Gingerman HPDE this weekend (jul 19th-20th)

jfranci3

Everyone who made it out to the HPDE this weekend, I had a great time. Thanks to everyone that helped me with my car and to everyone who ran with me for being making it fun.

Jon

Black Mustang

I also thank everyone for the HPDE/race weekend at Gingerman. I learned a lot. Really!

Everyone was curteous, polite, knowledgeable, and helpful--on track and off. For that reason, I'd like to apologize to anyone who sucked in any dust from my major whoops at turn 9 on Sunday.

I'll be back.

John S. BMW M3 #92

Gingerman was my 3rd event, and I have to say it was the fastest HPDE 1&2 group I've driven with. I have to apoligize to the gray Focus, when you waved me by on the front stretch I missed 3rd gear. Sorry I cut you off a little bit, hope you read these forums.

John, I got a little of that dust on turn 9. Don't worry, you were pushing it and pushing it is how you learn. Hope the car was okay.

Speaking of damage to the car, I quickly realized that I ran the brake pads completely off my car when I left the track. I drove home 5hrs without brakes. Toll booths were a little tricky

Dave, Red Viper

Jon

I was the instructor in the Blue 350Z. From what I could see, you were doing a great job.

Thanks!

I didn't stop by, but I saw your ride and camp site. You have a pretty nice setup there.

Instructor question: Was my instructor supposed to fill out something in that booklet or is that for my records?

Has everyone seen these? http://www.dariusrudis.com/mustang/2003_07_NASA_GingerMan/index3.htm

Edited by Guest

Gingerman was my 3rd event, and I have to say it was the fastest HPDE 1&2 group I've driven with. I have to apoligize to the gray Focus, when you waved me by on the front stretch I missed 3rd gear. Sorry I cut you off a little bit, hope you read these forums.

John, I got a little of that dust on turn 9. Don't worry, you were pushing it and pushing it is how you learn. Hope the car was okay.

Speaking of damage to the car, I quickly realized that I ran the brake pads completely off my car when I left the track. I drove home 5hrs without brakes. Toll booths were a little tricky

Dave, Red Viper

I know the feeling. I had about a half thickness on the rear to start. My research told me that they would go quickly. My post run check up made that seem understated. I wore through a sizable chunk. Enough so that I bolted for Autozone (conveniently located 5minutes away). I bought new rears, borrowed the caliper tool, and got some jack stands.

For the second time out, I told my instructor of my concern, that I felt I was good to go, but if I heard anything funky we were going in. Sure enough, after the second run, that were gone. http://jfranci3.gotdns.com/car/NASA_GINGERMAN_JULY192003_HPDE008.JPG

Before the third run, I had an acquittance of mine Tim L. w/ the CMC Mustang help me change them out. A number of other people helped out (thanks everyone) also.

A couple of learning points:

1) Brakes are cheap, bring an extra set of pads

2) Albany brand pads from autozone suck

3) Cast Iron retains heat for a LONG time

4) Non vented, small rear rotors on a heavy car with a soft pad doesn't make for long life on the track

5) NASA people are unbelievably friendly and helpful. Hopefully I can return all the favors I owe people.

Dave, is this your ride? http://jfranci3.gotdns.com/car/NASA_GINGERMAN_JULY192003_HPDE001.JPG

Jon

Yes, your instructor should have filled out your log book. You can get your instructor enail address from Lawrence Mansier. You should try to get that filled out, it a great tool for communication between your instructors from event to event.

Yes, it was a wonderful learning experience. My brakes held up nicely--which surprised me. But I unseated my left front tire Sunday in my previously mentioned dusty whoops (car is fine--dirty, but fine). So I did my last session with three Potenza S03s and one Dunlop, my spare, which made for a truly weird handling car.

John S. #92 BMW M3