• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• drivinhardz06

• Eric W.

• sperkins

It's hard to argue that the 71 car picked up a lot of time when he swapped to 275 scrubs that had seen an entire 40 minute race the day before and ran within .1 sec of the pre-existing track record.

Mark also changed shocks. As well as his driving suit. It's hard to argue with being in a particular state of mind and being focused and comfortable with a known setup.

-Kevin

I always get into these things late, Scott is absolutely correct the 255 A6 was the wrong tire, not only for the C5 but for us Evo guys, for a couple of reasons, I could not get any grip at all and struggled all week. Nathan blistered his, mine were grained over they were gone ¾ into the fist hot lap. Another fix would have been a 255 R6, I truly believe it would have been faster, at least for the Evo’s.

On another topic I don’t agree that the C5 should be re-classed, I believe that the Evo and the C5 are very close, and for us amateurs it provides great competition. The C5 guys have done a tremendous job setting up those cars and they drive the heck out of them, there are not a lot of them around set up and driven like that. Top five, 2 Evo’s 3 C5’s, pretty close I would say. By the way great job of driving by all, the whole competition was much better and faster in all classes than ’ 08 in an extremely difficult track.

Kevin,

I did not forget about you I only have some of those grained over 255 A6’s from the nationals of which I am going to try to see if they will come back at Sebring this weekend.

Nathan blistered his

I saw a picture of that, was that a new(ish) tire? IIRC it was the outside edge, it had to be front if I was guessing (EVO is what, 60% on the nose?) how much camber does he run?

TTB is what the thread is about... C5, E36 M3, 240SX, E46 M3, 350Z there

for TTA considering that there were only 3 cars that weren't Corvettes or Evos... and that I know at least one of them was only in TTA for extra track time...

Nathan blistered his

I saw a picture of that, was that a new(ish) tire? IIRC it was the outside edge, it had to be front if I was guessing (EVO is what, 60% on the nose?) how much camber does he run?

I don’t know what Nathan was running but I was running 3 degrees. It was the outside of the front left and I do believe it only had one session on it, not sure but I am sure Nathan will chime in. The car was junk on those tires at that track, I have never felt an A6 behave like that. The weight is 60/40 minimum comp wt 3363 lbs for me; so you know how much fun it was to turn the car in those down hill off camber corners. Nathan had an upgraded diff, I believe which helped, and me like an idiot I left points on the table and did not do it (somebody said something about having a well prepared car, Oops). Not that I could have been close to Rory not with those tires. The irony is that after all the money spent the tire guy brought the wrong tire, kind of like a knife to a gun fight.

TTB is what the thread is about... C5, E36 M3, 240SX, E46 M3, 350Z there

for TTA considering that there were only 3 cars that weren't Corvettes or Evos... and that I know at least one of them was only in TTA for extra track time...

Some C5s base in TTB and pretty much everyone except Evo, STi, and C5 found TTA pretty tough place to play consistently. It has been a while since a TTA Porsche came out to play (some of those base in TTB also).

At Mid Ohio my car was eating the front left tire in a way I have never seen before! I ran the 225/40/17 A6 with max -1.8 camber up front. After 4 sessions the tires looked ok except the left front was all chunked up across the tire and the outside shoulder was gone.

The sealant there does weird things to, in the wet its like driving on oil! In the dry around madness I was hearing a squealing rubber on something noise. At first I thought it was my wheel rubbing on the fender but I couldn't find any evidence of that so I think it was the tire on the sealant.

I say we just ban all those Corvettes!

Keep jabberin' and I'll step up to TTS to push you around the track.

Dude - I'll take all the help I can get!

Near as I can tell you don't need any more help. I figure GT3s should also be banned.

Nathan blistered his

I don’t know what Nathan was running but I was running 3 degrees. It was the outside of the front left and I do believe it only had one session on it, not sure but I am sure Nathan will chime in. The car was junk on those tires at that track, I have never felt an A6 behave like that. The weight is 60/40 minimum comp wt 3363 lbs for me; so you know how much fun it was to turn the car in those down hill off camber corners. Nathan had an upgraded diff, I believe which helped, and me like an idiot I left points on the table and did not do it (somebody said something about having a well prepared car, Oops). Not that I could have been close to Rory not with those tires. The irony is that after all the money spent the tire guy brought the wrong tire, kind of like a knife to a gun fight.

Here's a pic of the tire, and this was after 3 sessions. The # of sessions doesn't really matter, as it's the way I was over-driving the car that caused the issue. This was from the fog session on Sat morning where I leap-frogged from 3rd into 1st with my best of 1:32.8

I convinced myself before the session that I was going to drive my ass off, and the left front tire got the crappy end of the stick! I personally had issues on Friday trying to set my pressures correctly. They were jumping 10-14psi from my base temps. And with me starting in the 2nd grid position Thursday after the rain; I had lots of people working around me and lots of offs to deal with that made it impossible to get a clean lap the entire day Friday.

And just for the record, the 235 TTE, 245 TTD, 255 TTC, 265 TTB and 295 TTA baseclass for tires has never seemed logical to me.

2011-09-10120448.jpg

I ran 255/35/18s As on my car at VIR in March when I set the record. They had 5 yeat cycles on them from Road Atlanta a few weeks prior. After two session at VIR I could see the LF wanting to cord so I rotated them. FWIW I'm running -2.7 degrees camber up front with slight toe-out and the car weights 3140 with me in it and 1/2 tank of gas.