Cages

dbgeek

Gents,

I have comitted to a cage and am wondering if anyone is willing to post pictures of their cage. I am specifically interested in the front down-bars and dash bar location. I would like to keep the heater/defroster and blower for those chilly mornings.

Thanks,

Peter

• Members

Morning guys,

Congrats on getting to the cage installation point. I know that everyone is looking forward to having some new faces and cars in the pack this season. Also, Peter congrats on the upcoming new son/daughter. All the best with that process.

As for the cage question, this exact question with tons of photos has been discussed many times within the Bimmerforums Track section. I have found that the photos and feedback provided there has been invaluable.

Here is an example: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1321973&highlight=cage

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251495&highlight=cage

Best of luck with the builds. Keep us all up to date on the process.

Jon

I purchased my car already built, and don't really know if this is the "correct way" to build a cage. But here are shots of my car...

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t204/laze1one/race%20cars/roll%20cage/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some things I dislike in my car/cage;

1. can't move seat back enough, or tilt enough due to cage structure

2. My left elbow hits the side impact bars

3. my head/helmet hits the top left bar ALL THE TIME! maybe 1' away from my head.

4. the safety net is almost impossible to latch by the driver in the car

• 4 weeks later...

I found and fixed my ABS issue.

- ABS light wasn't on, so why doesn't ABS work?

- The ABS fault light was removed from the dash cluster. When replaced, it lights as soon as the key turns on.

- Left front sensor was showing open circuit. Replaced it - the light goes out!

Fantastic

The car is headed to Chris Schimmel of Competition Cages on Monday or Tuesday.

www.competitioncages.com

Prep work for the cage is almost complete. Removed window regulators, radio wiring, and sunroof cassette. Installing window supports and seat this weekend. If I have spare time, I get to pull the dash.

Attempting to hit comp school in March; if my 8-months-pregnant wife lets me, of course Drop dead date is July '10 @ VIR

• 1 month later...

The cage is complete and the car is home. Chris did an excellent job and it cost LESS than his original estimate (which was very reasonable anyway)! You can't even see the dash bar, but it allows use of the windshield vents.

Chris Schimmel

www.competitioncages.com

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

1004.jpg

1005.jpg

I'm currently begging the wife. She happens to be rather pregnant right now and doesn't want me to leave her for the weekend.

I'm currently begging the wife. She happens to be rather pregnant right now and doesn't want me to leave her for the weekend.

good luck to both of you!!

Hope you can make it Pete! I've got a cage going into my car as I post this. Should have some pics of how it's coming along in the next day or so.

That's an I/O Port brace. I got it free with my used Spec Miata seats! It looked like a good piece so I picked up a second for the passenger side.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Piper today and went through the seat fitting and the cage. As I get pictures of the cage being built I'll share them. Should be done in a week or so.

25453_392225448408_621403408_3888180_1124447_n.jpg

You need to talk them into letting your ride in that e30 behind you.

Nothing special...just the only e30 with the v10 M5 engine stuffed in it with all electronics and integrated roll cage.

You totally need to check that out for sure!

What cost are you looking at for the piper cage if you don't mind me asking?

You need to talk them into letting your ride in that e30 behind you.

Nothing special...just the only e30 with the v10 M5 engine stuffed in it with all electronics and integrated roll cage.

You totally need to check that out for sure!

What cost are you looking at for the piper cage if you don't mind me asking?

The deal is if they are not ready by April 16 I'll take Frankenstein out don't think so.. But it's an awesome car worthy being the background of mine though covered up.

I'm doing so much other stuff so it's a bit hard to tell exactly what just the cage runs me. I go with Piper because they have done great stuff for me before and they are extremely helpful and skilled. Their hourly rate is competitive. I can't wait to see it all done

I got to sit in it about a year ago when Piper was putting in my roll bar. I also got to see it testing on the the street....it sounding and looked great.

The paint job is phenomenal...the paint is so deep that it looks like a pool of mercury. The integrated roll cage is genius.

Piper does nice work, I agree. Nice people, too.