Spec 944 comes to Texas

rmj951

NASA Texas will be starting a 944 Spec class for the remainder of the 2010 season starting at the next round at MSR Cresson March 13th & 14th.

I will be headed this program up any questions please direct them my way. Rene Molina [email protected]

The class will be eligible for all 944 spec contingences & some Texas contingences will also be announced soon.

That's great news! Hopefully we can schedule some 944 crossover events, as I think it would be a lot of fun to race at TWS someday.

Best of luck with building the class in Texas - I would think that you'd have lots of great non-snow donors to start with, and with several good tracks in-state (or just out of state in the case of Hallett, which is a great track for our cars) you've got lots of reasons for folks to want to join up.

I'm looking forward to coming down and racing with your group at some point.

Ah that'd be fun - should be about the same speed as PTF (which is me + SRX7s at the moment, more cars coming I hear though) and won't get run over by the faster PT cars. It will be nice to have some more cars to play with. I hope this catches on!

Ken,

Once up to speed the 944 spec cars should be running PTE pace with ease. The fast guys might even give some of the slower PTD cars a run for their money.

At our shorter local track the best 944 spec laps are not far off the PTD records.

Still sounds like it will be the right group for 944 spec to start out in.

Congratulation and good luck with your new group! The AZ Region of SCCA has a Spec 944 regional class and it runs in a group with two classes of RX7's, SRX7 and ProRX7. It is a fun group to race in, with the SRX7's being competitive with the mid pack and back 944's and the PRORX7's very competitive with the front running Spec 944's. Like Joe said, the times are similar to NASA PTE and mid-pack PTD.

looking at Nationals results your top guys were only 1-2 secs a lap faster than PTF

And right in line with PTE.

Winner & 2nd Place, Overall best Lap times (from the race)

--------944 spec - PTF ---- PTE ----- PTD

1st --- 2:21.8 - 2:22.5 - 2:21.7 - 2:18.2

2nd --- 2:21.4 - 2:24.7 - 2:21.1 - 2:17.9

Best --- 2:21.1 - 2:22.5 - 2:18.7 - 2:17.9

944 spec also had 10 of the top 11 cars run laps sub 2:22.

Best overall lap times at Miller for 944 spec were set Saturday morning pratice at 2:19.282.

What is interesting is that the racer who ran a 2:17.9 PTD in sunday's race (finished 2nd) is local to Arizona. Locally we run maybe 0.5 seconds slower, but at Miller that gap increased due to the track. Point being is that 944 spec cars are closer to PTE cars or slower PTD cars rather than PTF. Still this sounds like the right group since to run fast in 944 spec takes time to really wring speed out of the car and running with PTF will allow the drivers to develop without being constantly lapped.

We're talking a PTC through PTF group so yes they'd be a great fit instead of getting lumped in with GTS, Super Touring, and Super Unlimited like I was worried about initially. I couldn't imagine trying to run a GTS1 car in a group like that

We're talking a PTC through PTF group so yes they'd be a great fit instead of getting lumped in with GTS, Super Touring, and Super Unlimited like I was worried about initially. I couldn't imagine trying to run a GTS1 car in a group like that

Yeah I just checked out the results from the last race. You have 3 race groups. Fast, Slow, and Miata. Seems like the slow group is pretty small while fast and Miata have good numbers. So Slow group is the perfect fit.

Here in Arizona we have 1 or 2 run groups. When we get the numbers (supporting 20 cars per group) we try to run Big bore, PTB or PTA (depending on numbers) and above and Small Bore (PTB or PTC and below). When we run in Small bore we hold our own and the fast guys might get lapped.

However there times we run 30 cars in 1 race group on a 1.5 mile track. Then we get SU, ST-1 and ST-2 cars flying by. That makes for some interesting racing I have been lapped 5 times in 40 minutues before. Ha.. Takes some getting used to, but I actually like it since letting faster traffic through while in your own race is another skill to be learend and another opprotunity to race your competition.

Welcome. Rene has also posted up over on Rennlist - head on over there to give him some more support. Great news.

Calling BJ & Conan....

Nice crossover work, Eric!

Rene,

I'd also like to extend a warm welcome to your new group. You'll find that our entire group is super supportive in terms of enthusiasm and advice. Let us know what we can do to help you gather all the 944's in Texas to the 944 Spec class.

Calling BJ & Conan....

Damn it. I just started getting my car ready to sell. I have another racing project I need to finance. More details coming soon...

-bj

Looks like there will be one more 944 Spec in Texas this season. I have accepted an offer from a company in the DFW area and plan to move with my wife and kids in March. I will be towing the RAT on the move.

It was a hard decision on many levels but one that we are excited for plus I maybe leaving Miller but there are 3 tracks in the DFW area.

It was a hard decision on many levels but one that we are excited for plus I maybe leaving Miller but there are 3 tracks in the DFW area.

Glad to here another racer is making his way to DFW!!! It's great having Motor Sport Ranch, Eagles Canyon, and Texas Motor Speedway all within an hour of downtown Dallas. Hallett and MSR Houston are less than 5 hours away. You also have the brand new Harris Hill and Texas World Speedway within a 4 hour tow. There's plenty to keep you busy!

-bj

Todd is a good guy, he'll be a loss to RM. But this can only be a good thing for 944 in Texas. They are like rabbits, put two of them together and the next thing you know.....

• 4 weeks later...