Piercemotorsports to prepare Ferrari F430 for Daytona

JPierce

I cant lay it back like I do in the 996's and 997's where I bend the middle of the hoop off plane to lay it back---they want all the bends on the same plane. Since it's a mid-engine and aluminum frame with fuel cells where the kickers would normally terminate, the kickers are going to be very close to vertical to keep them in the drivers area/bulkhead (which means it's getting a pettybar) so the more upright I can make it, the better/more angle I can get on the kickers...It's kind of a give and take and while most shops seem to take months, this cage/car will be off to the body shop midweek...

Edited by Guest

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JPierce

• richard migliori

• wlfpkrcn1

• Drftwizard

I'll have to check the post time since my last one, but I just did my personal best time on the "X" and gusset's . It's Sunday 12 noon---I'm going home early today!!! On a side note---can I get a real quick check from the Fabricators out there---am I gonna' go to hell for Mig welding the cage in a Ferrari??!!...

DSC02044.jpg

It's tricky with the mid-engine car/rear bulkhead...We moved the "X" up higher in the car to allow access to the engine hatch, and with the bulkhead we can't get a great angle on the kickers so they get moved down. The harness bar is actually going to go through the rear kickers and then turn back into the X!

DSC02045.jpg

This is a car we're building in the other bay at the same time---sure like to be able to do that cage in this car, but it won't fit!!! What a pain...

DSC02046.jpg

Ok-back half is done except for welding/ drilling out holes in the harness bar to weld in some threaded sleeves for eyebolts. We made a diagonal, but it's pretty redundant so we'll see...

DSC02048.jpg

DSC02049.jpg

Slowly but surely---we got harness mount threaded sleeves welded in the cage (2 hours worth of work!)

DSC02050.jpg

We're removing the single airjack that ferrari uses (bolts to the nosecone of the transmission and destroys said trans when car goes offtrack and the jack hits the ground!) and going to two airjacks at a safer location---using the daytona prototype airjacks (the teams spares...)

DSC02051.jpg

The front airjacks are bolted to the weak aluminum box section in the front and flex nearly 1/2" when used so we made a brace to add some support...

DSC02052.jpg

The engine cover is accessed through the rear firewall cover located inside the car. Whenever anyone needs to work on the front of the engine they inevitably end up crushing the center console with their knees. We've built some support under there!!! It really is the little things...

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02054.jpg

Busy day---we got two boxster specs in for cages and what not---but we kick those things out like pizza so it wont effect the Rolex car...

DSC02061.jpg

We did get the a-pillars/roof spreader and a roof diagonal fit in the car though---hopefully more pics/progress tomorrow.

DSC02060.jpg

Yeah I've got an ST class car the #86 Royal Purple Prey racing Boxster and I think an SRT that may show up tomorrow---in GS I've got a handful of 997's that I did small things for...This Ferrari should test next week at Fontana and then get bodywork/wrapped/transported to Daytona...

Pettybar and support---starting to look like a cage. After we finish the sleeves it's time to pull it all apart, finish welding the areas we couldn't get to---paint everything and re-install so we can finish up the doorbars---once it's installed you'll need a sawzall and an allen wrench to get the cage out!!!

DSC02062.jpg

Painted and re-assembled back in the car---now we start the door bars/dash bar and then we'll paint/touch-up what's left. We used red on the back portion of the cage---because the owner wanted it---but put semi-flat black out the front of the car because I can't stand glare/distractions. The door bars we'll be T183 semi metallic gun metal gray (my favorite) which makes the welds pop!

DSC02068.jpg

Thanks Tom---aren't you supposed to be at Daytona today with a Cobalt?? I mentioned the brakes/hubs were getting changed for legal parts in the beginning of the thread, but thanks for reminding me--- I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached right now!

This here's' your basic Ferrari F430 rear crash bar/airjack relocation kit with integrated wing supports/hood pin mounts/quick release rear bumper provisions---should be able to find it at Kragen/Pep Boys in about a month, special order of course, for $3995 unpainted and about $35 more painted...Of course you can pre-order them directly from us for a substantial discount...

DSC02075.jpg

Almost done now---the back sections are painted and installed...tomorrow we weld up nascar bars, paint them and touch up the interior, install the aluminum rear bulkhead/window and then it's off to get body work for 3 days---then back here for headers/exhaust/flatbottom---then wrapped, tuned, then suspension/brakes get swapped---then testing at Cal Speedway---then finally off to Daytona...holy smokes!!!!!

DSC02076.jpg