TTB - Car choice - C5 vs. Evo

Bnjmn

so back to TTB...what was the fast time in TTB this past weekend at RA, high 37's? think a C5 TTB car could do that?

it would be interesting....

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• drivinhardz06

• Eric W.

• sperkins

so back to TTB...what was the fast time in TTB this past weekend at RA, high 37's? think a C5 TTB car could do that?

it would be interesting....

Yes

I think so too but once again Road A is all about that back straight which doesn't bode well for a (im assuming) 275 hp M3. What works at Road A doesn't work everywhere else. Plus I'm not sure that wonger ever got a clean lap with that 1:37. Could be wrong on that though. Can a TTB vette do a 2.07 at VIR?

Can a TTB vette do a 2.07 at VIR?

VIR is probably most similar to RA compared to a lot of smaller (flat) regional tracks, long straights, elevation, decently smooth.

Under perfect conditions I would think a well prep'd TTB C5 vette could come close to 2:07 +/- but I guess we'll never know till somebody tries.

VIR is probably most similar to RA compared to a lot of smaller (flat) regional tracks, long straights, elevation, decently smooth.

Under perfect conditions I would think a well prep'd TTB C5 vette could come close to 2:07 +/- but I guess we'll never know till somebody tries.

Seriously doubt it. Driver would have to be competing at a level far beneath his talent, too.

NASA Mid-A Records

TTA 2:07.198 10/11/2009 Mark Nunnally Chevrolet Corvette Z06

TTB 2:08.365 2/22/2009 Rene Badia Jr. Honda

• Members

Seriously doubt it. Driver would have to be competing at a level far beneath his talent, too.

NASA Mid-A Records

TTA 2:07.198 10/11/2009 Mark Nunnally Chevrolet Corvette Z06

TTB 2:08.365 2/22/2009 Rene Badia Jr. Honda

I think that TTA record is ripe for a pickin... time for you SE boys to come on up

The TTB record is going to be a little tougher though.

I think that TTA record is ripe for a pickin... time for you SE boys to come on up

I was 146 lbs overweight, on old tires, and I didn't have jason to either chase, or push me in Oct. Just having him around is worth 2 seconds

There's a 2:02 in TTA at VIR in good air...

• Members

I was 146 lbs overweight, on old tires, and I didn't have jason to either chase, or push me in Oct. Just having him around is worth 2 seconds

There's a 2:02 in TTA at VIR in good air...

Funny you bring that up.. I was reading the rules today and I didnt know this.. but apparently you arent allowed to draft/"push"!!! That was news to me!

Not sure how that is exactly enforced though... considering you can draft behind my bigass wing from like a mile away...

Funny you bring that up.. I was reading the rules today and I didnt know this.. but apparently you arent allowed to draft/"push"!!!

last weekend I could pull up on Jason like I had 20 hp on the backstraight. our cars dyno'd last year within a couple of hp of each other. later in the weekend, jason said his car could do the same when behind. makes a big difference with the guy in front is breaking the air. thats' why I always go fast behind larry carter in that big viper

• Members
Funny you bring that up.. I was reading the rules today and I didnt know this.. but apparently you arent allowed to draft/"push"!!!

last weekend I could pull up on Jason like I had 20 hp on the backstraight. our cars dyno'd last year within a couple of hp of each other. later in the weekend, jason said his car could do the same when behind. makes a big difference with the guy in front is breaking the air. thats' why I always go fast behind larry carter in that big viper

Which is why that rule is dumb. You could be closing or be close to the guy in front from pure driving skill or more power. But if someone wanted to, they could protest you, claiming you were drafting? Sounds silly to me.

Even if that werent the case, I feel like drafting is part of the strategy for TT.

what I'm seeing re: drafting would prohibit a car like Erik's TTB car purposefully going just a little faster than my little TTF car to break the air for me. (team drafting)

Incidental stuff you catch off a competitor should be fair game. If they don't like it they can pull over and point you by...

• Members
what I'm seeing re: drafting would prohibit a car like Erik's TTB car purposefully going just a little faster than my little TTF car to break the air for me. (team drafting)

Incidental stuff you catch off a competitor should be fair game. If they don't like it they can pull over and point you by...

Yea, but the rules arent that clear. Two TTA cars could be close and if a 3rd TTA driver wanted to, they could theoretically protest and DQ the first two for "drafting".

I guess that is an extreme case, but the rules as currently written are broad enough to allow it. Where does the burdon of proof lie? How does one prove they are close, but not close enough for drafting?

I can totally see it if it were a TTA/TTG car front to back all around the track. That is clear cut. But what about a TTS/TTB or something where the TTS guy isnt that fast in the corners, but blows down the straights? Just strikes me as an odd rule.

• National Staff

Even if that werent the case, I feel like drafting is part of the strategy for TT.

Well, it's not.

Drafting, as Greg pointed out, is illegal. Running close to another car in TT is a fact of life when you grid by time. I have noticed the "train" effect when running in groups and making a pass on another spec C5Z without them making a mistake is tough. Making it a practice to actually watch TT sessions I am not in makes it readily apparent who is trying to "team draft" as opposed to running close. A TTU car running front with TTB car in the middle followed by a TTS car to try to set a track record comes to mind...(didn't work by the way).

I agree with Mark - a 2:02 TTA time is attainable at VIR in a C5Z (without drafting). And a TTB C5 with a driver above his talent level can easily beat Rene in a S2000 at full course VIR. You just optimize the car set up for speed and deal with less grip in some of the corners. I would do the opposite for VIR North though...

Since I have neither the car nor the skill, I couldn't care less what car has the record, honestly. It's not like I'm going to run out and switch sleds. I just want to have enough cars in our group to qualify for a chance at tires.

Any "advantage" one might get drafting down a straight goes away under braking. The 2 of you simply cannot run that close and brake as late as possible at the end of a straight like RA or VIR. And if you brake offline, you're throwing away time.

All of us try to stay off each other enough in order to get a "clean" lap.

The only way you could get away with a little drafting would to have a buddy tow you down a straight, then dive offline just before braking. With tires on the line, that ain't gonna happen

....enough cars in our group to qualify for a chance at tires.

7-9 each in TTU, TTS, TTA, TTD and TTB this last weekend at Road Atlanta... lots of tires!

drivinhardZO6 - not that I will condone it but Roebling, if you get in at T7 exit it could be a hell of a draft to brake zone of T4 but it would take the nerves of Sperkins and the daftness of EvoCool to make it work...

if you get in at T7 exit it could be a hell of a draft to brake zone of T4 but it would take the nerves of Sperkins

in a straight line I can't keep up with sperkins with that Katech 7.0L C5R motor. did you see him crack the throttle in order not to show his cards when we all 3 of us were doing a backstraight drag race?

• Members

Even if that werent the case, I feel like drafting SHOULD BE part of the strategy for TT.

Well, it's not.

I understand that Greg. I know it is illegal, which is why I brought this whole thing up. I meant to say "should be" (edited above). It leaves a lot of room for interpretation and could be a potential cause of friction. What if one competitor has it out for another? Could he simply say that one car was too close to another and protest?

Ive had a situation at Summit Point where I was able to run one lap behind a TTS car. We were gapped, but I was faster in some sections enabling me to be pretty close, on the straights, the TTS car would pull away, but after T1, Id be right back close.

Wording of the rules would enable any other competitor to claim I was drafting and file a protest. This isnt a case where there is a TTU/TTB/TTS or a TTS/TTF car "team drafting", but the rules allow for one to make the determination that we were. Is it up to the regional director? If one is accused of this, what proof can a competitor give that they were not?

Edited by Guest

....enough cars in our group to qualify for a chance at tires.

7-9 each in TTU, TTS, TTA, TTD and TTB this last weekend at Road Atlanta... lots of tires!

Well, I'll be down there in June to remove my RA virgin status. It'll be hot, but I'll be there to have a good time. :thumbup: Just not real happy about the lack of available electricity. :thumbdn:

Even if that werent the case, I feel like drafting SHOULD BE part of the strategy for TT.

Well, it's not.

I understand that Greg. I know it is illegal, which is why I brought this whole thing up. I meant to say "should be" (edited above). It leaves a lot of room for interpretation and could be a potential cause of friction. What if one competitor has it out for another? Could he simply say that one car was too close to another and protest?

Ive had a situation at Summit Point where I was able to run one lap behind a TTS car. We were gapped, but I was faster in some sections enabling me to be pretty close, on the straights, the TTS car would pull away, but after T1, Id be right back close.

Wording of the rules would enable any other competitor to claim I was drafting and file a protest. This isnt a case where there is a TTU/TTB/TTS or a TTS/TTF car "team drafting", but the rules allow for one to make the determination that we were. Is it up to the regional director? If one is accused of this, what proof can a competitor give that they were not?

Run video, and don't draft people. Seems pretty simple.