Air intake

Scany

Would not be legal to remove, UNLESS we determine that it was not installed on all vehicles.

I did some research yesterday, and it seems like it is NOT on all vehicles. It was also not installed in europe, and seemingly it was added in the US to reduce intake noises after customers complained. It seems to be an insert that clicks into the box, so not a part of the box itself.

• Members
Would not be legal to remove, UNLESS we determine that it was not installed on all vehicles.

I did some research yesterday, and it seems like it is NOT on all vehicles. It was also not installed in europe, and seemingly it was added in the US to reduce intake noises after customers complained. It seems to be an insert that clicks into the box, so not a part of the box itself.

Anders,

How did you determine that it is not on all US cars?

Thank you for researching this issue.

Jon

Anders,

How did you determine that it is not on all US cars?

Thank you for researching this issue.

Jon

Well, it's not scientific, but based on accounts on forums, mainly bimmerforums.com, people have reported having it and not having it. There's a possibility that all came with it, and some just had it removed. But the parts list does not show this part for the E36. So if it is mandated to have it in Spec3, I don't know where and how to buy it (I haven't called BMW). I think we should be able to determine when (if this is the case) they put it in by logging prod dates. I did read about '92 and '94 models having the baffle, but let's ignore that for now. If you all can tell us if you have the baffle or not, that would be great help.

Airbox baffle w/prod. date:

Anders - 325is - 12/92 - no

Matt - 325is - 1/94 - yes

Peter - 325is - 9/92 - no

I also notice Matt has a different front bumper than me. It might be later models that received the baffle. Maybe a call to BMW NA is the easiest way..

A link showing the modification in question:

http://www.chuckbrazeau.com/airbox.htm

Edited by Guest

Just to throw a twist in this as I haven't checked mine either. The originial build dates were for the 93 - 95 Vanos M50s. Were the 92 build years running the earlier M50 w/o Vanos and you guys swapped in engines from 93 - 95?

Just thinking as the two cars without them had build years in 1992. If you guys swapped to the 93/95 models, did you take the airbox with you?

Just to throw a twist in this as I haven't checked mine either. The originial build dates were for the 93 - 95 Vanos M50s. Were the 92 build years running the earlier M50 w/o Vanos and you guys swapped in engines from 93 - 95?

Just thinking as the two cars without them had build years in 1992. If you guys swapped to the 93/95 models, did you take the airbox with you?

They are '93 models w/VANOS, just the build date that's '92. I believe BMW starts their model year in August the year before.

• 1 month later...

How do we go about resolving weather or not the intake snorkel can be removed?

Was the new chip tuned with cars with or without the snorkel?