TTB - Car choice - C5 vs. Evo

Bnjmn

I am currently considering a C5 'Vette or a '05 Evo for TTB. I am looking for feedback from anyone that has prepped/driven either, as well as feedback in general. I have read the rules a bit and both are obviously competitive, just looking for things to push me one way or the other. A well used version of each looks to be around $11k. Both have lots of aftermarket support, though the C5 seems to have more higher quality parts (less ricer/show stuff masquerading as track gear). C5 seems to be able to upgrade competitively to TTA without spending as much. Any idea of costs of running each? Anything else (incl other cars) I should be thinking about?

Thanks.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• drivinhardz06

• Eric W.

• sperkins

E46 M3 (can't argue against success on this one too actually)

Elise/Exige

SRT4 (can't argue against success...)

I'd be picking between those if it was me, and I like Evos & 'vettes....

Edited by Guest

• Members

E36 M3

Ill have to look at the points sheet, but once you start tinkering w/ the E46, it jumps to TTA pretty quick I think. The E36 M3 can be RIGHT at the limit of TTB and be VERY competitive

You could also pick one up for $5k then have $6k leftover to spend in prep :o

E36 M3

Ill have to look at the points sheet, but once you start tinkering w/ the E46, it jumps to TTA pretty quick I think. The E36 M3 can be RIGHT at the limit of TTB and be VERY competitive

right up until you need to put in a replacement engine in that M3.....

• Members
E36 M3

ouch. I'll have you know I'm done with junkyard motors.

• Members

an LSx fits well where that long noodle crank straight 6 was

but that would also throw the car into TTU. I know someone who has one

....Ill have to look at the points sheet, but once you start tinkering w/ the E46, it jumps to TTA pretty quick I think....

Eric is right, not a whole lot you can do to an E46 M3 before jumping to TTA (it's a base TTC car with **). All I've done to mine is double adjustable JRZ's (non resevoir), some solid suspension bushings, sways, and a big brakes. No aero at all, and no drivetrain mods. None.

I can run 275 Toyos or 265 BFG R1's and have 1 point to spare. Running 255 Hoosier R6's, I'd have 2 points left and that would help alot as I could add headers and a chip. It would be pretty competetive there, but I still would have nothing for Wonger.

didn't he get a new one with that garbage flappy paddle gearbox though?

Nope. Wrong as usual.

need some help washing that sand out? That is why I posed it as a question

we are talking about a guy that breaks Corvettes just as easily

Well like someone said above, cannot argue with success, the car is my daily driver, still, and it has always been extremely competitive in TTB (national championship) and now TTA. But with the rule changes last year, I would probably go with an M3 for TTB, the Evo IX for TTA, the point system will not allow the evo to keep up with the M3, in TTB. M3 not competitive in TTA. Have not had the chance to play with any nationally competitive vette's this past year, in TTA.

• Members
....Ill have to look at the points sheet, but once you start tinkering w/ the E46, it jumps to TTA pretty quick I think....

Eric is right, not a whole lot you can do to an E46 M3 before jumping to TTA (it's a base TTC car with **). All I've done to mine is double adjustable JRZ's (non resevoir), some solid suspension bushings, sways, and a big brakes. No aero at all, and no drivetrain mods. None.

I can run 275 Toyos or 265 BFG R1's and have 1 point to spare. Running 255 Hoosier R6's, I'd have 2 points left and that would help alot as I could add headers and a chip. It would be pretty competetive there, but I still would have nothing for Wonger.

Im tellin ya man.. prep that sucker for GTS3. It would be a BEAST. PTA/TTA would still be tough though. I think a good TTA car at VIR can turn sub-205s and sub 134s at Road Atlanta.

It does boil down to personal preference but keeping a EVO or C5 in TTB will take careful planning and testing to make use of the limited points available. I sure could use a factory crate LS1 motor...

Im tellin ya man.. prep that sucker for GTS3. It would be a BEAST.

It'll get there...eventually. Probably not until 2011 though, unless I encounter some unforeseen financial windfall.

E46M3 = $$$ TTC + 14

Headers/Cat delete/Exhaust + 5

Shocks/Springs/Sways +7

Hoosier 255/35 18 A6 +13

10/18 CCW's

4:10 rear/ltw clutch/flywheel + 0

Plus the usual ECU tune and weight reduction and other freebies.

Total points 39 points = TTB should be a really fast car with a good driver.

I miss my E46M3

Peter

I am with you Perer, that would be the car to beat in TTB, I had my hands full with Dennis in '08 and his M3.

I was going to say I said that on page 1 - but that was on the other thread on this topic

If I was going to buy a TTB warrior, with a big budget, I would go E46 M3...

Having an additional kid in college this fall means big budgets for track events would be funded by the deficit method and my accountant is hard over against deficit spending. C5s are a lot less money to keep on track.

I am with you Perer, that would be the car to beat in TTB, I had my hands full with Dennis in '08 and his M3.

I was going to say I said that on page 1 - but that was on the other thread on this topic

If I was going to buy a TTB warrior, with a big budget, I would go E46 M3...

Having an additional kid in college this fall means big budgets for track events would be funded by the deficit method and my accountant is hard over against deficit spending. C5s are a lot less money to keep on track.

Big BUDGET is the real downside to E46M3. I had over $60,000 in mine counting cost of the car. It was over modded for TTB as it was built for the One Lap.

Peter