Standing Starts - In or Out of 2010 ?

D Algozine

Are standing starts going to be completed at the Nationals in 2010?

Will there be standing starts in the Midwest or Great Lakes Regions?

Which regions are planning to have standing starts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Matt

• robbodleimages

• kbrew8991

• Aaron B

As far as I'm concerned in the Great Lakes region that is up to the racers. If you tell me you want to do standing starts we'll make it happen. It has been my impression that most of the racers didn't want to do it but I could be wrong.

• Members

We used to do them in the SE but we don't anymore. There seemed to always be some sort of carnage involved when we did them. Just not worth it when most of us are paying our own way. Therefore, don't plan on changing in 2010 unless I get overruled by the majority...

Ed

• Members
There seemed to always be some sort of carnage involved when we did them.

I've heard that before. Myself, I think standing starts are less likely to result in the big one. Turn 1 entry is much lower and, if the group did their job during the rolling start, the cars are just as close together.

I love standing starts. I'd do them each and every race if I could. I'd love to see a field of 40 cars at nationals doing a standing start!

I've heard that before. Myself, I think standing starts are less likely to result in the big one. Turn 1 entry is much lower and, if the group did their job during the rolling start, the cars are just as close together.

I love standing starts. I'd do them each and every race if I could. I'd love to see a field of 40 cars at nationals doing a standing start!

so if a third row car stalls out in a 40 car field that doesnt sound like a big one waiting to happen to you guys? at least with rolling starts everyone is moving, a first turn wreck is going to happen either way just as often when there are a lot of cars on the track. KEEP ROLLING STARTS!!!

Someone is always slow off the line and/or stalls - I found it easier to avoid that in the World Challenge standing starts then the wrecks that happen in the middle of the rolling ones- look at that big vintage wreck @ Road America a few years ago- it is 6 and one half dozen either way you do it - I'm good either way, I have always enjoyed the standing starts in CMC and World Challenge and like rolling ones too- either way is fine with me- if a bunch of guys raise there hands at an event or two this year for a standing start count me in.

Every standing start that Ive seen has had a wreck in there. The rolling starts that Ive been involved in have never had a wreck on the green flag.

Now, I am going to say that it depends on the nature of your region and how you race. Don't remotely think that your region races like the others. I race for fun. If someone wants to challenge me at the start to T1, they can have it. I want to finish more than win the start. There is no conservative way to standing start.

My opinion is if you want to drag race, go to the drag strip.

I managed to take out George winklers rear bumper and rear tailight at mid ohio few years back on a rolling start cause he either missed a shift of fell asleep on a rolling start. I 've done more then a few standing starts as well and never had or seen a incident

I am curious. How many racing series do standing starts? I know that NASCAR, INDYCAR, Grand Am, and ALMS are all rolling starts. F1 is standing. Who in North America does standing starts?

F2000, World Challenge GT &Touring, Atlantic did for a long time, CMC, Honda Challenge, V8 Supercar, BTCC, WRC, Horseracing, Runners, Swimmers, Moto and Supercross, Bmx, Snocross,....I digress- I have done a ton of both and there is no more or less incidents with either one, everyone can tell horror stories from Both kinds of starts, it's all the same, sometimes Stuff happens sometimes not.

Greyhounds, Moto GP, AMA Superbike, *Luge, Bobsled*

*rocking start, different from standing or rolling*

Edited by Guest

F2000, World Challenge GT &Touring, Atlantic did for a long time, CMC, Honda Challenge, V8 Supercar, BTCC, WRC, Horseracing, Runners, Swimmers, Moto and Supercross, Bmx, Snocross,....I digress- I have done a ton of both and there is no more or less incidents with either one, everyone can tell horror stories from Both kinds of starts, it's all the same, sometimes Stuff happens sometimes not.

LOL. Great response, Aaron!

Would Luge be considered a standing start?

When does the clock start clicking there?

I've only done rolling , so no experience with a standing start. So, I'm not sure what to expect, but I've been building this car and haven't done much lately, as I'm waiting to see if any changes are in the future. So, I'd like to choose a clutch and get that in the works, but the type of start may influence my decision.

Chris, Todd what can I expect?

Edited by Guest

Yo, A2 (Aaron) you forgot Greyhounds.............no not the buses.

Robin

Now that would be entertaining. Watching Greyhound buses standing start.

I would only guess we maybe might do a couple standing starts this season vs it being the rule?..but as far as your clutch goes, the same good quality clutch you would use for rolling starts will be fine for standing starts- it's not going to be a 6000rpm sidestep trust me- so unless you were planning to put in some teeny tiny clutch that you only use for a rolling start then shift without it like some cars with sequential boxes do whatever clutch you were looking at currently will be fine - I did 20 plus standing starts in CMC with a 3200lb car 230 at the wheels with a stock Mustang GT clutch- granted AI has 100 more hp and more tq but you get the picture.

LOL. Great response, Aaron!

Would Luge be considered a standing start?

When does the clock start clicking there?

Technically, that is a running start.

The clock doesnt start until they start running rather than them starting to run when the clock starts.

Can't even count the number of standing starts I ran in my CMC cars with a stock clutch that was used when I put it in, inlcuding all three Nationals at M-O with standing starts. Ran three seasons with it in my Fox, then put the engine, trans and same used clutch in my SN95 and ran another season. In all that time I never smoked the clutch or had an incident on the line, except for the ONE TIME I stalled it when the flag guy didn't follow the previously agreed on procedure for the start!! NOT MY FAULT!

A mix of both would be fun.

Coming from a drag racing background a standing start in road racing is much easier on parts. Like Aaron said we're talking about sidestepping, not slipping. IMO driving around the pits or trying to load onto the trailer without a winch is a much harder task on a tiny clutch disk than a 3-4k rpm dump. I run a 7.5" axle and i'm not even worried about it.

except for the ONE TIME I stalled

You're welcome.

Signed....The Guy Behind You.

I like any style of start, as it usually leads to a race, which is the point. Having said that, the standing starts seem to up the grin factor quite a bit. Missing Matt was 'interesting', and with a larger field it may have lead to something more than an ongoing gag, but it was way less of a pants filler than getting shoved into the left side grass at Blackhawk at full fart on a rolling start.

I've only done rolling , so no experience with a standing start. So, I'm not sure what to expect, but I've been building this car and haven't done much lately, as I'm waiting to see if any changes are in the future. So, I'd like to choose a clutch and get that in the works, but the type of start may influence my decision.

Chris, Todd what can I expect?

So, what are the plans for 2010? National starts, rolling or standing ?