ahead someone try to smack my head at RA

now back to see the rest of the story..

On a very serious note, a non-race car STi left the track this weekend at Summit Point. As was told to me second hand, he had a brake line fail on Saturday. He left the track and came back Sunday with a new line in place. Near the end of the first session Sunday, said STi lost brakes again going into T1. Estimated top speed for his car by another STi owner was ~150 mph. He went through the sand trap, (next part may or may not be correct) rolled the car twice with the tires barely touching, hit a depression between the trap and the tire wall/concrete barriers, and like a springboard launched over the tires completely and barely contacting the barriers before coming to rest on all four wheels outside of the track. This is the same turn in which our friend Cale died almost exactly one year ago.

The driver(purposely leaving his name out) walked away with soreness and a bruise or two if I was told correctly. He was wearing a Hans or Hans-type device. He had just recently had a cage put in. Again, to my knowledge he is not a racer. We are all extremely happy that that cage was put in before the end of the year.

We had to life flight out a TTA STi driver at CMP a few years ago for a similar incident. He broke his back but recovered fine.

I remember as I was quietly explaining to an indignant performance shop owner why I did not allow passengers in regional TT- a C5 FRC totalled itself, in TT, at Barber - right below us on the front straight. As I pointed out the car shedding parts all over the track he lost his fire at that point.

I have not seen car to car in TT yet - but statistics say it will happen (I have seen car to car in HPDE - more then once). I have seen too many cars totalled in TT (and HPDE).

I have dealt with aggressive drivers and passive drivers in TT. I have had racers be a problem and I have had street cars be a problem. I cannot see everything but I have plenty of competent drivers on track to let me know how everyone is playing nicely. NASA-SE TT drivers are better, as a whole, on track then a lot of the W2W racers I have run with. W2W is about being first across the line and does drive different mindset.

But it seems this thread flamed out before I even saw it - I think we should ban work so threads like these get the attention they deserve.

• 2 weeks later...

This has nothing to do with competition. I am in the region with Danny. Danny will still win Nats and he will just do it in a Z06 without a cage. The overly aggressive drivers will get their kicks (and have their shunts) in the races, (where Danny will beat them in a caged car).

Haven't read the whole thread, but have a question.

So you are saying Danny should have to show up with TWO different cars to Race and TT in TWO COMPETITIVE events????

Or should he cut out the cage and re-weld it between Race and TT sessions?

Either sounds like it should be easy to do.

If anything, you with a non-caged car will be out of TT before anyone with a cage will.