2010 American Iron Racing Rules Released!

tacovini

I can only imagine the personal satisfaction felt by the NASA people in charge of the rules after spending a boatload of time, unpaid, working on rules that they thought were fair, only to have a lot of people complain about them. This follows the "you can't make everyone happy all the time" rule. Rest assured that the powers that be considered the upside and downside of every rule change. Truth be told, no matter what rules they put in place, no one would be completely happy.

I am a trial lawyer by trade. I think a lot of the rules of procedure really suck. The rules of evidence suck even worse. But, they are the rules, therefore I read them, understand them, and play by them. I haven't the time or the inclination to get appointed onto the not-for-profit board that makes the rule suggestions and revisions, therefore (other than right now), I don't even complain about them.

My wife is a condominium and homeowner association attorney. People on the boards of directors of those entities are much like the NASA officials here. They do a thankless job, without pay, and burn up dozens of hours of their own personal time every month and then take a hellacious beating for every decision they make, even though there never is a "right" decision that could be made, because then someone else would complain.

The point of my rant is to encourage all of you to give these poor people a break. There was a lot of comment on the rules before they were approved. A lot. The decisions have been made. Let it go now, get your wrenches, do what you have to do to be legal by the indicated timelines (which were generous), and let's race and have fun. The NASA people are doing what they in their hearts truly think is right for the series. I have yet to meet a NASA official that isn't a true gear head down to the core.

Matt White - is that you?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T&A Racing

• DHarsay

• JKnight

• robbodleimages

I run a 1968 Firebird with an Iron Block and Aluminum heads, still heavy as a boat anchor and the block is 40 years old.

If I read the rules right in AI I can run any OEM Iron or Aluminum block, that means any GM, not just Pontiac.

Pontiac made some Aluminum blocks in the 60's and one is now available in the aftermarket, but not offered by GM, and since Pontiac no longer exists why can't I use it in AI?

Seems odd that I can install a modern LS engine in a 42 year old car but not an aftermarket Pontiac to replace a block that went out of production over 30 years ago.

I can't buy any Pontiac block from any GM source, but I can get Iron and Aluminum Pontiac blocks in the aftermarket.

Would the aftermarket blocks be ok in AI-X?

What's considered an OEM equivalent?

Edited by Guest

I don't think you read closely the other post, it is not about how difficult, or expensive the dash is, it is more about it being pointless with no reason. Todd says he is going to explain, if it's a good one great, if it's not then I guess we can express our opinions. I also agree the engine thing is a much bigger pain and costs, again for no real clear reason, at least yet.

I would argue and guess that the reason is so that the cars improve their aesthetics.

Matt White - is that you?

Glenn, you ARE a dumba$$ and probably need a reading comprehension class. My car is for sale, I've had enough of TX "leadership" which is now National "leadership"...and no longer care.

so please, leave me out of this....

I don't think you read closely the other post, it is not about how difficult, or expensive the dash is, it is more about it being pointless with no reason. Todd says he is going to explain, if it's a good one great, if it's not then I guess we can express our opinions. I also agree the engine thing is a much bigger pain and costs, again for no real clear reason, at least yet.

I would argue and guess that the reason is so that the cars improve their aesthetics.

That would be a reason, in my opinion the rule may not accomplish that as written, but if the goal is to make it look like a stock dash, knowing that now would be better than latter. If there is some thing else they are wanting to accomplish it would be great to know. As you can guess I don't think the aesthetics of the inside of my car is worth wasting a dime on. Neat, clean no loose wires, safe all good stuff, pretty who cares, stock like, my car is way past that look no matter what my dash looks like.

I really think, a hot shoe from cali kick some ass at nats and he didn't have dash so now that is bad. But that is just a made up reason since we have not gotten anything official. Maybe we can come up with a top 10 reason list.

Chris, think I will stand by my lawyer jokes, same advice I get all the time, don't buck the system, unless you hire one of them to help you.

This dash thing really seems like a lot of folks are worked up over a pretty minor thing. We have more then a year to spend $50 for a sheet of aluminum and a few hours of work to come up with a dash. I'm really not for it, or against it, but why is it such a big deal? There already are standards / rules regarding the appearance of cars. This is just another one.

The dash will be the point of attachment for the addition of the required airbags in 2011. Good thing my car is already equipped with the special do-it-yourself type that I can blow-up 2 laps prior to my wreck.

If anyone needs a nice sheetmetal aluminum dash for an SN95 Mustang, send me a PM. 50 bucks and it's yours. Won't ship it, so either pick it up or arrange delivery. I could get it to Hallet or Nationals next year.

IMG_3887.jpg

Edited by Guest

I run a 1968 Firebird with an Iron Block and Aluminum heads, still heavy as a boat anchor and the block is 40 years old.

1. If I read the rules right in AI I can run any OEM Iron or Aluminum block, that means any GM, not just Pontiac.

Pontiac made some Aluminum blocks in the 60's and one is now available in the aftermarket, but not offered by GM, and since Pontiac no longer exists why can't I use it in AI?

2. Seems odd that I can install a modern LS engine in a 42 year old car but not an aftermarket Pontiac to replace a block that went out of production over 30 years ago.

I can't buy any Pontiac block from any GM source, but I can get Iron and Aluminum Pontiac blocks in the aftermarket.

3. Would the aftermarket blocks be ok in AI-X?

What's considered an OEM equivalent?

1. Yes you are right, you can run any GM block that was available in a Pontiac from GM.

2. That rule is not written just for Pontiac and we don't have a specific rule for each model, so that's why no aftermarket blocks, but if the block was made by Pontiac in the 60's and available as an option for street cars then it should be legal to use.

3. Yes