New to racing. Going to register for Doing HPDE 1

gq4life

My original point here was that waving the "holy crap you need the best brake fluid available for your first day in HPDE-1" flag just isn't absolutely necessary if you're watching costs (not to be confused with cutting corners).

Mark

Well said Mark. The will be plenty of time later to waste...uhh I mean spend money on upgrades.

I think you are both flippin nuts, esp seeing how others easily toasted thier OEM pads during their first event, but whatever. I guess the guy will make his own decision regardless

I think you are both flippin nuts, esp seeing how others easily toasted thier OEM pads during their first event, but whatever. I guess the guy will make his own decision regardless

...and given that brake fluid flushes are often neglected, I don't think a $12 bottle of ATE is going to keep anyone from the track. Some people I see at the track for their first HPDE look like they have Coca-cola in the reservoir.

Sorry for the late response. I didnt get any email saying I had replies. I need to check those settings.

Well I asked about the brake thing because my last car which was not a sports car experienced brake fade so I changed the pads and fluid on that one. Used ATE Superblue for fluid and HP Plus pads. got rid of brake fade.

Trying to see if I can make the March 27th Lime Rock event.

Im not planning on hitting the wall so I dont plan on going crazy. I just want to have fun and learn.. not looking to break the track record. Ive read so many things on racing and how to do this and that but it is so pointless without doing it.

Well my other car was faster then my camaro in top end but I never got to track it. Was always away. Be out military end of this month so I want to do things I missed out on the last 8yrs.. Racing on Tracks going on vacation.

My cars are my babies. I don't neglect them LoL..

Well if I had a 370Z, there would be no question I would upgrade my pads.. anyone read the car and driver article?

Also I dont think I have the weights on my brake calipers. I'll look better but dont remember seeing them.

Ok I also need a SA helmet as mine is packed up in military storage and doesnt look like I'll get my stuff in time. Anyone know a good web site or a good store around poughkeepsie, NY?

My brake temps in the E30 were 980 degrees after pitting in and temp taken on pit road at VIR last weekend. On the brakes they can be about 200 degrees higher. I bet they are higher in July as well....

Was this on your first day of HPDE-1, with an instructor riding shotgun to keep you within safe limits?

I have seen no evidence of brake fluid degradation, on track or off, with my setup in my 3300 lb Time Trial car (13" rotors with 4-piston Brembos up front). Then again, I'm probably leaving a bit of time on the table in the braking zones, but squeezing every last inch out of my braking just isn't a priority right now. My lap times seem to indicate that I'm doing "good enough" in TTD for now.

My original point here was that waving the "holy crap you need the best brake fluid available for your first day in HPDE-1" flag just isn't absolutely necessary if you're watching costs (not to be confused with cutting corners).

Mark

Mark, it wasn't my first day

I was just trying to provide a data point that even on a cool day brake temps can get up there, and that will kill factory pads. The fluid issue is different, and as long as it is less than a year old, whatever the factory put in there should be fine.

Well if I had a 370Z, there would be no question I would upgrade my pads.. anyone read the car and driver article?

Are you referring to the Uh Oh moment at T-1 at VIR last summer?? I was there and watched that happen.

Something that not many people think of is TURN OFF YOUR ON-STAR while on the track!!! If you are like most new GM vehicle owner, you have at least a complimentary one year subscription. If you do not turn it off while on track you can be tracked and if something happens....well, you've seen the commercials. It would be bad for the police to try to show up to an accident that happened at the track.

Bob

Something that not many people think of is TURN OFF YOUR ON-STAR while on the track!!! If you are like most new GM vehicle owner, you have at least a complimentary one year subscription. If you do not turn it off while on track you can be tracked and if something happens....well, you've seen the commercials. It would be bad for the police to try to show up to an accident that happened at the track.

Bob

how do u turn off the on-star?

Just found out with insurance this is going to cost over $500 so definately cant do brakes. and probably wont make the lime rock event got to wait to see if I get paid and when.. geez this sucks..

umm.check with your car's regular insurance policy. organized HPDE's are not a racing event and might be covered under your existing policy.

umm.check with your car's regular insurance policy. organized HPDE's are not a racing event and might be covered under your existing policy.

I called them and USAA said no it is not covered.

FWIW, I completely destroyed my brakes at my first HPDE event at Eagles canyon last year. 09 WRX with HP+ front pads and Motul fluid. Front pads 90% gone, rear pads metal on metal, caliper piston gaskets melted, rotors grooved and nearly dead. Its a 350 WHP car and I drove it hard but geesh, this aint no joke $$. Best $500 I ever spent too! EC must be one of the harder tracks on brakes with those looong straights and sharp transitions. I am glad I had the high dollar brake fluid, it probably saved me near the end and still looked clear after all that heat. Got signed off to HPDE2 though....

FWIW, I completely destroyed my brakes at my first HPDE event at Eagles canyon last year. 09 WRX with HP+ front pads and Motul fluid. Front pads 90% gone, rear pads metal on metal, caliper piston gaskets melted, rotors grooved and nearly dead. Its a 350 WHP car and I drove it hard but geesh, this aint no joke $$. Best $500 I ever spent too! EC must be one of the harder tracks on brakes with those looong straights and sharp transitions. I am glad I had the high dollar brake fluid, it probably saved me near the end and still looked clear after all that heat. Got signed off to HPDE2 though....

NICE!!!

my instructor was a complete bad ass too, got out of his smoking hot 3rd place spec miata car and ran over to mine with his helmet on for our last session. Respect....!!