FNG: I'd search, but not sure what to search for!

DR1665

Hi there!

My name's Brian and my friend Dan and I were roving spectators at Phoenix International Raceway this afternoon for what I'm fairly certain was HPDE/TT (with an Enduro later in the day). Needless to say, as gearheads, we're totally hooked.

Here's my situation:

I've been s l o w l y prepping a 91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 for stage rally. Sadly, to date, it's more stripped street car than budding rally project. Time and money, right? I recently dug in and started budgeting towards a proper cage, but now I'm waffling. Including the cage, I could easily spend 7 large on prep and still not have the funds to enter my target rally, let alone haul the car up the hill, eat and sleep for three days, et al.

I want and need seat time. My race car collects dust and the urge to play with my daily driver (also a Galant VR4) grows stronger every day. Rally is the ultimate goal, but seat time is seat time.

Here's my question:

I've been reading through the rules and was curious. Suppose I *just* get the main hoop installed with the Rally America-mandated, gusseted x-bars (RA rules are stricter, meaning more options rally event-wise) and a harness bar.

Is the cage an all or nothing deal? Would I pass tech, provided the DOM met the minimum thickness, 4 mandrel bends ~180*, welding, and padding requirements? (Seats, harnesses, helmets are easy enough.)

I would really like to keep the cobwebs at bay, here. Run a mix of HPDE, NASA-X events, while rolling out to SoCal to do a few rally-x events if I can't organize any locally. (I have no plans to lower the car, but I'm not going to try passing tech with gravel tires at, say, PIR.)

Appreciate the feedback. This is the difference between a $10,000 race weekend a year from now and a $2000 series of races starting in about four months.

Thanks!