Audi 4KQ Build for GTS4: build update-cage done

timmmy

Oh that's easy.

If you ask anyone, ANYONE in GTS about their car....

1. The car is overweight

2. The engine isn't making the power it should

3. We're running on tires with 30 heat cycles that came out of the spares bin.

4. ...and something isn't quite right in the setup.

Exactly! With my HP/Wt ratio, I should really be in GTS2. I just run in 4 to help Chris get contingencies. And the Hoosiers I'm running are 5 years old, I pulled them from a tire wall, and I store them outside in the sun to keep them warm.

Hi All,

2 part hit here, first a question then a project update in case you are interested.

Question: Fuel lines - I could run these inside or outside the car. I beloieve the rules sau I ca do either but if they are inside they need to be either steel braided or steel tube, correct?

A big part of me likes them under the car as gas leaks inside the car are frightening. Having said that if I put them under the car they need to run along the top of the trans tunnel. this puts them directly above the driveshaft and the exhausts. If somehow they get damaged I wont know until it is likely too late. They will be tucked up out of the way so off track incidents wont damage them most likely, however a driveshaft failure might. Even so if they do let go and catch fire they are outside the car.

Conversely if I run them inside the car (feed and return) they would be braided lines run along the passenger side of the trans tunnel. They are very protected there in a crash and are unlikely to get damaged. Plus if a leak does happen I will likely smell it and be able to take action. With this in mind I kind of like the inside option too.

Anyone here, Tech's in particular have any opinions on the pro's and cons of each approach?

Right, that was the question, now the update.

The cage is done asides from the door bars, I have the material but am holding off as working in the car once the door bars are in is a PITA. All cage gussets are in and just a few details to wrap up.

100_4107.JPG

100_4129.JPG

100_4186.JPG

The seats are in and now I can finish up the harness and head net mounts, this will likely happen this weekend

100_4132.JPG

The main exhaust sections are complete, as is the passenger side downpipe, Drivers downpipe will be complete this weekend, so that just leaves the fru fru tail/side pipes.

100_4192.JPG

100_4195.JPG

100_4203.JPG

Next up is the fuel system (Modify tank, run plumbing, mount pump, filter and pressure regulator), also involved in this is the throttle pedal setup.

After that I need to complete the coolant plumbing, add a few mounts to the front tube work to support the front bodywork and then finally the door bars go in and the thing gets paint.

This thing wont be ready for the Comp school April 16th, but it might be running by then!

I spoke to a couple of friends who are SCCA tech's and they confirmed that they would prefer inside the car to inside the tunnel for the same reasons, so that about does it for my decision. Now I just have to decide between rigid tube and braided.

Aluminum or SS for rigid?

From the CCR:

15.14 Hoses Inside Cockpit

All hoses carrying any liquids or any gases that go through the cockpit must be metal or

steel braided. Any hoses that carry cold water, such as washer fluid, cool suit, etc. are

exempt from this rule.

I like the rigid tube approach, most likely I will go Aluminum, then powdercoat it and mark flow direction for feed and return, then make a cover to protect it in an impact a little more. Most likely route it up the drive tunnel on the upper passenger side.

Any comments before I commit?

Cheers

H

For fuel lines inside of the cockpit, I'd prefer something flexible. To me, they seem less likely to break or crack during a heavy impact than a hard line that is mounted to the chassis.

Also, I'd recommend wrapping the bottom two straps of your right-side net around your seat and attaching them to the B-pillar portion of your cage.

• Members
If you want to know someone's weight and HP, just look at the tech sticker on their windsheild.. Simple enough. It's not like it's a huge secret around the paddock...

Thanks Chris, I knew they were out there individually, however I was wondering if there was an online repository for general reference.

Cheers again

Haydn

We dont have those stickers in MidAtlantic. However, the Regional GTS Director will have all the numbers. Just ask, they arent secret.

I spoke to a couple of friends who are SCCA tech's and they confirmed that they would prefer inside the car to inside the tunnel for the same reasons, so that about does it for my decision. Now I just have to decide between rigid tube and braided.

[snip]

I like the rigid tube approach, most likely I will go Aluminum, then powdercoat it and mark flow direction for feed and return, then make a cover to protect it in an impact a little more. Most likely route it up the drive tunnel on the upper passenger side.

What I would do, is take a piece of tubing which is large enough to run both of your desired fuel lines, put it inside the cabin, have one end stuck through the firewall and welded to it, and the other end stuck through the rear of the passenger foot well and welded to that. This way, any leaks will drain to the outside of the car, yet the fuel lines are above the bottom of the car, and also protected from anything that happens inside the cabin.

Will

[snip]

What I would do, is take a piece of tubing which is large enough to run both of your desired fuel lines, put it inside the cabin, have one end stuck through the firewall and welded to it, and the other end stuck through the rear of the passenger foot well and welded to that. This way, any leaks will drain to the outside of the car, yet the fuel lines are above the bottom of the car, and also protected from anything that happens inside the cabin.

Will

Not a bad Idea, I like the draining part a lot. ONly problem I can see is that they are probably more likely to rub on the inside of the tube with no way to monitor it. I am thinking better to go with braided on top of the trans tunnel, maybe with an easily removable cover. If it does leak I will at least smell it that way.

as a form of update, I am working like mad on the car and it should be ready for paint in a few weeks. It wont be ready for the NE comp school in April or the first race, however I have been extremely fortunate in arranging an alternate vehicle to allow me to at least get my licence on that date, and maybe race too. See some of you there hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a bit of an update though.

This weekend I finished the cage, it is 99.9% done, all that is left to do now is to weld on the window net tabs and the seat brace brackets. The seats and safety gear are all mounted too, sunroof welded in. All that is left to do now is to pull everything out, do a final cleanup, seam seal and the interior is ready for paint. The trunk and underside are also ready for paint. This week / next weekend I am hoping to wrap up final fabrication in the engine bay and have that ready for paint too. I will then paint those 4 areas, after which everything gets bolted on and in. The car then goes to my friend Marks Swansons (http://www.efiexpress.com) to get wired, ECU, fuel system finalized and hopefully fired up and base tuned. From there it goes up to fellow NASA/COMSCC guy Jake Parrot's (http://www.jakesrodshop.com) to get final paint. Finally back to mine for windows and final build up.

Here are some pics.

IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

I wont be bringing it to the comp school next week but I will be there This thing should be ready for debut some time in May.