Considering running my first HPDE with my G8 GT. Need advice

Tempest2000

I have a 2008 G8 GT its a 4 door sedan 6 speed auto. It puts out about 426RWHP NA. Typical cam, headwork, mid headers and corsa exhaust. I also have a pedders suspension kit going on it. heavier swaybars, poly bushings, adjustable rear camber/toe settings, adjustable height and dampening coilovers.

With that said, a similar setup with the dampening cranked up pulled over a 1.02g in a test. Still the car weighs 4000 lbs minus the driver. I'm running 275/35 19 rears and 255/35 19's in the front.

I am looking at getting a set of perforamnce slotted rotors and a good set up pads to swap out for track days.

What would you guys recommend? I've heard hawk and carbotech, but no clue what to use for a heavy car. I also heard I need a good dot 4 fluid any suggestions?

The people that seem to road race our cars appear to be using bridgestone pole position XL (extra load tires for the weight) I have hankook evo's right now which have good side bite, but not much forward bite. Any suggestions on a tire I can drive on the street and at the track that will do ok?

Other than a helmet any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

slotted rotors are kind of a gimmick, I'd skip them. With that much power I'd have a good high temp fluid (shop by boiling point, DOT rating isn't useful for our application), a good decent pad, and have fresh spare rotors on hand just in case one does crack on you. I'd give Carbotech a call direct and talk with them about what they recommend with your cars weight, power, tires, and your experience level.

With that much car (horsepower & weight) I'd be sure to take full advantage of your cool down lap by not using the brakes as much as you can to let them be cooled naturally by the airflow going over them. May also want to roll the car forward/backwards a few inches every so often right after your session too so that the brakes can cool evenly - the area underneath the caliper is hotter and could be prone to cracks if it doesn't cool as evenly as you can get it to. Those things will be getting VERY hot in comparison to other cars as you start to push it and get more comfortable with what it can do.

Those tires sound you have sound fine, as is whatever suspension is on the car right now. Its easier to learn on stock basic equipment because the envelope is usually smaller and its also more forgiving of mistakes. Forward bite won't be used that much even off slower corners because you'll still be carrying some decent speed through the middle of the corner.

The stock rotors for our G8's are pretty soft. I'm running hawk ceramics right now and drive aggresively on back roads. Just with the ceramics I've put a pretty good groove in the stock rotors and had to have them resurfaced already at 30k miles. DBA rotors are about our only option as our car is made in australia. If I'm going to spend the money on rotors, I would rather buy right than buy twice. Here are the rotors I'm talking about dba.com.au/node/5335 It looks like they have a non-slotted design is there a reason not to get the slotted if the cost about the same?

The stock suspension isn't bad, but you have to be REALLY smooth getting into corners as it holds well, but has a little too much roll for my liking. The pedders kit seems to settle the cars down some as long as you don't increase dampening too much in the rear.

I'll check with carbotech on the pads and thanks for the tips.

Would I be wise to look into getting a trans cooler or would I be fine with my 6l80e as is?

I am looking at picking up a c5 z06 for a track car or maybe a z51 c6 if things work out. I just wanted to get in a few runs with my G8 to see if I get hooked.

Slots give cracks a place to start, and the way modern pads are made there really isn't any gasses to have the slots clear out. And if you've done your homework on pad selection you shouldn't get any glazing to be scraped off by the slots.

You'll get some grooving with aggressive pads, just so long as it doesn't get extreme it'll be fine.

No idea on trans cooler - thats one of those things that would be car specific so I'd try and find as many G8 people as I could to talk to and ask around to get an idea of their experiences with the car.

What should I use to protect the front end of my car? I've heard some people use something like blue painter's tape. Is there something better I should look into?

What psi f and r should I run on my street tires?

Thanks in advance.

Run what you would normally run on the street the first session. Bring some white polish and apply to the sidewalls of the tire. Check your tires after each run to see if you're rolling onto the sidewalls (polish will be rubbed off if it does), and adjust until it the polish stays.

It's the technique that's listed in the "my first hpde" article. Luckily my wife is a tire engineer so I had an analyzer with me .

Its one of those things where they should have a good recommendation - you're talking a car thats heavier than average with more power than average... both of which will be brutal on brakes. But its also your first time out so you'll still be working up to speed...

Thanks guys I'm going to call carbotech.

I'm not going to push my car too hard the first time out as it is my true DD, but I at least want to get the right parts on the car.

I have a funny feeling that I'll end up with a C5 z06 before the year is out, but I will try and make a couple of hpde events with my G8 first.

Hi everyone,

Hope you don’t mind us popping in but we were just told about this thread and suggested we might like to contribute.

Tempest2000, though we understand that there is a lot of marketing misinformation out on performance product land, we wanted to make sure that there was a good understanding of some of the design options in brake rotors, regardless of what brand you choose. Specifically in the area of slotting, there are significant benefits for motorsport or heavy duty use that are well documented in racing tech.

For some more background on this you can take a look at these links for some more background

Talking Brakes: Are there any trade-offs with using slotted or cross-drilled rotors?

http://www.racedotcom.com/showthread.php?t=27452

Everything you wanted to know: Cross-drilled & slotted performance rotors, Parts 1 and 2

http://www.racedotcom.com/showthread.php?t=27464

http://www.racedotcom.com/showthread.php?t=27465

Motorsport is a harsh environment and very demanding on all components. It helps to understand what each component does a little better to make better decisions on upgrades and what's important for you. To help here, its best to think of a brake system as an energy conversion device, converting kinetic energy into heat via the rotors predominantly. That's not to talk down the importance of the pads or fluid but its the rotor, its significant mass and its ability to absorb and quickly dissipate the heat created that will deliver the best possible braking performance.

In simple terms, the faster the rotor can heat up and get rid of that heat the more kinetic energy it can convert and the shorter the stopping distance. Equally, the better that relationship the more repeatable meaning more stops, more often without fade. Understanding that helps remind us that there is a direct relationship between actual track or road performance and suitability of the components for this job. Sure, there are always issues of diminishing returns (the more you spend the more you need to spend to get further) but there are large gains to be made in the first steps in any brake upgrade.

Hope that helps

DBA Steve

[email protected]

426Hp...4000+lbs...I can hear the tires squealing and smell the brakes already.

Don't be surprised if you warp the factory front rotors, not sure how good GM's stock quality is but my Chrysler product rotors were crap.

You'll have fun in that car. I seriously considered buying one, wish I had. When one of the low HP/lightweight guys give you a point by to pass because of traffic, try to return the favor when they're back on your rear after a few corners.

fact check the above with racers you'll meet and make your own decisions based on real-world conditions (vs lab). DBA does have a reputation as making a very good rotor though

I have no issues with letting anyone by... This is just something to do for fun. Ricky Bobby I am not LOL

These cars are raced in australia and Pedders makes some pretty good suspension pieces for them. I'm really more worried about the brakes than anything.

My general advice is to upgrade pads and otherwise focus on car dynamics. As impressive as that car is, if you get hooked on track days (and you will), you will be tempted to dump a bunch of money making the car a better track car. Unfortunately, everything you do to make it better track car makes it a less comfortable street car. BTDT. If you're ready to commit, pick up an inexpensive, balanced car where you can LEARN about driving fast. Power is addictive, but it also inhibits learning.

No worries... as per my first post, if I like it I'll pick up a used C5 Z06 for a track car. This is my DD and will stay that way. I've already done more than I should have to it... I just want to get the right parts to have fun w/o destroying my car.

Carbotech said xp10's up front and xp8's in the rear to help with the weight of the car.

LOL there are rice burners in town pushing more hp than me with a 4 cylinder in a lighter car. I'm in a 4 door family car if a lighter car can't beat me on the track shame on him LOL

I just console myself to the fact that all my family can fit in my car, my interior is still in tact, and I'm comfortable riding to work every day and don't have to listen to pissed off bumble bee noises from the back of my car

I'm not hating on the low hp cars they are more suited to the track than my grocery getter.

I've raced in some stock spec racing with limited power before. It definitely takes some driving skill to shine in that type of racing.

I think we all misread your initial post title ("..my first HPDE..."). This is not your first HPDE, but your first with the G8. Otherwise, I would find it odd that someone has done spec racing before their first DE! (Although I think the underlying suggestion here is that you could have a lot of fun in a lower HP car compared to a Z06, not comparing it to the G8.)

PS: I love the G8. It's a shame that Pontiac got scuttled when they were putting out some very nice cars. G8 and Solstice are going to become valuable cars some day.

I don't classify karts the same as cars... so yes its my first hpde.

I don't fit in karts any more either lol and that was in my earlier years.

Yeah I still don't get keeping buick and ditching pontiac, but I'm biased I have owned 2 firebirds before my G8.