Hoosier Racing Tire NASA Contingency 2010!

Greg G.

• National Staff

Hoosier Racing Tire will once again be offering NASA TT competitors the opportunity to participate in their contingency tire program. All of the details are listed here:

https://www.hoosiertire.com/NASAawdg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are the basics:

1st Place - 1 tire (minimum 3-6 cars in class)

1st Place - 2 tires (minimum 7 or more cars in class)

2nd Place - 1 tire (minimum 5 or more cars in class)

3rd Place - 1 tire (minimum 7 or more cars in class)

If you decide to participate in the program, please make sure that you follow all of the requirements and guidelines. Specifically, Hoosier has noted that there have been some in the past that have sold the tires that they won. This is strictly forbidden per the agreement all participants have made with Hoosier in electing to participate in the program.

"Any tires received through this program are for the recipients use only and are not to be sold or given to anyone else. Compliance is required and randomly checked."

I have been given notice by Hoosier that if our TT competitors do not follow this rule, that the program will be halted. If you have any questions regarding this rule, or any special circumstances, please contact Tim Gilvin at Hoosier.

Hoosier Racing Tire Corp.

65465 U.S. 31

Lakeville, IN 46536

Phone: 1-574-784-3152

Fax: 1-574-784-2385

This is excellent news and it's great that Hoosier is supporting TT with contingency. Let's not screw it up!

As discussed in other forums, it's also a rule that tires must be purchased from authorized distributors.

"To participate in Hoosier's NASA contingency program, race tires must be purchased through one of our authorized trackside dealers/distributors."

The Tire Rack is not on that list.

Thanks again Hoosier!

Some may be used to seeing things in this format:

3 or 4 starters - 1st place gets 1 tire

5 or 6 starters - 1st place gets 1 tire, 2nd place gets 1 tire

7 or more starters - 1st place gets 2 tires, 2nd place gets 1 tire, 3rd place gets 1 tire

This is excellent news and it's great that Hoosier is supporting TT with contingency. Let's not screw it up!

As discussed in other forums, it's also a rule that tires must be purchased from authorized distributors.

"To participate in Hoosier's NASA contingency program, race tires must be purchased through one of our authorized trackside dealers/distributors."

The Tire Rack is not on that list.

That would be the Trackside requirement.

Does that mean in order to be eligible for contingency my existing Hoosiers should have been purchased from one of the trackside vendors? If so how does one go about proving the purchase of an old set of tires?

I would say it might be very difficult to prove where the old set was purchased...

buy a new set from a participating vendor, that will solve it....

I would say it might be very difficult to prove where the old set was purchased...

That statement alone exemplifies exactly what's wrong with this program.

I'd say that's the ONLY thing "wrong" about the program, and it's really not a big problem. For Hoosier, it means you had to buy their tires from someplace, and for the trackside support people it means that there is strong incentive to buy from them in the future. I know where I have purchased my tires, and I know where I will continue to purchase them. So while Hoosier can't police every aspect of the program, I think it is an excellent one. Besides, there is no difference in price from the trackside venders to any other Hoosier sales outlet (at least around here), so what's the point of using anyone else?

That statement alone exemplifies exactly what's wrong with this program.

Why is that? If you (not you, but you in general), had read the rules to begin with, you would have purchased the tires from an authorized vendor to begin with and all would be well !!!

Phil - you have obviously forgotten what it's like to be a grassroots racer. Sometimes guys have to dig coins from their couches just to buy scrub tires. Regardless of who or where they buy from, if they are black, round and have Hoosier printed on the side of them; they should be eligible for the contingency - period. I'm not going to argue this topic with you so blast away - you're sure to win this debate (because it never started).

here's the email response I got from Jeff about using won/purchased '09 tires and Tim's contact:

Mark,

Thanks for writing and good question. You are welcome use Tim Gilvin([email protected]) or myself as contact names to NASA claims or questions.

Yes, you are welcome to use 2009 purchased A6/R6 tires to win / runner up a 2010 NASA event. There is no need to purchase new tires in 2010 to be eligible for our contingency payout.

Also, there is no need to register again if your signed up last year. Feel free to forward my answer to any NASA competitor that may need to know.

All of the details to our program can be viewed at: https://www.hoosiertire.com/cont.htm

Have a nice weekend.

- Jeff Speer, HRT

Phil - you have obviously forgotten what it's like to be a grassroots racer. Sometimes guys have to dig coins from their couches just to buy scrub tires. Regardless of who or where they buy from, if they are black, round and have Hoosier printed on the side of them; they should be eligible for the contingency - period. I'm not going to argue this topic with you so blast away - you're sure to win this debate (because it never started).

Listen.....First off racing is expensive, we all know that. Secondly we, PTS, didn't make the rules, we just are left to follow them, and thirdly, if Hoosier wants to award you with tires, and you have purchased tires from a vendor other than one on the "list", that is their perogative........(on a side note this contingency would never have happened if it wasn't for my input !!)

You should, however, send an email to them voicing your opinion about "where to purchase them", they are more then accommodating in most cases.

And lastly, I do remember and still deal with, how hard it is to come up with a few bucks for any item in racing......we are all in this together. I love this sport and the people in it....well most of them, lol.....I am thankful that I am able to scrape out a living doing something I truly love...the end !!

Phil, please just start bringing more trailer tires! October last year(VIR) you did not have enough.

Signed,

One blown or flat tire per event(or so it seems)

Does that mean in order to be eligible for contingency my existing Hoosiers should have been purchased from one of the trackside vendors? If so how does one go about proving the purchase of an old set of tires?

Yes

I am very sure Hoosier can check the S/N and know where they shipped it if you would like to confirm with them.

I would like to buy some scrub Hoosiers and go at it, but that isn't how the contingency works. There were some last year that thought that was OK (including me), meaning they ran on Hoosiers and were therefore eligible, but that is simply not the case.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe so. There is nothing in the form we submit that asks for the compound that we used to win. So far I've ordered R6's and R100's with no issue.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the website "The participant's name, current address, telephone number, car model and photo, competition class and tire size(s) must be on file prior to the date of the event in which you participated."

I've figured out how to do everything except the Photo requirement. It's not an option in the web form where i filled out everything else (and ordered my decals). Anyone have any idea how to provide them with the photo?

• 2 months later...