HPDE Multi-event Insurance Packages

danwendling

• 4 weeks later...

I too am interested in Multi-Event HPDE Insurance.

I spoke Monday with the Insurance company that the PCA uses and she said that the insurance carrier that she represented only does single event thus far.

If anyone learns of a company that will do the season, PLEASE POST IT!!!!

I have not heard of multi event coverage for DE drivers, and from what I have heard, Lockton Affinity is the way to go for single event coverage.

This is Ryan Staub from Lockton Affinity/HPDE Insurance Program. This thread was brought to my attention and I thought I'd give you a quick update.

On Wednesday I had a meeting with the underwriter for our program. He is committed to offering some sort of annual policy option that would cover a number of HPDE events. Our solution is perfect for the person that does less than 6-7 events each year, but we recognize that it's not ideal if you do more. So, we're talking about creating a variety of annual policy packages: 6-pack, 9-pack, 12-pack, etc.

After talking with our IT guys about implementing this type of change, I think it is realistic to believe that we could have this type of offering available in the next 3 months. As a "track junkie" myself, I'm very motivated to figure out this type of solution sooner than later.

This is Ryan Staub from Lockton Affinity/HPDE Insurance Program. This thread was brought to my attention and I thought I'd give you a quick update.

On Wednesday I had a meeting with the underwriter for our program. He is committed to offering some sort of annual policy option that would cover a number of HPDE events. Our solution is perfect for the person that does less than 6-7 events each year, but we recognize that it's not ideal if you do more. So, we're talking about creating a variety of annual policy packages: 6-pack, 9-pack, 12-pack, etc.

After talking with our IT guys about implementing this type of change, I think it is realistic to believe that we could have this type of offering available in the next 3 months. As a "track junkie" myself, I'm very motivated to figure out this type of solution sooner than later.

Glad u came on here. I just came on looking about insurance. Trying to see if I can afford to do the march 27th Lime Rock.

Do u offer any military discounts?

Thanks for posting Ryan, I will be paying attention to how this turns out -- subscribed...

• Members

I'm a little curious how this works. I have a race car that is not license and I only used it on the track and sometimes I use it on HPDE events. Now that been said and hoping to keep it as clean as possible, lets say that we have a "racing accident" with one of the guys that bring their every day car on the track.

Keep in mind that you have already sign a release form prior to the event.

Now you go to your insurance company and tell them that John D. hit your brand new maserati in a HPDE event. Will the insurance company try to go to John and try to collect $30,000 to replace your rear bumper or just pay for the damages and don't ask any questions.

Just curious nothing else.

I'm a little curious how this works. I have a race car that is not license and I only used it on the track and sometimes I use it on HPDE events. Now that been said and hoping to keep it as clean as possible, lets say that we have a "racing accident" with one of the guys that bring their every day car on the track.

Keep in mind that you have already sign a release form prior to the event.

Now you go to your insurance company and tell them that John D. hit your brand new maserati in a HPDE event. Will the insurance company try to go to John and try to collect $30,000 to replace your rear bumper or just pay for the damages and don't ask any questions.

Just curious nothing else.

When I researched it, I gathered that the supplemental insurance for track events offered through these companies is a "full coverage" type insurance that covers your car no matter how it gets damaged (you hit wall/someone hits you). I also took from my reading that they do not try to collect (sue) for funds from another party if they initiated the accident. Instead they charge a fair amount for 2 days of driving insurance (about $165 w/taxes in my case). For that kind of money I can pay for 2 months of full coverage through my regular insurance company. But, if an accident occurs, you must 1st cover the deductable ($1500 in my case) & this supplemental insurance is not offered to licensed racers, just HPDE educational events from what I can tell.

• Members

My main concern is that in HPDE you have a mix of street cars and race cars and race cars don't carry any insurance and if you hit it 9 out of 10 times , you just go back to your pits and grab a hammer and get it straight.

Street cars would be a different aproach, I don't see the owner of a 7 series or ferrari or "insert exotic name here" going back and banging on the car. Specially if you have insurance covering the car. Here in Southern California " I have never been to other state HPDE" we have very high end and exotic cars going to the events, obiously if you have that type of car you are well off , me on the other side , well is like 99 % of the rest, living on a budget and having the racing bug. Last thing I want is an insurance company on my back.

Is just a concern I have, like I said, I don't know how a policy works since the determination to go after somebody is made by the insurance company and if angry enough also the owner of the car.

I wonder if the waiver sign before the event is enough to protect you.

• Members

I would like to hear from an insurance lawyer on this matter if there is any around. Or anybody knows about any incident that has already happened and what was the result of it.

The simplest solution, **REALLY** is to just focus on not hitting anybody. In an HPDE environment, there should be NO reason to running with a competition mentality. Having an insurance policy on your car is not a license to go out and drive like a moron, it's just protection for the car in the event of an "uh-oh" moment, like a tire failure, a patch of antifreeze/dirt/gravel that got dragged onto the track, or the like.

Seriously, there's no call for following so closely that you have no exit strategy available except hitting the car in front of you, or piling it into a wall. There's no call for pushing SO hard that you're on the edge of spinning on every corner. That's for the TT and Race programs!

If you really want to protect yourself, get the insurance, and back it up with an in-car camera, so you can PROVE that the guy that you tangled with was the one driving like a hoon, and not you...

In the end, HPDE is for fun, for learning how to drive fast safely, and for enjoying your car in a controlled environment. It's not for dive-bomb passes at the apex, passing on the grass, bump-drafting, or other hyper-aggressive moves...

It's not for dive-bomb passes at the apex, passing on the grass, bump-drafting, or other hyper-aggressive moves...

Good points there dave, and the crap above isn't even allowed in Time Trials...

• Members

I understand all the points above and also understand the reason for HPDE events, I think that contact anywhere , anytime if caused by a moronic move should be penalized either on hpde or even race groups.

I know that you are not racing anybody and you are learning to go fast in a safe way and all that and more.

But we don't live in a perfect world and there is always potential for an accident. You are in a race track where speeds are 2 to 3 times and more over anything you drive on the street and freeways and sometimes testosterone, or error in judgement can take over somebody.

I have been witness first hand of at least 2 incidents that fortunately didn't end up in somebody getting very hurt but the cars are a big ball of steel by now. Both incidents were just plain novice moves that if they would have happened at leser speeds would have ended in just being scared.

I know I can control myself and keep cool under any circumstance that is presented to me. Belive me when I say the last thing I would like on a weekend is to end with a car on a tow truck or somebody else for that matter. What I don't want to see is people shying away from events because of potential to be sue if they are involved in some incident when is understood that you are in a race track going as fast as you can with other people around you. It is just my train of tought and my opinion , I'm done, good night

You are in a race track where speeds are 2 to 3 times and more over anything you drive on the street and freeways

a lil overestimation heh. i've never been able to do more than 130mph on the track. but umm....yea....younger years.

• Members

good morning. I was talking bout entry speeds , corner , and you know what i mean. straigh speeds if you take the speed limit of 65 you still twice that easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok, I'm signed up for CMP w/insurance through: http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Products.aspx" which is the only carrier I've used thus far. But I also signed up for Roebling Road in Savannah & this company does not offer an insurance listing for that event. Anybody gotten insurance for Roebling Road & know who may offer it.

BTW, still interested in group insurance for next year if not available this year, but I would prefer not having a $3k deduct (at that price it might as well be $30k...LoL). The company I'm using now just raised their deductable to $2k from $1,500 which is too much IMO. My regular insurance on all my cars carries a $250 deductable...

Edited by Guest

Do you have a full copy of the Policy from Lockoninfinity? If so, I'd like to read a copy.

No, sorry....I don't have the full policy, but the link above has the highlights & frequently asked questions.