2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI not classified in Time Trials?

CWeber

I dunno if its the same car but in UK my mate had a 1.9 TDI golf with a remap or something and it hauled ass!

it would get 37+mpg on the highway as well

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CWeber

• kbrew8991

• obzezzed350

• getfast

My mom has a 2002 1.9 TDI (100% stock) and gets 48mpg highway so that would make sense getting 37mpg with some sort of 'remap' of the ecu to get more power...

With the comment on "have you looked at TDI Cup",

I did so some quick searching about the TDI cup cars and they are 170hp (not 140hp of the 2010 street golf TDI) with modified suspension and use 245 Pirelli race slicks. The car is only slightly modified from stock with Pirelli racing tires, race suspension and brake components, drivers racing safety seat, FIA roll cage and an on-board fire extinguisher system. Full specs here:

TDI CUP Specs:

Engine capacity: 1968cc, 4 valves per cyl., 170HP, 258 ft-lbs tq @ 1900-2500 rpm.

Fuel: Hyperfuels SynDiesel B5 Biofuel

Brakes: Fronts\\ 4-piston fixed-caliper disc brakes, internally ventilated, 356mm (14")

Rears\\ Single-piston floating-caliper disc brake, 255mm (10")

Wheels: 18x8.5" light alloy rims

Tires: Pirelli 245/645-18" slick and rain tires

Curb weight: 1,290kg (2,844 lbs)

Autobahn South is local to me and best lap time there from the 2009 race is Timmy Megenbier/Melrose Park/IL/Chicagoland VW/ 1:44.942/84.355* The current record in TTE (with our own 140hp g20 on 225 rcompound hoosers on 7" wide rims) is 1:43.077. IF we could have stuffed 245 race slicks instead (or even 225 race slicks instead of rcompounds), I suspect we could have done better lap times too! ...lol

I honestly was expecting faster lap times on autobahn south to be honest from the TDI Cup car based comment made earlier. ...go figure! Well, at least it is good to know going into this that it isn't exactly going to be very fast with stock 140hp, 205 or 225 rcompounds and stock suspension.

You were doing so good before. We don't care what it is stock, even if thats how you're going to race it. We do care what it'll be like with free mods... which it very well should be VERY responsive to.

The quip about the TDI Cup cars was to illustrate that these aren't as much of a slow useless econobox as you're trying to insinuate

regarding the VIR comment.. I have never run VIR so I have no input there. BUT if a current TDI Cup car ran in TimeTrials, I suspect it could easily be put in TTD with the points it would have to take for 245 wide tires AND being race slicks (then factor in the brake and suspension points as well)

I haven't looked recently at the 'points' sheet but isn't RACE slick alone around 30 points?

I haven't run the points on one, and the VIR comment was merely a comparison to your statement about TTE times at Autobahn.

At VIR specifically... the TDI Cup record is 2:13.5. That would shatter the current NASA-MA TTD record by several seconds and give more than a few TTC/TTB cars a run for their money.

Point is, TDI's ain't slow.

reports are that a fresh set of Hoosier Rs (+10) or Hoosier As (+13) are just as fast

whose reports?

I'd believe that when I saw it in person or read the 'back to back' reports. Or do you have links to give me with someone already doing this exact type of test? (same car, same wheels, same width tires, same driver, same track conditions)?

enlighten me!

I haven't run the points on one, and the VIR comment was merely a comparison to your statement about TTE times at Autobahn.

At VIR specifically... the TDI Cup record is 2:13.5. That would shatter the current NASA-MA TTD record by several seconds and give more than a few TTC/TTB cars a run for their money.

Point is, TDI's ain't slow.

okay.. but my not participating in that region means I don't know the caliber of drivers in TTD because there have been days our g20 was faster than a TTC entered driver... it happens....

...and I found the Autobahn South times slower that I expected in comparison to what I know is the bottom line... ...mind you our TTE G20 is still slower than the lap record for a spec miata which is 1:42.258 at Autobahn South and the spec miata is faster at Grattan and Road America as well (from a lap record standpoint anyway)

I typically expect TTD cars to be faster than a spec miata or TTE obviously.

I just looked this up, a 2:13.5 at VIR would set the TTC lap record by 0.3sec. It is also 3.5sec faster than the TTD record, 5sec faster than the TTE record, and 7sec faster than the Spec Miata record.

Clearly there's quite a difference between a TDI Cup racecar and your stock Golf TDI, and true it's somewhat apples to oranges, but I stand by my point... it demonstrates that the TDI series of cars isn't slow with "only" 170hp or whatever.

Maybe they suffer more on Alan Wilson tracks like Autobahn South - with way more tight corners than VIR has

I'd love to see back-to-back road america tests of STOCK GTI, vs stock TDI vs. current config TDI CUP.. I suspect the TDI cup setup could win (just the 245 and slicks alone and the 170hp w/258 torque is damn close to the 200hp stock GTI which would be on 225 rcompounds cause 245s would rub) ..but my bet would be the stock 2010 TDI would be 3rd/last place. ...now if you want to talk 'free' ECU mods, then the turbo GTI gets the same 'free' ECU mod and can output easily 240hp instead. I just don't see the TDI as capable ECU mod to ECU mod compared to the GTI is all (since the GTI is also a turbo 4cyl forced induction car) is all I'm saying....

which would be a good thing..... ..and why I said I just don't see the GTI and TDI in the same class in the first place... 0-60 times alone AND the fact that they are both Turbo cars, etc.

cough

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cough

:lol::x

That was very cool. He did a great job in that video... Plus, now I hate AJ a little less for beating me in the rain in '08 at Mid Ohio.

fun video but I can only wonder how much was 'staged' vs. real/actual and I'd love to see the same driver do laps in both back-to-back for more 'realistic' numbers (without staging anything for 'show')

fun video but I can only wonder how much was 'staged' vs. real/actual and I'd love to see the same driver do laps in both back-to-back for more 'realistic' numbers (without staging anything for 'show')

I'm just yanking your chain... laugh already!

That was race was super serious!

Its as serious and as equal as you can get, so this car definitely needs to be SUR base class then. Look how fast it is!! Watch out Vipers

Now you are just looking for trouble sir...

not the first time I've been accused of that, probably won't be the last despite my best efforts either