subframe bushings

locsicom

I bought a 325i this winter to use in HPDE/TT next year and hopefully in Spec3 in 2011. I've started purchasing parts to build the car towards the Spec3 rules but have a question on the subframe bushings.

I purchased the "UUC Motorwerks Urethane Subframe Mount" (http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/Product424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and was wondering if these would be Spec3 legal. Section 9.3.8.9 of the rules states: "Unless specified, suspension bushing material may be substituted." To mean this reads as if I can use these bushings, but section 8.3 of the rules states: ""Substituted" means that original OEM equivalent items may be used." and this has me thinking that I can only use OEM bushings. Can I use the subframe bushings I purchased?

Thanks for any clarification anyone can offer and sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question.

Michael

NASA Midwest

I just studied the same subject...and stock-like/OEM rubber bushings and mounts are required in the rear suspension for Spec3...So no, you can't use the parts your purchased if you plan to go Spec3 in the future

Thanks for your help.

Is it just me or is that section of the rules a little vague? Perhaps the part numbers of the bushings could be included like what is done for other required parts elsewhere in the rules.

check this thread out..it contains just about all you need to know about Spec3. (w/part numbers)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18215516&postcount=507

Thanks for your help.

Is it just me or is that section of the rules a little vague? Perhaps the part numbers of the bushings could be included like what is done for other required parts elsewhere in the rules.

• Members

I appreciate the feedback as we continue to fine-tune the rules to ensure simple and straightforward comprehension.

The key words within the rules are as follows:

8.1. If the Regulations do not specifically permit a modification, it may not be

made.

8.2. "Original" means "stock for the chassis, model and year of the car."

8.3. "Substituted" means that original OEM equivalent items may be used.

8.4. "Replaced" means that the item may be replaced with items meeting or

exceeding OEM specifications.

8.5. "Modified" means that the item may be replaced, machined, welded, ground,

cut, or removed

By using the word "substituted," in the case of bushings, we provided the competitors with the ability to purchase the pieces from vendors outside of your BMW parts shop. The pieces which are sold by Bimmerparts for instance, are stock replacements, but are not necessarily manufactured by the original OEM) vendor. I hope that this helps to provide some additional insight.

To address your original question, by swapping in a set of urethane bushings, that would not be "OEM equivalent" in terms of the composition of the material, so it would NOT be legal.

We look forward to having you join the grid in the future.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks for your input Jon. I will return the UUC bushings and order some OEMs.

I'm going to try and install them myself and will post my success or failure here.

• Members

Laze1,

I promise you that it will be near impossible to beat the prices and customer service of Bimmerparts. www.bimmerparts.com

Ask for Chris, tell him that you are a Spec 3 racer. He will take care of you.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

I bought the bushings from rmeuropean.com and new bolts and washers from getbmwparts.com. Below are the quantity and part #'s you need as well as a link to the realoem page that details the rear subframe.

(1) 33319059301

(4) 33331132546

(2) 33321094476

(1) 33319059300

(2) 33311136428

(2) 33311133463

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB33&mospid=47498&btnr=33_0366&hg=33&fg=30

It's a good idea to support a company like bimmerparts.com that is supporting the series.

Good luck with the install! I burned my old ones out and had a shop press in the new ones for me. I think it was like $65 for them to press the OEM bushings in which I thought was a rip off, but oh well.

Good luck with the undertaking though, it isn't too terribly difficult! Let me know if you need any help and I can walk you through the procedure if needed.

I also have some pictures of it on my build thread over on bimmerforums...spec3 build from blacksburg or something along those lines.

GL!

Hey guys, looks like several of the OEM suspension bushing have changed part numbers (again). I just ordered a full rear end rebuild kit from Bimmerparts and some of the number don't match what is in the Spec3 rules...mainly the RTABs:

the specs call for 33-32-6-770-817, and the current part number is 33-32-6-770-786

I am sure others have changed also. I suggest that the important parts get updated in the 2010 rules...

Chris@Bimmerparts was going to work on getting the new part numbers changed in the rule book...

• Members

the specs call for 33-32-6-770-817, and the current part number is 33-32-6-770-786

All,

To address the questions surrounding the RTABs part numbers, part number 33-32-6-770-817 continues to be the correct number. Please keep in mind that this part number is specified because it is an E46 M3 part and is the stiffest option from the factory parts bins.

The part number 33-32-6-770-786 may be new, however it is for NON-M3 E46 cars (as well as a few others such as the X3).

Please let me know if there are any issues finding the proper parts. Many thanks to all of the vendors who to continue to support the series and competitors who help me and others to ensure that the rules are as up to date as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished replacing my subframe bushings last week. It went much easier than I thought it would. I made a tool out of a 3" diameter by 4" length galvanized pipe, pipe cap, 1/2" threaded rod, various size washers and some 1/2" nuts. I used the tool to push the old bushings out and push the new ones in. Heating up the metal surrounding the bushings with a mapp torch made it easy work to get them pushed out. I got the idea for the tool from the fifth post in this thread: http://www.e36-tech.com/forum/subframe-bushings-are-so-easy-update-4295.html .

I still have to do the RTABS, but I'm waiting on parts. Thanks for everyones help here.

Great to hear!

I burned mine out and drilled/cut them. Had to get someone to push the new ones in for me. Next time, I'm going to be a little more industrious and make a tool to push them in and out.