Why split rungroups?

Cheap_Thrills

If the cars are bunched up, come int the pits for room

It doesn't solve the problem if there are two or three bunches on the track. You come in and then 30 seconds later you are right back in a train. That has happened to me.

Maybe true but it won't ever hurt. When a driver has all 1-2's in the HPDE passport, that is the time to consider moving up a group.

With regard to being in a momentum car, the solution is *NOT* to let the fast car behind you pass. That's no fun for you and you'll be doing that all day once you catch a car that's faster than you on the straight but slower in the turns. Once you catch that car, stay on them until *YOU* get the point by and then after you pass that person, worry about the faster car behind you. Otherwise, at every passing zone, you'll be pointing cars by and then catching that slow car again in the turns. Look at it this way... you caught the slower car first. You take the pass first and then let the other cars behind you get by. You'll have much more fun this way.

With regard to having fun and the novice driver who's never been on the track before and mixing HPDE1 and 2. Think about it from that novices perspective. Sure, you're there as an HPDE2 driver to have fun and go fast. But what about that newbie who this is entirely new to and is scared to death of everything going on around them driving their baby on the track in close proximity to other cars in a situation they've never EVER experienced? They're there to have fun too. Give them their room, pull into the hot pit, or make some room for yourself on the track. Take the opportunity to do a SLOW lap, work on your line, point EVERYONE by you and then do another 1/2 slow lap and by then you should have some space on the track. It's VERY rare that the entire track is a train. It's usually one or maybe two trains. Even pull into the hot pit and go slower than normal through. Or just pull into the hot pit, park against the wall for 30 or 45 seconds and THEN go back out.

With regard to having fun and the novice driver who's never been on the track before and mixing HPDE1 and 2. Think about it from that novices perspective. Sure, you're there as an HPDE2 driver to have fun and go fast. But what about that newbie who this is entirely new to and is scared to death of everything going on around them driving their baby on the track in close proximity to other cars in a situation they've never EVER experienced?

exactly my point about "why split rungroups?"

If they had no HPDE4 running, that means there was the opportunity to have HPDE1 & 2 run seperately. It would be much less anxiety and more fun for everyone. I guess they chose the route with most profit instead since they could jam more HPDE1's on the roster by having the instructors pull double duty. Oh well, it is a business, after all.

I do remember the HPDE1 days, that's why I try to keep my distance and not intimidate the slower driver. I guess I'm to considerate for my own good.

Sometimes it happens that you have 50 HPDE1 registrants and 5 HPDE2 registrants. Nature of the beast.

And, like others have said prior to me, it is NOT easy. I've organized 3 or 4 track events and can only HOPE to be 1/2 as good as a NASA event

Well, other clubs have a max registration number for School group and thats it, no mas. If the Solo group isn't completely filled, then they just run with fewer cars in that group. Maybe they didn't make the most registration money possible but the drivers are happier. Students aren't pressured as much and Solos aren't slowed down as much. Maybe not smart business for that weekends bottom line, but in the long run many people would return next time and spread the word about the great experience it was, instead of posting a video of how frustrated they are with traffic. No matter how good a job it was of managing all the races and HPDe together, if you start to get a negative reputation, customers start looking elsewhere.

Again, I don't pretend to know what it looks like from the organizer's side. Just giving my view from the consumer's side.

Sounds like you've made up your mind and are going elsewhere. Enjoy

Nice attitude. You don't like the way we do it then go somewhere else.

I have to say that I agree with Cheap_Thrills completely. If I were still in HPDE 1 or 2 (I'm not), and if NASA-SE were still doing combined run groups (they aren't). I would take my business elsewhere also.

Attitude? I made a statement that it sounds like he's made up his mind and is going elsewhere. Unless I'm reading between the lines incorrectly, that's what this whole thread seems to be about. He is unhappy with combined run groups and wants to run elsewhere until he is more experienced at which time he'll think about coming back. Correct me if I'm wrong?

And then I said for him to enjoy... unless you weren't being sarcastic and were seriously saying nice attitude; because I thought I came off friendly?

I didn't read every post in detail, but one of the reasons for combining 1 & 2 is so the instructors in the 1 cars can watch the 2 drivers' behavior while solo. That feeds in to the recommendation to move to 3.

bruce

Attitude? I made a statement that it sounds like he's made up his mind and is going elsewhere. Unless I'm reading between the lines incorrectly, that's what this whole thread seems to be about. He is unhappy with combined run groups and wants to run elsewhere until he is more experienced at which time he'll think about coming back. Correct me if I'm wrong?

And then I said for him to enjoy... unless you weren't being sarcastic and were seriously saying nice attitude; because I thought I came off friendly?

I read your post differently. It came across, to me, as very sarcastic. If I was wrong then I apologize.

I read the OPs post as a suggestion from a customer to a business on how to improve their product. A suggestion that has been made by others before.