1st hpde

deadeyeb

I have my first hpde 1 at Lime Rock on March 27. What time should i show up at the track because I live 3 hours away? What can i expect when i get there are there any signs or is the parking done by class or first come first serve. Should I bring any tools and is it safe to leave them in parking spot while on track. Can any helmet be used in hdpe1 I have a motorcycle helmet for now but plan on purchasing a sa rated helmet in the future. thanks for any replies

Hello Fred,

Welcome to your next addiction. I see you will be driving the Audi..get that 944 out there on the track.

In regards to your questions, I personally prefer to get there the night before. The night before, I usually go to the track, claim a spot and most importantly..get a full nights rest. This will also allow you to also understand where the registration will take place, parking, etc.. In other words, you don’t want to show up early that morning and be running around. I highly recommend getting there the night before.

What to bring? I would highly recommend reading the following information on the NASA HPDE website which should address most if not all your questions.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

In addition, I would also recommend going on youtube and searching for Limerock which should give you an idea of the track. There is nothing like the real life experience however, any knowledge is valuable knowledge.

Listen to the instructors and most importantly…have fun

Alex--

I'm in California, and initially, I would drive to the track instead of trailering the car. I'm around 70-80' away from Infineon, and 3-3.5 hours away from Thunderhill. If the track opened at 6am with the morning HPDE meeting scheduled for 7:30am, I would try to arrive at the track at approx 6am. If you get there early enough, you usually can find a spot to park. It took me say 15' to unload the car, and I then took care of putting the car numbers on, setting tire pressure, torqueing the wheels, adjusting the shocks etc. Eventually, I got some track only wheels and tires, so it took time to swap over to them. If I was doing a weekend event, I would stay at a motel near the track on Saturday night, and then just get back to the track early on Sunday. If you are trailering the car to the track, then it is definitely nice to get there the night before to claim a spot and unload and prepare the car. If the track is a long ways away (over say 3 hours), then it is nice to stay at a hotel near the track on Friday night so you won't have a long drive on Saturday morning to worry about. - Jim