Insurance for TT

backup

I'm really interested in TT, but am concerned about insurance coverage. My policy, and most others I've seen, specifically deny coverage for any timed event. I don't see much gray area for TT. HPDE is usually covered as it is not timed. How do you handle insurance for the TT events?

Check with another carrier. Some carriers exclude "racing" from coverage. Generally a timed event is not considered to be racing, and thus, events such as Auto-X (Solo I or II) are covered. Even if the policy specifies only that "racing" is excluded, be sure to check the definition of that term as it is contained within the policy.

If you can't obtain a policy that covers you, the second alternative is to find an older car that you can afford to absorb the risk of damage and prep it as a dedicated track car. Downside here is that you may have to tow it to the track.

Although the risk of damage is relatively slim, I have seen several cars that have been destroyed (or severely damaged) due to on track incidents. From what I have seen, most of these cars seem to be newer cars driven by a less experienced driver in the HPDE type events (although some of the events may have been with a different sanctioning body). Three BMWs, a Porsche, a WRX, and Mustang come to mind.

If you do use your daily dirver, don't try to set the world on fire on your first day out. Try to learn the track and your car before going all out. Watch to see where other drivers are experiencing problems.

• National Staff

Also, I understand that there are carriers that will sell separate track/race policies if you are really concerned. I don't know who they are though. I think that most of the TT drivers just realize that there is a slim possibility that there could be damages, and they have different ways of approaching that situation if it were to arise.

I suspected that might be the case, that people just assume the risk. But I also wonder if everybody actually understands the risk. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't want to find out after I hit the wall that I'm not covered for $20k or more. Or what if somebody hits me? It would be great if NASA built a relationship with an insurer to sell event coverage to TT participants, thereby eliminating any question. I have great fun in HPDE, and am interested in TT as the next step, but won't do it until I have no doubts about insurance coverage.

Some very good questions are being asked on this thread. When I first began my 'Open Track' addiction I was instructed "don't put anything on the race track you can't afford to bend". I think this is 'sage' advice. HPDE participants are not enguaged in a speed contest, they are learning the art of high speed driving in a controled and relatively safe enviroment. NASA Time Trialer's, although held to a higher standard of behavior than regular HPDE participants, are engauged in a contest. Many insurance companies exclude coverage in this case. Prudent drivers will know this in advance. Imagine wadding up your car due to an oil slick or track debree and then finding out your not covered. Worse, imagine blowing an inside pass around a NSX or Porche and wadding up someone elses expensive car. TT participants should be the most carefull, alert drivers on the track, and it will be wise to know your liabilities in advance. My personal insurance does not cover timed contests, and I have my agent checking options for me in case I decide to TT my Miata.