Bent exhaust valves

Scany

Hoping for March but it's going to be hard. My parents are visiting between now and then, and getting my dad to help won't work. But I'll give it a fair shot. Also need a new trailer by that time.

The rebuild ended up at around 800. Changed all exhaust valves and some broken retainers plus some other parts Im not sure what's called right now.

Wife will be back Saturday from 2 weeks away. Then I can get some serious garage time

If you need some help, let us locals know if we can lend a hand.

Also, what kind of trailer are you looking for? Options, price range, how far away, etc?

Thanks for the help offer. I will keep it in mind. Right now the exhaust manifold studs are giving me a major pain. 2 more to go and they are broken off and stuck. Already had to drill out one with ok results, but I'm afraid of the treads getting worn out. Getting some reverse tread drill bits for the remaining two.

Might bring back the E30 318iS for the first couple of events. Maybe give it some new wheels and a few more upgrades so I won't be too slow for HPDE3.

I've been looking at a new Haulmark Race trailer 24' enclosed in black, up to $10k. Also saw another brand in gaithersburg, MD? on eBay that seemed good. I have yet to look at one in person. i want to be able to use the roof, have AC and electric hookup. We want to use it to sleep in at the track. Thinking about some solutions to make that work. I can go far to get one. Counting on storing it at a storage place in Lorton, VA.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scany

• VaTechM3

• Jon M.

• dbgeek

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Hoping for March but it's going to be hard. My parents are visiting between now and then, and getting my dad to help won't work. But I'll give it a fair shot. Also need a new trailer by that time.

The rebuild ended up at around 800. Changed all exhaust valves and some broken retainers plus some other parts Im not sure what's called right now.

Wife will be back Saturday from 2 weeks away. Then I can get some serious garage time

If you need some help, let us locals know if we can lend a hand.

Also, what kind of trailer are you looking for? Options, price range, how far away, etc?

I've been looking at a new Haulmark Race trailer 24' enclosed in black, up to $10k. Also saw another brand in gaithersburg, MD? on eBay that seemed good. I have yet to look at one in person. i want to be able to use the roof, have AC and electric hookup. We want to use it to sleep in at the track. Thinking about some solutions to make that work. I can go far to get one. Counting on storing it at a storage place in Lorton, VA.

When you say you want to be able to use the roof??? To stand on, or just prewired and reinforced for A/C and heat?

Just so you know, what you have described about will weigh in around 4700lbs, so you had better have a serious (diesel) tow vehicle ready to go.

www.racingjunk.com for used trailer.

www.superior-trailer.com for new trailers (call the N.C. shop and ask for Tim Spears, tell him I sent you). I would estimate that 15-20 of us BMW racers have used and continue to use Tim for our trailers. You cannot beat his service or prices, especially if you find one in inventory (as opposed to having to build one).

If you need any help with this process, let me know; I done it about a dozen times (friends) at this point.

J

Craig is buying me out on our existing trailer and taking it to FL.

I know everyone pulling close to 10k lbs is using big rigs and all. I'm keeping it within the limits of my F150's 9500lbs capacity. I don't need to go fast or have a feeling of pulling "nothing". As long as I'm safe I can take my time. I don't plan on changing my truck.

The roof was for AC, storage and possibly spectating.

Thanks for the input Jon. I'll see if I can run it by you when I get close to making a decision.

if you're doing an enclosed with a half-ton truck, better make it a minimal one... I'd want more leftover tow rating than you're going to have honestly.

I'm in the same boat and actually sticking with an open for a while longer

• Members
I'm keeping it within the limits of my F150's 9500lbs capacity. I don't need to go fast or have a feeling of pulling "nothing". As long as I'm safe I can take my time. I don't plan on changing my truck.

This season I'm using a 2008 Tundra 4x2, 10,100 towing limit. I ran it for the first time last weekend.

Some FYI's:

1. I upgraded the tires to XL load rated ones, it makes a difference compared to last season's P-rated tires (which are standard on all of these trucks) on my Yukon.

2. I will be upgrading the brake pads to Hawk LTS's prior to the MArch tow.

3. My trailer only weighs 7000lbs with everything in it, 24ft enclosed Pace and I would not want to go any heavier (keep in mind, I have the upgraded 5200lb axles).

Best of luck.

if you're doing an enclosed with a half-ton truck, better make it a minimal one... I'd want more leftover tow rating than you're going to have honestly.

I'd want more too, but I don't really see it being completely necessary as long I'm within the rated limits. It seems like an enclosed will add 2500lbs to my open 18'. Drag and roll another story, but I'm mostly concerned with stopping, not going as much.

• Members

I'd want more too, but I don't really see it being completely necessary as long I'm within the rated limits. It seems like an enclosed will add 2500lbs to my open 18'. Drag and roll another story, but I'm mostly concerned with stopping, not going as much.

Completely agree, it was never the going part with my Yukon ('08 with 6.2L 400hp) that was the problem. The stopping and turning (especially in avoidance situations) were the white knuckle scenarios.

I forgot to mention that with my Yukon and Tundra I use a W-D and Anti-Sway hitch. I opted for the slightly less expensive Equalizer product. I used it last season and now will be this one with much success and appreciation. Additionally, I added an additional leaf spring (less than an hour to install and only $100 to buy) from Hellwig Products. So at this point in time the truck has upgraded tires, brakes, hitch, and rear suspension. I would highly recommend the same. Maybe I behave in an overkill manner, but the fact is that I've towed with two different diesels 2500 trucks ('00 F-250 and '06 Sierra) and even with all of these upgrades, it is still no where near as good as those two. I guess I'm just trying to make the gassers as close to the previous trucks as I can.

Finally got all the exhaust manifold studs (6) off. I ended up having to drill out 3 and then use a tap to get it all out. I've broken so many easy out bits, drill bits and even a tap. Could never have done it without a 10mm 150 tap. Seems like the tapped holes are in decent shape to take on new studs.

Time to clean up the block for the head and replace the VANOS seal. Hopefully all the PITA work is done. Moving along..

VANOS done with new Beisan System o-rings, new knock sensors installed, transmission cleaned up a little (skipping trans out/in seals), and hopefully tomorrow I'll be ready to put the head back on the block. Just have to clean up the bolt holes and get the wife to help guide the chain through. I hope I'll get the timing and VANOS back in good shape. That's my biggest worry at the moment.

I might send the car off for a cage on the 10th of this month. If all goes well I should be ready for VIR, but I'm too afraid to register yet.

If anyone feel like giving a hand I could very much need it on Sunday. I know it's part of the weekend and helping a crazy Norwegian fix his mistake is not everyone's idea of fun. But despite this, should anyone want to lend a hand I'll be working most of the day with the car trying to get it ready and running. Food and drink is all can offer in return

• Members
VANOS done with new Beisan System o-rings, new knock sensors installed, transmission cleaned up a little (skipping trans out/in seals), and hopefully tomorrow I'll be ready to put the head back on the block. Just have to clean up the bolt holes and get the wife to help guide the chain through. I hope I'll get the timing and VANOS back in good shape. That's my biggest worry at the moment.

I might send the car off for a cage on the 10th of this month. If all goes well I should be ready for VIR, but I'm too afraid to register yet.

If anyone feel like giving a hand I could very much need it on Sunday. I know it's part of the weekend and helping a crazy Norwegian fix his mistake is not everyone's idea of fun. But despite this, should anyone want to lend a hand I'll be working most of the day with the car trying to get it ready and running. Food and drink is all can offer in return

email or PM me your cell, I will try to make it over for a couple hours on Sunday, have a brunch and a dinner, but there is time in between.

Best of luck, great to hear about the progress and possibility of a cage before the March event.

Head and timing is done. Hopefully correct Clutch and tranny next and then set the engine into the car.

Seems like I won't have time for the cage before next event, but will certainly have it for April if nothing else pops up.

Sending you a PM Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, no problem reg. Sunday. Hope you didn't suffer too much.

Does anyone have any good pictures of the OEM wire layout under the intake manifold? I'm struggling a bit with the cam and crank sensor wires.

Got the shifter, driveline, new slave, and exhaust back on the car tonight and things are moving along. However, there are alot of room for failure when I put everything together so I hope when I try to start it that it will run, and when I roll it out of the garage I don't have any vibrations or a big baraboom. Time will show!

As posted elsewhere I won't make it to VIR either but I am scheduled to have a full cage, seat. harness and firesystem installed in the car next Monday My E30 318 is back in the area but we are looking to get a vacation home near Summit Point and the decision was made to not put money in it yet to run at VIR. I should if all goes well be at SP in April with a fresh car. Celebrations will be made if I get through Saturday unharmed

Next: wiring, intake manifold, fuel lines, injectors and rail, intake, radiator and cooling system, front bumper and wheels..

Anders, looks like you only have a few hours of work left on the car! That is great to hear! I'm glad you're getting it all back together and it hasn't seemed like a too terrible ordeal, just time consuming and expensive haha.

My car will be going in for a full cage after the summit point event and is to be completed before June's Hyperfest. I'm thinking I will still run TT depending on how I am performing and go for a comp school at a later date. I need to get the exhaust, intake, a better fire supression system, and a few safety things before I'll be ready to bring it!

Looking forward to seeing you again in April!

Last night I got all the stuff back on the engine and put the front back on. All I got left now is a few coolant hoses to connect, fill up the oil and coolant, connect the headlights and put the front bumper back on. I have a weird feeling I forgot something. I wish I would have documented everything when I disassembled, but that takes way too long. I'll just do everything and then stare at it for an hour or two while drinking beer. Maybe it'll come to me if I forgot something. Man! I can't wait to hear it start up again!

Woohoo! That is awesome! I think you might want to stand there and bask in the feeling of accomplishment while you drink beers and list to the car idle perfectly after you get it all topped off.

Don't forget to bleed the coolant real good!!

Can't wait to mix it up in April. Come do TT with meeeeee!!

Woohoo! That is awesome! I think you might want to stand there and bask in the feeling of accomplishment while you drink beers and list to the car idle perfectly after you get it all topped off.

Don't forget to bleed the coolant real good!!

Can't wait to mix it up in April. Come do TT with meeeeee!!

I'm definitely ready to hit the track soon. We'll see if I try to sign up for TT at SP, or just HPDE3 to see if the car holds up on track. I'll be joining you as quickly as I can, and it'll be sweet to finally get going. How fast it'll be who knows. But it shall be great fun!

If it only clicks, or sounds awful when I try to start it up I will cry like a little girl

Don't forget to plug the ECU back in. I forgot to do that after we finished welding and replaced the gas tank and lines. Went to start it and it didn't do anything...it was very sad. Then we realized a huge connector sitting in the engine compartment that probably needed to be connected...

Fired right up with only the heads on. it was glorious!

GL and see you in April for sure!

IT'S ALIVE!!!

...though with some unwanted ticking from the underside. Doesn't seem like the valves, but more from the flywheel area. Any ideas? I so hope the transmission don't have to go back out.

I think it's best to have it towed to Piper on Monday and not drive it.

But it started and runs, other than the ticking, very well

You all have fun at VIR this weekend ( )

PS

And we just got a vacation house in Winchester today yay!

Here's a video of the ticking:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like the ticking was a result of a dry lifter. Solved itself after some running.

Took alot of stuff out of the interior yesterday. I was surprised how much stuff they put in the car. The car is now at Piper for a full cage ++. I can't wait to see it finally become a real racecar The money shift is now officially behind me and the car is in better state than ever (in my hands that is). I think I'll get myself a spare engine for next time

Thanks to you all for the support and help! I have learned a lot so far. In conclusion I think pulling the engine and tranny together works well. Take pictures! More than I thought was necessary. Sourcing a used engine might be a better choice financially, or try to rebuild the head yourself (which I'll do next).

Thats awesome! I know it was a long process but it is back together and better than before so you should feel great about that for sure!

I'm going to start looking for a spare engine as well, although I should find a place to store it first I think, in case something happens to mine. I'd want to rebuild it, but I've never done that before much less, pull an engine out...

Pretty soon we'll both be out once again tearing it up!

Heaven help us!

• Members
Pretty soon we'll both be out once again tearing it up!

Heaven help us!

Soon you two will be tearing it up in the Autobahn run group; this is when everyone will need to pray.