5 Point Harness Question

pcdrj

I have Corbeau seats mounted on sliders. Can I attach the "anti-sub" belt to the slider frame? I know the belt should not be mounted directly to the seat but the slider is not mentioned and CCR 15.5 doesn't really specify.

what do the harness installation instructions say? I doubt that it is acceptable to mount the sub strap to the slider - what if the slider gives out in a crash?

Aardwolf, just drill a hole in the floor in put a big grade 5 eye bolt through it with backing plates (or large washers) on either side of the floor pan.

and, unless it is an FIA approved slider, and the seat manufacturer says it is ok to use a slider, you will have to use a seat back brace even if the seat is brand new.

thanks

bruce

I don't think the sub belt should be attached to the slider. I have the belt bolted to the floor in my race car. In my track car I have the belt bolted to a fabricated seat mount which is under the slider mechanism. This is 1/8 inch steel and bolted at 4 points to the floor pan. My soft bits and pelvis will get squished though the belts before this thing lets go. If you have a Sparco type mount under the slider then bolting directly to this may be adequate. I believe the instructions indicate the belt should be bolted to the floor between directly below and 20 degrees behind the hole in the seat.

I'm thinking the OP has the same bracket type as mine. The belt doesn't attach to the slider, it attaches to the seat bracket frame that bolts onto the car pan. The sliders bolt onto that and the seat onto the slider. Forward of the bracket is all fiberglass on my car. I took a picture when I was test fitting the bracket.

DSCF1721.jpg

The sliders go onto the studs sticking up. The sub belt I put around the frame bracket right in the middle.

leggwork is right. Do not mount the sub-strap (or any part of the harness) to the seat or seat mounting. Follow the manufacturers instructions. The harness mounts to the chassis or cage (which is mounted to the chassis). The aluminum seat manufacturer, ISP, says you can mount the sub-strap to the bottom of their seat as long as that mounting are is re-inforced.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

According to the instruction you should not mount the harness directly to the seat. But the bottom half of slider frame is bolted to the chassis and is not part of the seat. Steeda has a bracket that uses the two front seat mounting bolt locations. Mounting to the slider bracket would be similar to using the Steeda setup.

http://www.steeda.com/products/front-submarine-race-belt-mounting-bracket.php

Experts please chime in.

Mounting the sub-strap to the seat mounting or to products such as this, and there are several available, is not a good mounting practice. This is too far forward from the torso. The mounting point of the sub-strap should be slightly behind your sternum (or in-line with your sternum, don't have instructions with me on road right now). Don't really need to be an expert, you just need to read the instructions included with your harness. Actually a 6-point systems does a better job of restraining you.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

my first reaction is that this is a very wimpy looking mount - those look like 1/8" studs that the slider is supposed to attach to. Was this sold as a race mount? Please consider the tremendous forces that are put on this in an accident.

bruce

I'm thinking the OP has the same bracket type as mine. The belt doesn't attach to the slider, it attaches to the seat bracket frame that bolts onto the car pan. The sliders bolt onto that and the seat onto the slider. Forward of the bracket is all fiberglass on my car. I took a picture when I was test fitting the bracket.

DSCF1721.jpg

The sliders go onto the studs sticking up. The sub belt I put around the frame bracket right in the middle.

think bigger and stronger (w/ reinforcing plates) than stock

The mount is much strong then the car's sheet metal. The studs are the same size for the slider as the stock seat mounts.

I don't know where the front two seat mounting bolts are relative to the hole for the sub belt in the seat in that car - as others have stated, the sub belt mount needs to be behind the sub hole - not straight down or forward of it.

bruce

According to the instruction you should not mount the harness directly to the seat. But the bottom half of slider frame is bolted to the chassis and is not part of the seat. Steeda has a bracket that uses the two front seat mounting bolt locations. Mounting to the slider bracket would be similar to using the Steeda setup.

http://www.steeda.com/products/front-submarine-race-belt-mounting-bracket.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Experts please chime in.