Which way to learn faster?

danwendling

I just ordered a Callaway GS SC606 and am wondering about which way to learn HPDE/TT driving the fastest.

1. Use the car is stock form?

2. Upgrade the suspension (Eibach Coilovers) and some R888s?

PS> I mean learn the fastest not necessarily drive the fastest, could be the same but perhaps not.

I would go with #1 at first then tire's but not the 888's.Learn to drive the car as is.You'll learn the limit's faster that way than upgrading the car.

Robert

You will learn the limits of the car better in stock form....all you will need are a set of track brake pads and high temp fluid. Seat time is the best mod you can buy. Nice car!

To learn the fastest you will need the help of a qualified coach....and there just so happens to be the best in the business here on the east coast:

instr_banner_v1_small.jpg

Don't know anything about the Callaway corvette, so I did a quick google.

Lets see if I understand...

Eaton Supercharged to 600+ HP, and alot of interior/exterior dress up stuff, very nice car!

If that's the case, I'd get some advice about a suspension & brake upgrade combo, not just coilovers and tires. That much power and no suspension/tire upgrade seems like a handful in beginner hands. But maybe the stock Corvette suspension is good enough, like I said, I don't know vettes. I'd at least get GOOD tires.

I'm not a proponent of learning on poor gripping tires. Alot of folks say they're more forgiving by giving you clues to their slipping point, but in my experience, by then your usually in trouble anyway and have nothing left to get you out of it.

Edited by Guest

To learn the fastest you will need the help of a qualified coach....and there just so happens to be the best in the business here on the east coast:

wasn't he the winner of Speed Channel's Setup show?

wasn't he the winner of Speed Channel's Setup show?

Should've been.

I would like to know why people think you will learn more on stock suspension? While there may not be a benefit from upgrading all the suspension stuff right away, there is something to be said for learning in a car that is set up the way you are going to drive it.

I had expected the responses would favor the modified car as it would provide more help in getting the novice through the course. Being a novice I think I will need all the help I can get.

Keep the comments coming.

I'm going to say something you probably aren't going to want to hear, but it needs to be said.

Start with a slower car. Learn to drive a slow car fast, then when you can really drive you move up to the fast car.

If what you are really interested in doing is learning to drive that is the way to do it. If all you want to do is go out and have fun then go ahead and go out with the Calloway Vette.

I would like to know why people think you will learn more on stock suspension? While there may not be a benefit from upgrading all the suspension stuff right away, there is something to be said for learning in a car that is set up the way you are going to drive it.

generally aftermarket suspension makes the vehicle edgier / less forgiving and also increases the tendency for oversteer

stock 'vettes are setup pretty well - just look at any C5 or C6 TTA 'vette

I had expected the responses would favor the modified car as it would provide more help in getting the novice through the course. Being a novice I think I will need all the help I can get.

Keep the comments coming.

the other problem is that by expanding the envelope even farther it will take you much longer to get to where you can safely explore the edges. Especially on less-forgiving racier tires and less-forgiving racier suspension

If you are novice, you'll be learning "just being out there" as much as anything. Being aware of surroundings, learning to watch corner stands, learning track flow/line, etc. There's a lot to it, more than just the car. Learning a brand new expensive 600 hp car on top of that is just more stuff for the brain to process.

Find you a high mile C5 for $8-9k and go bang around in that for awhile, sell it for a grand less when you are done. $$ well spent. It'll get you close to the feel of your vehicle dynamics while you learn the non car related ropes.

I think there is something to be said for learning in a low(er) hp car, most folks do.

Something else to keep in mind, with NO offense intended, but you are YEARS behind in ability of what that car is capable of. Too many times people get out there with the fastest hotrod available, run a few weekends and then want to make it go faster when in reality, a capable, EXPERIENCED driver in a lesser car would be faster.

Example:

You take your new Callaway to Virginia International Raceway (VIR) and run an HPDE weekend.

You get comfortable in your car and decide you wish to upgrade your car for more HP or as you said eibach springs or maybe R888's. You do another HPDE weekend @ VIR, even more comfortable still and you decide you need to upgrade your tune or pulley for even more HP. Now you do another HPDE weekend and feel that you are pushing your Callaway and really getting fast out there.

Harsh reality:

A driver like Mike Skeen or Danny Popp gets into your older BONE STOCK 2009 C6 and turns a faster lap than you just did on your final session after 3 HPDE weekends in twice the car.

Sorry, but I feel you should leave your car the way it is and just get out there and have fun. Speed will come.

Thanks to all for the frank responses. It is what I wanted to hear.

I will leave the Callaway as is, get a few HDPEs of experiences under the belt.

Good question about why I want to learn fast.

I knew that trying to learn in a car with 600+ hp is pushing the envelop of being reasonable. So the question real question is:

"If I must learn to drive at HPDE events with the Callaway would my learning experience be better served by adding the suspension and tire upgrades?"

Clear to me the answer is stay stock !

Thanks to all who responded.

PS> Might even talk to my daughter about using her 08 Jetta for the first weekend?

I agree with Ken - good attitude helps a lot.

I've you've never been out on the track before, it'll be a great, exciting experience as well.

Whatever car you take, take the time to learn the track - it's flow, it's nuances, where the corner workers are, etc. You'll miss all this stuff if you are going Banzaii from the start. A slower car gives you a bit more time to take this all in, if you can bear to leave that sweet ride at home!