Exhaust Install

matt325

This is a bit rediculous considering the issue is not new. I just tried to install my exhaust tonight and encountered the same problems as noted in January (12 months ago). We are building two cars and both exhausts are the same. To be fair, I haven't contacted them for a resolution yet, but to be fair, this shouldn't be that difficult to get the bend right. I'd be happy to supply them with a go....no-go fixture to test their work before shipping.

Spec3Build057.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm dragging both build cars up to Mitchum in Richmond VA tomorrow to try and help them get it right. The angle issue is the same on both cars, but the exhaust tubing on both cars is different. One is round and fits the Mitchum exhaust (other than the angle), the other is oblong (flattish) and doesn't fit the Mitchum exhaust (plus the angle issue). Hopefully having different exhaust examples will help clear this up for the next guy(s). The bad news, I know there are at least two variations of exhaust on these cars. I'll post pics when I can.

Okay, I hauled both cars to Mitchum. My 94 328is displayed the angle issue. They pulled a second exhaust pipe from stock and it was the same. They put it on a pipe bender and put a second bend just past the bend. No great pictures now (lousy photographer ). This is all I have (you can kind of see the second bend here:

Picture062.jpg

The second car was a 93 325is and the exhaust at the Y is different than mine. The transition on their exhaust fits my Y other than the angle. On the second car the Y is a bigger diameter (the transition almost fits inside the Y). It basically is the same size as the tube without the transition. They ended up expanding it a little and fitting it over the exhaust and giving it a little weld. The angle on this was correct just the pipes were different.

The end result is they now understand there are a few variations of exhaust setups on these cars. The key reason I spent $150+ in gas and 7 hours of my time driving up and back US95 to make this trip instead of the $50 it would take to fix it locally was to help them fix their process. I think Mitchum has the info they need to get this right for the next guys. Their problem... there are several types of exhaust