Standing Starts - In or Out of 2010 ?

D Algozine

There is a lot of conjecture and speculation in this thread, especially from people that would appear to have NEVER done a standing start (or at least very few), that they are somehow more dangerous or likely to cause accidents or damage than a rolling start. Yet those of us who have collectively done hundreds of standing starts in NASA competition have experienced hardly any problems. Rob, you specifically are warning us that the "big one" is out there ready to incinerate all of our cars, but give me an example of it actually happening? On the other hand, the worst wreckage I have ever seen happened during that vintage race at Road America during a ROLLING start, which lends credence to the argument that given how screwed up so many amateur rolling starts are (exhibit 1 being the AI start at Miller this year), rolling starts are actually more dangerous because they are far for likely to generate accordion effect and large disparities in closing speeds at Turn 1.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Matt

• robbodleimages

• kbrew8991

• Aaron B

Yet those of us who have collectively done hundreds of standing starts in NASA competition have experienced hardly any problems.

Hey Matt, do you guys do standing starts in Formula Vee?

No, but I would love to try, and I've probably done at least 50 in other cars. Have you EVER done one? Or are you just speculating about what the problems MIGHT be?

Matt,

In this case I am specifically responding to the, "if you are afraid of damage, why are you racing" comment.

As for the big one, we dont do standing starts in NASA SE anymore specifically BECAUSE of actual carnage, not feared potential. Ive seen it.

Ed McGuire has commented about that in this thread.

On the other hand, I have also said in this thread that rolling or standing, the most important thing to a start of a race is overall philosophy.

What this thread is REALLY about is a couple guys who installed lightweight clutch setups because they thought it was a competitive advantage getting antsy about the idea that they might become a liability if there are some standing starts in AI in the future.

no...i think its pretty simple. this thread is here to push an agenda. to change the nationals from rolling to standing starts. some guys like the idea. some don't. some regions do standing starts and some don't.

its not about a couple of guys with a clutch agenda.

point being, if your worried about damage, why are you even racing?

This coming from a DIRECTOR who's car looks like a demo derby racer after 5 years...

Either way, a jumped start needs to be black flagged. Not doing so is spitting in the face of the racers who did nit right.

Standing starts are for real racers. Trust me, you do more damage to the clutch loading the damn car on the trailer....

Ok guys....I'm going to lock this thread before the personal attacks really start coming.

I think we've heard equally from both sides, both for & against standing starts.

I think we've heard equally from regions which do standing starts and those that do rolling starts.

No decisions have been made to date.

I've told you my view was on the subject.

Flexibility is king.

I've offered a compromise.

Unified national series identity is important.

-=- Todd