can anyone here comment about alternatives to Toyo RA1's?

TRM

i'm seriously contemplating a set for my track rims this year...but i'm put off by the price. this is exclusively for HPDEs. i don't auto-x.

i've heard nothing but great things about the RA1's - they should be exactly what i need this year for a set of dedicated track rims/tires.

i guess you get what you pay for these days. but does anyone have experience with comparable track tires like Kuhmo or Falken which will provide the same level of performance but at a less expensive price?

tia

IMO, Kuhmo Victoracers have better grip than the Toyos. But they don't last as long. Hoosier road race compounds are even stickier (and lighter) but last even less...

Falkens are a good alternative - they are cheap, provide reasonable grip and last pretty well. The problem with them is that they are only available in limited sizes.

Another guy and myself who have Mustangs have run the Nitto RII road racing radials, and they have been a good dedicated track tire as well. They have been cheaper than the RA-1's, and I get 6-8 track days out of a set.

I ran the Falkens in both 16" and 15" on my two Volvos (known for big understeer). About five track events and 10-15 auto-x's.

Several of my instructors said the car had pretty good grip.

the 15's are almost done. the 16' still looking good after 3 track days.

Figure a full season on a set -- I'd say 6 days at least.

I understand the new model is made to be even better in the rain.

Another guy and myself who have Mustangs have run the Nitto RII road racing radials, and they have been a good dedicated track tire as well. They have been cheaper than the RA-1's, and I get 6-8 track days out of a set.

I get 2x that much track time out of full tread RA1's.

--chad

I get 2x that much track time out of full tread RA1's.

--chad

Depends on your regular tracks. Mid-Ohio grooved the concrete this year, and BeaveRun north course, which is fairly new, has been hard on tires until recently. Nelson Ledges, with 90mph+ lap speeds and rough new pavement, is also pretty hard on tire wear. Gingerman and Putnam Park seem gentler on my tires.

It also depends on your driving style and how much you push the car.

Why use race tires for HPDE?

I think if you keep using street tires, you will learn to drive the car to the limit of the car and tires better. Race tires will give you better lap times, but they can also mislead you with their better lap times and high limits.

I suggest this as I have found I learn more when I am on bad tires, or there's an issue with my car and I am forced to be smooth or easy on the car, yet still go as fast as I can in a race.

What HPDE group do you run in? If you have been running in 3 or 4 for a while and are looking for additional speed, then I'd say RA1s, Hankooks and the Kumhos are all pretty good. I have run some enduros on Yoko Advans, and they are not as sticky as the ones I just mentioned, they seem like they will last longer.

Also, rotate the tires and slip them on the rim if one side starts to wear before the other.

To add to what Chad said, when you start running faster, you'll heat up your tires more - and street rubber can't take that, so you'll start chunking tires. A set of R-compounds over several track days is a LOT cheaper than buying a new set of street tires every 1-2 days of track time.

That said, stay with street tires until the speeds you drive at reach this point. You'll learn more since street tires provide more pronounced feedback.

To add to what Chad said, when you start running faster, you'll heat up your tires more - and street rubber can't take that, so you'll start chunking tires. A set of R-compounds over several track days is a LOT cheaper than buying a new set of street tires every 1-2 days of track time.

That said, stay with street tires until the speeds you drive at reach this point. You'll learn more since street tires provide more pronounced feedback.

That and 17" race tires are much cheaper than 18" street tires

--chad

True, true. I should have noted that unless you are tearing up street tires you probably don't need race tires

That being said race tires are a heck of a lot of fun to drive on when you swap over from street tires!

Any thoughts or opinionson the Hankooks? I happen to have a set of them, which I was going to use for some HPDE/lapping days? I also use them for my not so important autox days.

Rene

more grip that a Toyo.

I mean than, not that.

In my experience, as DOT competition tires go:

Grip, high to low: Kumho, Hankook, Toyo

Durability, high to low: Toyo, Hankook, Kumho

I'm not talking street tires here.

• 4 weeks later...

another good alternative are the dunlop super sport race tires.

they come only in limited sizes (some 17, mostly 18) but are super cheap. the 265/18 is only 130. this will probably make it cheaper than street rubber (almost half price compared to my S03).

http://www.tirerack.com

their wear and grip characteristics are pretty much like the RA1s. Ive heard they might be a little bit less grippy than RA1s, were talkin tenths, but becuase of their price, better.

enjoy

-heeltoer

more grip that a Toyo.

I mean than, not that.

In my experience, as DOT competition tires go:

Grip, high to low: Kumho, Hankook, Toyo

Durability, high to low: Toyo, Hankook, Kumho

I'm not talking street tires here.

It might be me, but I don't see many of you comparing the Nitto 555rII to those other tires. Or even the Avon or Yokomo comp tires. I know my dad and I have been running the Nitto's on our stangs (97 GT, and 03 Cobra) and they have been lasting pretty well. The traction is great too. Probably much better than I expected. Anyone else have feedback on them?

It might be me, but I don't see many of you comparing the Nitto 555rII to those other tires. Or even the Avon or Yokomo comp tires. I know my dad and I have been running the Nitto's on our stangs (97 GT, and 03 Cobra) and they have been lasting pretty well. The traction is great too. Probably much better than I expected. Anyone else have feedback on them?

Check the 3rd and 6th posts in this thread (page 1).

I know I saw you, but I haven't heard of anyone else running them or even comparing them. I'm just curious to see how they stack up in other areas. I know the tracks out here on the west coast are probably alot smoother, becuase we have 5 weekends on ours and they are barely showing any real wear.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to try the Michelin Pliot Sport Cups also once.

They cost more than the Toyo's, they do last longer and the only tire than has more grip is the Hoosier. They do take a full lap to get up to temperature though. They will remain more consistent when run on hot days for extended periods of time. They won't go off or get real greasy like the Kuhmos'. They should last several full weekends for HPDE use no problem and on lighter cars even longer. I have heard of 40-50 heat cycles when run correctly and rotated also..