Probably a stupid question: Engine swap...

Driven

I, like virtually every other honda owner, has an engine swap.

In the classification, the car originally came with a 1.5L from the factory.

I've since swapped in a 1.8L. Do I add both the engine swap points AND the increased displacement?

aka, 14points...?

Actually, if in doubt, please remember; you might end up looking more stupid if you don't ask the question. I can't give you an "official" answer, but would expect the answer to be the same as it was when I posed the question (note: at that time only 5 points were assessed for increased displacement): see:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3262

• National Staff
I, like virtually every other honda owner, has an engine swap.

In the classification, the car originally came with a 1.5L from the factory.

I've since swapped in a 1.8L. Do I add both the engine swap points AND the increased displacement?

aka, 14points...?

You get either 7 points, or the car moves up to the "donor's class". For example, if you had a Honda Accord 4 cyl, it would be in TTG base class. If you dropped in a Honda Accord V6 engine into it, you would move your car up to TTF base class. But if you had a Porsche 911 turbo it would be in TTC base class. If you somehow dropped in a 993 engine, it would still be in TTC base class, but would get 7 points added.

If you switch the engine, you get the points as described above. If you then bore it out, and increase it's displacement, you would get 7 more points.

Hope that answers the question for you. If not send me an e-mail, and I'll help you classify the car.

If you switch the engine, you get the points as described above. If you then bore it out, and increase it's displacement, you would get 7 more points.

ah, this is what i was wondering!!

So, engine swap, regardless of displacement = 7 points or class the engine came from, whichever is greater

engine swap AND then you bore out (or increase displacement some other way) = 14 points, and the whole engine/class thing.

hmm, i think i'm in TTE...

• 1 month later...

to bring this back to the top...

I have a 1990 Honda CRX HF... aka, TT-H

but, wait... there's more...

I have a Integra GSR engine in my car.

engine swap is +7 or move to donor's class (TT-F), whatever is greater.

I have the following mods:

15 thru 29 points - Up ONE Class

30 thru 44 points - Up TWO Classes

45 thru 59 points - Up THREE Classes

60 thru 74 points - Up FOUR Classes

+5) DOT-approved R-compound tires

+1) Plus or minus sizing of wheels or tires

+4) Gutted interior Front/Rear

+2) Bumpers/Bumper supports

+2) Lexan/Plexiglass

+1) Heater core/HVAC system removed

+1) Relocated battery

+7*) Engine swap

+1) Air intake system

+1) Cat-back exhaust

+2) Aftermarket Header

+2) Performance chip for NA

+2) Programmable electronics and fuel injection systems

+1) Removal of emissions

+1) Changed OEM downpipe

+4) Adjustable shocks

+3) Threaded Adjustable Spring Perches and springs

+2) Changed/Added anti-sway bars

+1) Non-metallic replacement bushings

___

43 Points (without moving to donor's class) - aka, TT-F

36 Points (with moving to donor's class) - aka, TT-D

41 Points (with moving to donor's class and taking the 5 points for GSR) - aka, TT-D

+3) Big Brake Kit (includes calipers/rotors/pads)

Now, stock brakes on a CRX are 9.5" rotors. I have 10.3" rotors and calipers from a GSR... would this constitute as a "big brake kit"?

if so

47 points (w/o moving) - TT-E

39 points (w/ moving, no penalty) - TT-D

44 points (w/ moving, penalty) - TT-D

i need the calculator back!!!

• National Staff

Good questions Kam,

Here's how it's going to work:

You will move the car to the GS-R base class of TTF*, and in the first section of your post, you got the mod points correct at +36. We need to add +5 to that for the asterix penalty, so now you are up to 41. Since you are already being penalized as having a GS-R, I'm going to let you have the GS-R brakes for free. If the pads are aftermarket pads, you will need to take one point more.....ie. 42. That will put you in TTD with 2 points to spare. If your wheel diameter is the same size as the GS-R's, I'll take one more point off, dropping you back to 41 pts.

I am currently working on a theoretical classification for a '93 Cobra driver that is considering swapping to the '95 Cobra R motor. Although this is not written in the rules, it seems to be common sense to me that once someone bumps their car up to a higher base level because of the engine swap (for similar cars), that a few of the other goodies that come stock on the higher level car should be given free. Otherwise, the car would essentially be getting penalized twice. However, I would consider only the exact stock part on the higher level car as a freebie--not a "similar" part. So, let's say that the '95 Cobra R has Koni adjustable shocks, and the '93 Cobra doesn't. I would allow for the same Koni adjustable shocks on the '93 after the base class bump, but I wouldn't allow KW shocks, etc for free. I think there are more things to consider in the Cobra swap than in your swap. But, if you have other mods that the GS-R has as stock items, let me know, and I will consider if they are free or not.

See you at Cal Speedway.