Air intake

Scany

I was looking at the vendor's website mentioned in the spec book to get the air intake to replace the drivers side headlamp, but couldn't see it listed. Is it a part I need to call them to get?

• Members

Yes, the best way to order (and possible the only way) the air intake is to call Bimmerparts. In general, when ordering from them, it would appear to be the best way so that you can identify yourself as a Spec 3 competitor and receive the best possible pricing and service.

Thanks,

Jon

• 6 months later...

Sat on hold with Bimmerparts for 10 minutes, but once I got to talk it was super quick. Even the part came in the next day. Great!!

One question: the scoop and the airbox, are we somehow connecting the two?

Here's a picture of it mounted:

38490_426273313408_621403408_4747408_4765503_n.jpg

• Members

You can connect the two if you wish, some have, some have not; it is purely personal preference. Just make sure you do not modify the stock airbox.

Just installed air intake. It isn't the best-fitting part I've put on the car, thats for sure.

I'm still trying to figure out how to support the turn signal housing. Ideas?

Just installed air intake. It isn't the best-fitting part I've put on the car, thats for sure.

I'm still trying to figure out how to support the turn signal housing. Ideas?

I agree, I heard it complain a bit when I forced it some. I chopped the headlight backing and used it for the indicator light. Seems to work so far. We'll see how it holds up on track.

Got myself a traffic cone and will try to fit that next.

I considered doing that - did you retain both lower mouning points or just the one by the turn signal?

Given that the air intake is rather floppy on the bottom, I was thinking of mounting the bottom to the headlight backing for support.

I considered doing that - did you retain both lower mouning points or just the one by the turn signal?

Given that the air intake is rather floppy on the bottom, I was thinking of mounting the bottom to the headlight backing for support.

I just kept the one by the turn signal. I drilled a hole and used zip tie to keep the bottom in with some duct tape. Using the headlight bracket, if possible (I didn't think of that ), would probably be better.

I just have this thing about cutting up perfectly good stock components.

I'll take some pictures when I'm finished with the hacking/mounting/rigging.

I just have this thing about cutting up perfectly good stock components.

I'll take some pictures when I'm finished with the hacking/mounting/rigging.

I fell ya. I imagined I could get a used headlight assembly for $20 on eBay made me feel better.

I cut my bracket up, just leaving the top and bottom points to keep the turn signal in.

The top mounting point is in a V...I tried to carefully cut the V parts off so that the cover would go flush, but it snapped through. I had to leave part of the V on there. The cover sticks out about a have a centimeter on the turn signal side. Not perfect but works for this amateur DIY noob

I keep "hunting" for stray traffic cones..

• 4 months later...
You can connect the two if you wish, some have, some have not; it is purely personal preference. Just make sure you do not modify the stock airbox.

I just received my intake and checked out this thread.

What is the point of the intake if it is optional to connect it to the air box, which can't be modified?

Does this thing actually serve a purpose, like improve airflow into the engine, or is it just appearance?

• 2 months later...
Anyone have a picture of their intake-to-airbox device? Thanks!

Mine ain't pretty enough for a picture, and I'm debating a different solution than my traffic cone. Maybe something with mesh, and maybe a 3" hose to just stick into the airbox. It won't fill the airbox hole, but should provide enough fresh air to the engine that it won't suck in hot air from the engine bay. Also see the thread about green filter for issues with debris and talk of what Jon is doing

Anyone have a picture of their intake-to-airbox device? Thanks!

Took some pictures this weekend as I was to fit a 3" tube instead, but decided to keep the cone. I'll upload later.

Later...

Here's some pics:

cone.jpg

cone2.jpg

scoop.jpg

Are we allowed to de-baffle the air box?

I don't think we're allowed to modify in any way. Something to consider is water getting into the box. That's why I settled with the "loose" fit of my traffic cone

I made a cardboard template that is a 3" circle on one end, and whatever shape on the airbox end. Took some trimming and fitting to getit right. Then I picked up thin sheet metal and traced the template, band-saw, some zip ties, and VOILA! Eet eez beautiful!

Are we allowed to de-baffle the air box?

I don't think we're allowed to modify in any way. Something to consider is water getting into the box. That's why I settled with the "loose" fit of my traffic cone

Interesting, my intake looks like this on the inside:

6aa9784f.jpg

Removing the "baffle" or "silencer" was a common auto-x cheat in Stock class when the E36 325is was semi-competitive in the late 90's. But it was easy to tell from the sound of the car, and also easy to check via a protest. But is was claimed to make a measurable horsepower difference.

So when I read the Spec3 rules about no mods are allowed to the airbox, I assumed this is what it was referring to.

The silencer doesn't appear in realoem...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BF33&mospid=47484&btnr=13_0370&hg=13&fg=20

Hmmm

Interesting!

Does it disconnect, or would you have to cut it out? Is there a way for me to see if someone removed it in my box? What's your build date Matt?

Interesting!

Does it disconnect, or would you have to cut it out? Is there a way for me to see if someone removed it in my box? What's your build date Matt?

I am fairly certain it can be disconnected, but I don't know exactly how it is held in place. I have never bothered to look at it in detail, but I might now.

My build date is 1/94.

Be interesting to know if it is legal or not to remove it (Jon ?)