Tires for HPDE

bossman429

First I want to say I tried searching this subject, but to be honest the search function on this forum is less than user-friendly

I'm currently running in HPDE 2, and hope to bump up to 3 within the first couple events this year.

I ran Azeni's all year and they are pretty worn. I know I'll need new ones very soon.

Question is what should I move up to? Or Should I stay with Azeni's or a comp. street tire?

I have been in situations where the only thing i felt holding me back was the tires, where I felt in complete control but just had to go a little bit slower to keep within the limits of the tires.

I'm thinking of moving up to NITTO555RII or equivalent for my next set. I just don't want to go too much more expensive than a decent street tire (like the Azeni's, which is a great value if you ask me).

Any reccomendations? I'm lookin in the $200/per tire and under range. Size is a 274/40/17

My only concern with an "DOT R" tire is wet traction. I don't have a second set of wheels (yet) and my Azeni's scared me enough in the rain (granted it was also very cold and close to the end of their life). Is it possible to have a decent DOT R that wont be useless if it rains?

I've had the 555RII's before as a street tire, loved them but obviously it's impossible to compare street driving to open track.

Thanks guys!

RA1s are great in the rain and will give great improvement over the Azenis, as long as they are full tread. As they get worn down, their rain performance declines, obviously. I started my HPDE program on Azenis, ran them til they were bald, went through two sets of RA1s as I got faster. Now I am in HPDE4 and on Hoosier R6s.

RA1s are great in the rain and will give great improvement over the Azenis, as long as they are full tread. As they get worn down, their rain performance declines, obviously. I started my HPDE program on Azenis, ran them til they were bald, went through two sets of RA1s as I got faster. Now I am in HPDE4 and on Hoosier R6s.

Appreciate the info, but at $230 a pop, they are too rich for me, especially in HPDE 2.

There is no reason to run r comp tires at your level of hpde. Once you have many, many miles on track you might make the transition to racing tires if you plan on racing in the future. Super grippy tires can create, or at least mask bad habits. comp tires are also a little less forgiving of errors. I would stick with azenis, or rs2 etc, etc.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread about HPDE tires. I just picked up Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs for my summer/track tires to replace my old Potenza RE070s. I'm sure they'll be fine for HPDE use, but I'm wondering has anyone run on all-season tires at HPDE? My first event of the season is coming up this weekend, and the ambient temperature down at VIR will be high 40s at best. I was thinking about running the all-seasons (Kumho ASX) I ride on daily driving most the year in 1 or 2 sessions to lessen the traction and perhaps work on my car control. Is this a bad idea? On a side note, I will be running track-only brake pads (Pagid Yellows).

I've had decent success with ASXs when I was too lazy to slap on r-comps for instructor sessions, but, we're talking a 225s on a ~115whp ~2800lb car. Grain-of-salt as needed

I've had decent success with ASXs when I was too lazy to slap on r-comps for instructor sessions, but, we're talking a 225s on a ~115whp ~2800lb car. Grain-of-salt as needed

Thanks. I guess 235s on a ~300whp, ~3200lb car would be a little different. But I do have awd to help me if things got a little too hairy. I just wanted to know I'm not too crazy for wanting to try it out. I guess I'll speak with my instructor and consider the track conditions before I decide to try a session or 2 on ASXs.

Any reccomendations? I'm lookin in the $200/per tire and under range. Size is a 274/40/17

You might try the Kumho XS. At $158/tire they’re pretty cheap. They test head-and-shoulders above the old RT-615. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+XS&partnum=74WR7EXS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just picked up Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs for my summer/track tires to replace my old Potenza RE070s.

So why not run the Star Specs at this DE? The one complaint about UHP street tires is that they overheat towards the end of the session. I think you’ll be fine running these, and they may not get greasy near the end.

You might try the Kumho XS. At $158/tire they’re pretty cheap. They test head-and-shoulders above the old RT-615. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... mpare1=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those were my other choice for street tires. I will give them a good look

Discount tire direct has a $80 rebate on 615's plus another $50 for using their credit card. A set of Azeni's $458 is pretty hard to pass up. But I'll do some good research

I just bought some Nitto NT-05 tires and so far really like them. They are a lot grippier than the BFG G-Force Sport tires I had before, handle the heat a lot better, and the sidewall gives a much better feel. They are also pretty darn affordable. The thing I like most about them is the consistency lap after lap. Like any tire, they can get greasy when slid around a bit too much but they stay fast throughout a session.

I too recommend the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. Last year I was running on a worn down set of R888s and if there was even a hint of rain or the track was wet I would switch to the Dunlops. Although they were 10mm wider than my R888s, they were on average 2 seconds slower on a 1m 30s course which is pretty impressive. But watch out for them to get greasy after lots of hard pushing. That's the main difference between street tires and R-comps, but you should be used to that with Azenis.

So why not run the Star Specs at this DE? The one complaint about UHP street tires is that they overheat towards the end of the session. I think you’ll be fine running these, and they may not get greasy near the end.

I plan to. I just wanted to see if I was too crazy for thinking about running the all seasons for a session or 2 just to work on car control. Figured it would take less speed to break traction.. thus a little safer. As for UHP street tires getting greasy.. yes I've experienced that on my last event, which was in the middle of the summer.

ive been on falken all-seasons on my last 3 events only because they were fairly new when i started group 1 so i figure i would just wear them out since im still on a huge learning curve. they reach their limits pretty quick towards the end of the session but it gives me something else to learn off of if that makes sense.

next step will be the star specs, i keep reading good things about them in all the forums i frequent. lol i cant wait to wear out the falkens, should be much longer i hope.

Only problem with the star specs is the widest I've seen so far is 255. I'll have to check with dunlop but I'd be looking for a 275 (about 11" overall width)

Bossman, I'm fixing to order a set of StarSpecs myself to go on my newly purchased Rays wheels (18"x8.5" & 18"x9.5"). I've already got a new set of Hankook RS3s (245/40ZR18 & 285/35ZR18), but have gathered from these forums that these tires might be a little too aggressive for a newb like me in HPDE1. So after reading many threads recommending the Dunlop Star Specs, I've decided to purchase a set until I'm ready to run the RS3s. I checked TireRack & they've got the size I want; 275/35ZR18 on the rear & 245/40ZR18 on the front. Maybe they have yours too...IDK, but worth checking.

No way you'll find a better tire at a better price than the 555R2 at $173 each in your size. I ran them for a year and loved them. I swear it's the best deal out there. Tons of grip.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/nitto/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=40177&typ=Competition&tmn=NT+555R+II+Extreme

I bought a set of Nitto NT05s for my 540i from discounttiredirect & got a hell of a deal (255/40ZR17 & 225/40ZR17) all 4 shipped for $500

Bossman, I'm fixing to order a set of StarSpecs myself to go on my newly purchased Rays wheels (18"x8.5" & 18"x9.5"). I've already got a new set of Hankook RS3s (245/40ZR18 & 285/35ZR18), but have gathered from these forums that these tires might be a little too aggressive for a newb like me in HPDE1. So after reading many threads recommending the Dunlop Star Specs, I've decided to purchase a set until I'm ready to run the RS3s. I checked TireRack & they've got the size I want; 275/35ZR18 on the rear & 245/40ZR18 on the front. Maybe they have yours too...IDK, but worth checking.

Thanks man! I checked with Dunlop, they don't make the Star Specs in 17" any wider than 255, Which is a bit narrow for my wheels/car. I guess that takes those tires out of the runnning

Thanks man! I checked with Dunlop, they don't make the Star Specs in 17" any wider than 255, Which is a bit narrow for my wheels/car. I guess that takes those tires out of the runnning

Damn that sucks, I guess its because I've got 18"s that they went that wide.

Good Luck

• 1 year later...

Im gonna tag along here and ask about tires too instead of starting a new thread. I am running Toyo R888's for AutoX but now that im addicted to the track, I started HPDE and DE. The instructors are urging me to get a set of non R compound tires to learn with. I dont have a way of getting my tires to the track so I drive on them to and from. Of the two HPDE sessions I have gone to it has rained both times and it looks like its going to rain for my third this monday and tuesday.

What would be a good tire to get? I have a Porsche C2 with 18" stock wheels.

Only problem with the star specs is the widest I've seen so far is 255. I'll have to check with dunlop but I'd be looking for a 275 (about 11" overall width)

tirerack.com offers a 265/40 for the 17's. Probably more wider sizes coming out as more and more people move to them. Not sure how you'd feel about stretching a 265 just a little. I run a 245 on a 9" wheel. Barely stretched with no complaints.

Im gonna tag along here and ask about tires too instead of starting a new thread. I am running Toyo R888's for AutoX but now that im addicted to the track, I started HPDE and DE. The instructors are urging me to get a set of non R compound tires to learn with. I dont have a way of getting my tires to the track so I drive on them to and from. Of the two HPDE sessions I have gone to it has rained both times and it looks like its going to rain for my third this monday and tuesday.

***shameless plug for Star Specs***

Honestly, any tire with a treadwear of around 200 (minus the Bridgestone RE-11 simply b/c they are WAY overpriced). Dunlop Star Specs, RS-3's, 615K's, etc. They will talk to you just enough before they let go. Not sure about the others, but the Star Spec is a great rain tire for DE's. I have a 400hp Subaru on the Star Specs in 245/40/17 and I beat the SNOT out of them at Road Atlanta and Carolina Motorsports Park and they do not get greasy, even at RA in August. Tirewear is also pretty impressive. Tirerack.com offers a 275/35/18.

I've heard about the NT555RII's, but have yet to try them. I'm still on the Star Specs (after 4 events!). A friend of mine said his biggest mistake was moving from the Star Specs to the NT-05. He said the NT-05 gets really greasy really quick, unlike the Star Spec. He drives an E92 M3.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

• 3 weeks later...

I am another BIG fan of the Star Specs. I got lucky and found a set of RE01R's as they were being discontinued. I thought they were excellent on track and when I went with the Star Specs, I was equally as impressed.

Using a street tire through HPDE makes a lot of sense since you are learning your car without the aid of a very grippy tire. Plus, street tires give EXCELLENT feedback to the driver.