Would this cost points?

soundguydave

That CF bumper is an 8pt bumper! (..dont ask me how I know )

I believe base-trim for an STi, not the impreza line. If the STi base came with fogs, then deleting them for ducting only would be no pts. If higher trim STi's came with the canard (in the pic w fog covers), you'd have to take pts for the canard. Correct Greg?

I assume you're counting the splitter in that assessment for the bumper? Modified fascia, added splitter, and added canards right?

I'm pretty sure the fog lights were simply a factory option. Under 6.6 that basically makes them the same as aftermarket:

6.6 OEM Definition, Updating and Backdating Rules

...(factory options and specialty model parts are

considered non-OEM)...

If anyone then considers this a fascia modification, then I ask that you read further into 6.6:

...Some parts that are produced by aftermarket manufacturers as generic replacement parts may not

require a points assessment provided that: they are the same size and shape, and have the same

functional characteristics as the OEM part, and that they provide no significant improvement in

performance, longevity, or reliability...

My optional fog light bezels fit in the exact same spot as the OEM covers, and just like the rules read "provide no significant improvement in performance, longevity, or reliability" in terms of anything other than brake ducting.

I don't consider this a loose interpretation of the rules, hopefully everyone will look at this logically.

at Nationals 2006 Greg was going to charge me points if I covered all the car's body seams with tape I was tired of getting dragged down the straights by the rest of the TTF cars and wanted to do SOMETHING to help top end

While that cover might not be worth a point, it could be non-oem and still get dinged. If it is, you might as well take full advantage of the mod and go crazy within its limits. Or not do it. Your choice as always.

But covering seams with tape could actually change the aerodynamics.

What do you mean still get dinged for the covers? 6.6 says even non-OEM parts can be assessed no-points. There is nothing to take advantage of here. Even if I wanted to use these covers as canards or something they wouldn't do anything.

If you want to talk about "going crazy within limits"... 25) under no-points says you may cut holes for brake ducting. It doesn't specify the size or shape of the holes. I could cut a hole on my non-foglight covers to mimic the exact shape of the foglight ones. The rules don't say anything about what is behind the hole, so I could also replicate the funnel of the foglight one.

I'd really rather not have to go this route, so I hope my foglight covers will still be seen as no-points.

• Members
I'd really rather not have to go this route, so I hope my foglight covers will still be seen as no-points.

Yes, they are free and legal.