New to racing. Going to register for Doing HPDE 1

gq4life

New to racing. Going to register for Doing HPDE 1 going to register next pay check.

I now have a 2010 Camaro SS brand new hasnt had its first oil change. Unlike my last car this car hasnt been driven hard yet I dont know how well the stock brake pads are.

Anyone experience with these on the track. Should I order some Hawk HP Plus Brake Pads (dont want to go too tracky its my daily driver) ?

Car has 4-piston Brembo brakes at all four corners, 14.0-in. rotors up front and 14.4s at the rear

only magazine article I could find on track test about brakes was Inside line (edmunds) they said they had no brake fade.

Thank You in advance for any help

So, which track are you going to?????

The Camaro is heavy so you may need to change the pads if you are going to a track with a lot of braking like CMP. You probably will want to buy HPDE insurance in case an incident happens at the track.

I'd still have some good performance oriented pads and high temp fluid - I treat brakes as safety equipment. Won't need to use the seatbelts if the car stops in time

Definately pick up a set of mild track pads, your stock pads wont make it though the day with a heavy car. Put in some high temp fluid like Motul or something and you are all set. You're gonna have a blast!!!

A 6month old car, your first time out, I would:

Torque the lugnuts

Set tires to factory spec air pressure

Have fun

something with a higher hp/weight ratio I'd agree with you

...I now have a 2010 Camaro SS ...Car has 4-piston Brembo brakes at all four corners...

You might want to remove the stick-on wheel weights from your brake calipers, as the tape probably won't cope with the caliper heat and the weights will become FOD at that point.

Mark

Put in some high temp fluid like Motul or something and you are all set.

Even for my own TT use, I have never used anything fancier than $7/quart Valvoline synthetic fluid from Advance Auto Parts, and I don't think that anything fancier is needed for first-time HPDE-1 use. Even worse by comparison, the 2008 and 2009 Factory Five Roadster national champion uses the $3/bottle stuff from WallyMart.

Mark

Even for my own TT use, I have never used anything fancier than $7/quart Valvoline synthetic fluid from Advance Auto Parts, and I don't think that anything fancier is needed for first-time HPDE-1 use. Even worse by comparison, the 2008 and 2009 Factory Five Roadster national champion uses the $3/bottle stuff from WallyMart.

Mark

thats dumb, but not unexpected

(see brakes as safety equipment comment above)

thats dumb, but not unexpected

(see brakes as safety equipment comment above)

Well, that's your opinion, and you know what they say about those.

But, recommending $20/pint Motul for first-time HPDE-1 use is, in my opinion, massive overkill and a waste of money.

Also dumb is a TTF car that uses anything besides tap water for brake fluid, as it probably weighs 1800 lbs and can't go over 35 mph, so it doesn't need to stop.

Mark

as heavy and as powerful as that thing is compared to most other cars, driven by a newbie that probably knows how to use the loud pedal but not the whoa pedal and will probably overbrake and overwork the brakes...

again, opinion. Walls aren't fun.

With what seems to be a respectful newbie at the wheel and a typical, knowledgeable instructor riding shotgun, I doubt that this car will be overdriven on its first HPDE-1 weekend.

I agree that walls are not fun, as I have had un-fun before (and it had nothing to do with brake fluid).

Mark

I agree with both of you.

Mark is right that it probably will not be needed.

But even at $20 a pint its pretty cheap insurance. If nothing else once he gets that done it will be one less thing he has to worry about at the track. And one less thing to worry about can be important for a first timer at the track.

I can't believe any of you are recommending brake upgrades to a new guy that probably still has the saran wrap on the floor mats.

I had two students with heavier cars at two different tracks consume complete sets of OE brake pads in less than a day and a half. It's no fun telling your student that they really need to just park the car after they hit metal-to-metal. One of them was REALLY starting to grok the whole business, too...

My 2004 Mustang GT consumed a set of 75%-new OEM rear pads in 6 HPDE-1 sessions. I had already upgraded the front pads to Carbotech XP-10s, so they weren't a problem. Non-stock pads are probably a good idea for a 2-day HPDE weekend.

Just don't forget to remove the wheel weights from the calipers...

Mark

Why would there be wheel weights on the calipers?

There was apparently an NVH issue with the Brembo calipers on the Camaros, so the addition of mass to the calipers apparently solved it, as cheesy as it seems. There is a thread about this at Corner-Carvers.com (you may need to be a member and/or logged in to see this):

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40839

Photo:

camaro-ss-brake-weights_100180528_l.jpg

Mark

That's a factory fix?!?!??

Unfortunately, apparently so.

A quote from a quote:

Several early owners of new 2010 Camaro SS have noticed oddly looking weights on their Brembo Brake calipers. The weights look very similar to the ones put on the inside of your wheel to balance it out. Questions about these weights have circulated through the Camaro forums over the past week and finally General Motors has given an official answer. Basically in a nutshell the weights are present to reduce noise during certain driving conditions.

John Fitzpatrick, GM's Marketing manager for the new camaro gives the official statement saying "Some early Camaro customers noticed that there are weights on the Camaro SS calipers. With high-performance vehicles like the Camaro SS, minor brake noise is not uncommon. The weights act as a damper to reduce noise in certain driving conditions. This was done after careful evaluation and validation by our engineering team. These weights will only be added to early builds of the Camaro SS."

GM has remedied the situation on all new SS models being produced with no further issues.

Source: Camaro5.com

Mark

Mark

My brake temps in the E30 were 980 degrees after pitting in and temp taken on pit road at VIR last weekend. On the brakes they can be about 200 degrees higher. I bet they are higher in July as well....

My brake temps in the E30 were 980 degrees after pitting in and temp taken on pit road at VIR last weekend. On the brakes they can be about 200 degrees higher. I bet they are higher in July as well....

Was this on your first day of HPDE-1, with an instructor riding shotgun to keep you within safe limits?

I have seen no evidence of brake fluid degradation, on track or off, with my setup in my 3300 lb Time Trial car (13" rotors with 4-piston Brembos up front). Then again, I'm probably leaving a bit of time on the table in the braking zones, but squeezing every last inch out of my braking just isn't a priority right now. My lap times seem to indicate that I'm doing "good enough" in TTD for now.

My original point here was that waving the "holy crap you need the best brake fluid available for your first day in HPDE-1" flag just isn't absolutely necessary if you're watching costs (not to be confused with cutting corners).

Mark