TTB - Car choice - C5 vs. Evo

Bnjmn

Yes, I was thinking the E46 would be pricey to mod to TTB. Cars can be had for about as much as a C5, but all those available upgrade points also represent $ that needs to be spent. And the C5 has a pretty defined upgrade route (on a budget) to TTA and even TTS can be reasonable. Another 20 points on the M3 sounds particularly pricey.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• drivinhardz06

• Eric W.

• sperkins

Out of my experience, to be a competitive TTB car E46 M3 needs is good suspension, ECU remap, racing brake pads and NOTHING else. All the other upgrades would be waste of money.

Out of my experience, to be a competitive TTB car E46 M3 needs is good suspension, ECU remap, racing brake pads and NOTHING else. All the other upgrades would be waste of money.

4:10 gears

Peter

Peter

I'm not so sure about a diff. With 4:10 you might be faster at one track and slower at another.

Peter

I'm not so sure about a diff. With 4:10 you might be faster at one track and slower at another.

In our CMC Mustang I loved the 3.73s at Barber and hated them at Charlotte/Rd Atl...

S2000

I agree, S2000 has the current track record @ VIR. The S2000 has very good potentail as a B car, with the proper driver of course.

Z06cool went from a C5, to an Evo, and back.

I wouldn't say "...and back." More like both. Can't ever have enough toys.... If all goes well, will bring the EVO out to RA to play this weekend. Still, it's the first year and getting it dialed in and running properly is challenging.

Y

I wouldn't say "...and back." More like both. Can't ever have enough toys.... If all goes well, will bring the EVO out to RA to play this weekend. Still, it's the first year and getting it dialed in and running properly is challenging.

Maybe by year 3 you will learn to drive it

Y

Maybe by year 3 you will learn to drive it

That would be a big maybe, but still got plenty of SKILZ for any England (Big or Little). Remember, to win a race you have to finish. But in your case, you have to bring a car first...

• Members

I think aero would help a ton at a track like Road Atlanta or VIR.

Im not familiar w/ E46 M3 diff, but how is a 4:10 +0 points?

I do have a question though. With the appendix to the Weight/HP... if you had a E36 M3 Sedan, you can make even more power (less weight) than the coupe? (assuming youre at the 10.25:1 limit?)

That would be a big maybe, but still got plenty of SKILZ for any England (Big or Little). Remember, to win a race you have to finish. But in your case, you have to bring a car first...

Seems like I had plenty of SKiILZ on Sunday

Seems like I had plenty of SKiILZ on Sunday

In someone else's ride? Okay, sure...

S2000

I agree, S2000 has the current track record @ VIR. The S2000 has very good potentail as a B car, with the proper driver of course.

You and Matt need to quit telling people such lies.

S2000

You and Matt need to quit telling people such lies.

Do tell. So what is the current TTB track record @ VIR Full?

Do tell. So what is the current TTB track record @ VIR Full?

2:08.2

Easy kill for eMini

Whoa! Glad I'll be there to see fast folks! I'm over two seconds off that.

Went e46 here

2005 M3 SMG (non sunroof car )

Moton's

Cat back exhaust

4.45 diff

275 nittos

Reflash ecu

Solid engine and tranny mounts

solid subframe bushings

Reinforced rear control arms with K-mac eccentric bushings

AC delete

blah blah blah

haven't had it on the track yet but it should be quick. A little worried about the stock brakes being such a heavy car.

E46 m3 is the way to go now that the price part of the rule is changed. I started the build in the beginning of 09. I would have gone with single adjustable JRZ's or Ohlins instead of the motons. If i could have those 7 points back I would have aero. Oh well. One thing at a time.

• Members
Stock brakes will be OK. Just do the brass bushing upgrade, cooling ducts and good brake pads.

Peter

Ive read conflicting things about the brass guides. I agree on pads though. Luke if you need help w/ that, lemme know

Eric, thanks bro. Carbotech already helped me out but I will melt through these things pretty quick. Just gotta get this damn tranny in. This thing is a pain in the ass. Damn smg.

....This thing is a pain in the ass. Damn BMW.

Fixed it for you...but having had my trans in the C5 out 3 times last year I think you can insert the car of your choice

Stock brakes will be OK. Just do the brass bushing upgrade, cooling ducts and good brake pads.

Peter

Ive read conflicting things about the brass guides. I agree on pads though. Luke if you need help w/ that, lemme know

I ran the Brass guides in my E46M3 One Lap car and had no problems, helped with the uneven wear of the pads, Just used never seize in the pins every time I changed pads.

Peter